EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   grille shutters...... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/grille-shutters-16889.html)

mcrews 04-17-2011 01:56 PM

grille shutters......

nemo posted about the plastic mufflers......

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ble-16888.html

But they also make automatic grille shutters

Grill Shutters

mcrews 04-17-2011 02:32 PM

the grill is intriqing.
car makers are already building grilles uot of plastic......
this product probalby only uses 10-15% more material to make it adjustable
the added benefit is 2 fold: aerodynamic improvement and engine effeciency.

Nova seem to be a direct supplier to car manufacturers only.

BUT........

I am wondering though, what if instead of a specific finished enduse grille for EACH car, the create a generic product in several sizes thart fit behind the factory grill?????
It could be trimmed and then 'formfitted' with some type of foam trim similar to the large foam trim that home depote sells for garage doors

There would certainly be a market for the product.
Look at how many Cold Air Intakes are sold on false promise!!!

QUESTION:
to aerodynamic gurus-
is there a measurable lose in aerodynamic air flow?
test 1: the front of the grill is blocked with a smooth material
test 2: the adjustable shutter grille insert sits 1-2 inches behind the grille (let us assume that when the shutter is closed, there is 99% blockage of air passing thru)

thinking uotloud......once the space behind the front grille is 'filled' with air that is not going anywhere does that keep the air that is trying to get in out? and that air then just flows over the front grille?
or is turbulance created that ofsets any gain?

remembering that there is still the secondary (or primary) gain of the warm egine management?

racerc2000 02-12-2012 11:21 AM

I would say a grille delete or outside smooth cover would be the most efficient in aerodynamics.

air stuck in a pocket will allow air to pass over it. think pickup truck bed. not the most efficient but better then nothing and sending turbulent air into the engine bay and out under the car and in the wheelwells.

the new ford focus that has a grille like this. has ducting that goes to both sides. I believe releasing the air into the wheelwells or up the fenders to the cowl. I will try to get under my brothers and see where the ducts go exactly.

user removed 02-12-2012 11:29 AM

Essence of 1930s Packard.

I wonder if it has a sensor to meausre the outlet temperature of radiator coolant to keep the outlet coolant temperature at close to summertime levels.

regards
Mech

chrisgerman1983 05-09-2012 09:36 AM

Interesting... why do all my planned mods keep getting more elaborate! damn you all :D I was just going to go to the wrecker and cut out some color matched sheet metal for my grill blocks... now i have to make them open too...

drmiller100 05-09-2012 10:10 AM

I don't think the location of the stoppage really matters. The goal is to reduce the amount of moving air.

mcrews 05-09-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 (Post 306116)
Interesting... why do all my planned mods keep getting more elaborate! damn you all :D I was just going to go to the wrecker and cut out some color matched sheet metal for my grill blocks... now i have to make them open too...

I will be able to sleep better know how helpful I've been!!!! :thumbup:

skyking 05-09-2012 11:51 AM

The elaborate part is the automated control. I will start out with a window switch and watch the gauges.

mcrews 05-09-2012 11:55 AM

I run two small electric fans - 9" & 7" (I have my upper grille blocked).
The fans are se lower because my lower opening is not blocked.
I also have the factory 'hydraulic' fan.
I run the fans on one on/off switch. I turn it on based on the temps on my trans temp gauge and scangaugeII

chrisgerman1983 05-10-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking (Post 306146)
The elaborate part is the automated control. I will start out with a window switch and watch the gauges.

What do you plan to use to open the shutters? The most basic would be a hood popping cable... or maybe a bike gear shifter that way each "gear" would be a different level of flow. having control over how much the shutters open would allow you to keep a perfect balance between cooling and aero :thumbup: