EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Groovy heads (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/groovy-heads-24934.html)

Philscar 02-13-2013 01:48 PM

Groovy heads

FARM SHOW - Grooving Heads To Save Fuel Catching On Fast

I came across this article about grooving cylinder heads for better mileage in

farmshow.com

Thought somebody might find it interesting.

Phil

gone-ot 02-13-2013 04:39 PM

...as stated, it's "...been around for some time now..."

oil pan 4 02-13-2013 07:02 PM

I will pass. Groved head have a tendency to crack or get covered over with soot as the miles add up.

MTXA 02-14-2013 12:58 AM

Now that's using your head

Groove them rascals good enough and you can get some hydrogen injection as an added bonus.

Mmmmmm Hmmmmm, that's what I'm talking about. :thumbup:

http://www.herningg.com/projects/groovyheads/oops1.jpg

Piwoslaw 02-14-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

more power and fuel savings of up to 42.5 percent
If only car companies knew about this, then this low hanging fruit would become standard right away.

wmjinman 02-14-2013 02:47 AM

Yeah, the "up to 42.5% more power & fuel savings" part triggers the "B.S. alarm" immediately.

Even if it were only HALF of that, it would completely revolutionize IC engine efficiency. Too bad all the major manufacturers are too ignorant to capitalize on it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MTXA 02-14-2013 08:29 AM

more power and fuel savings of up to 42.5 percent

It's the truth. Those sharp edges set you up for the worst pre-ignition detonation known in the history of engine-kind, forcing the intrepid groover of all things combustion to drive like a veteran hypermiler. :turtle:

razor02097 02-14-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTXA (Post 356366)
It's the truth. Those sharp edges set you up for the worst pre-ignition detonation known in the history of engine-kind, forcing the intrepid groover of all things combustion to drive like a veteran hypermiler. :turtle:

Maybe that is where the 42.5% gain comes from. If you don't hypermile you destroy your engine. Pretty strong motivation :thumbup:

Zykotec 02-14-2013 02:39 PM

Actually, this is something that has interested me for a long time, as I started rebuilding/tuning an old v6 engine many years ago(I just can't seem to finish it though) And a lot of independents tryouts and test around the world, through many years, seems to conclusively find the same increase in low end torque and more controlled detonation in high compression (and turbocharged)engines. It will most likely only give fuel savings if you take advantage of the mod with raised compression, leaner mix or higher gearing though. And it has not been around long enough to tell for sure what negative consequences it may have over time on daily driven vehicles.(ergo, no manufacturer wants to do it yet)
I think it would be mostly recommended for weekend racers that need to use their car/motorcycle on a daily basis too, and for those who don't mind taking the head(s) off their engine once in a while just to check it :P
I haven't heard of problems with cracking heads, but some have seen soot deposits over time
It is not a unicorn, but there needs to be more scientific testing done...

wmjinman 02-14-2013 03:23 PM

When studying the performance stuff for the Salt Flats attempt(s), I learned higher compression improved power. And to reduce knock, allowing the use of high compression, the smoother the combustion chamber, the better.

So if that's true, it seems the groove would do the OPPOSITE as a super-smooth combustion chamber and increase the tendency to knock. To save the engine, the compression would need to be lowered (reducing power) or use the other tricks (retarded timing, higher octane gas, water injection....) to fight knock.

I know we were looking for POWER during that time, but it seems this was one of those things that increase both power AND economy (overall efficiency), so my guess is it would hurt, not help.

And again, statements like "up to 42.5% improvement" just SCREAM "B.S."