EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Is guaranteed 3$/gallon gas worth enough to buy a Chrysler? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/guaranteed-3-gallon-gas-worth-enough-buy-chrysler-2186.html)

SVOboy 05-06-2008 09:37 PM

Is guaranteed 3$/gallon gas worth enough to buy a Chrysler?

The title makes it sound like I don't like chrysler very much, don't it?

Quote:

ou're trying to conserve fuel, making said fuel cheaper doesn't help the cause. If you're trying to sell cars, making the stuff they run on cheaper might help. But one thing is for certain, not everyone is a fan of Chrysler's new "Let's Refuel America Gas Card."

As we calculated this morning, the incentive will likely only save a driver a few hundred bucks a year. As ABG reader Dan pointed out in a comment on the original post, buyers need to give up any other incentives currently available in order to get the gas card, and some of those deals are much bigger than $1,200 (the gas plan is in effect for three years). Automotive News is reporting that the Union of Concerned Scientists has got their own phrase for the plan: a "cynical deal." Here's the kicker, the Union's statement continues:

But a mere 3-mpg boost would yield the same savings over the 15,000 miles per year typically driven in the first three years of ownership. Over the lifetime of a vehicle, such a fuel economy increase would save drivers more than $3,000. It wouldn't stop saving drivers money after just three years.

Still, Suzuki knows a way to attracts potential buyer eyeballs when it sees one, and has announced its own fuel program: buy a new Suzuki before the end of June and get three months of free - totally free - fuel. Of course, if you think $400 a year isn't a good reason to buy a new car, don't bother doing the math on three months of no cost fuel. The automakers are playing on fears of high gas prices and hope you can't, or don't, do the math.
ABG

Frankenstipe 05-06-2008 09:45 PM

Nothing makes it worth it to buy a Chrysler or a Ford. They could be giving away free gas for the life of the car if you bought any one of their cars and I still wouldn't even think about it.

Lazarus 05-06-2008 10:58 PM

Wow what a gimmic. You have to give up other incentives so in reality instead of get a break up front it's spread out over 3 years. This is really sad.:(

Silveredwings 05-06-2008 11:42 PM

I can save even more by not buying one. ;)

Peakster 05-06-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveredwings (Post 23829)
I can save even more by not buying one. ;)

Lol! I love that statement!

cfg83 05-07-2008 12:19 AM

Hello -

In the history of selling cars, up until the last few years, have *any* car companies offered free gas programs?

CarloSW2

Nerys 05-07-2008 11:15 PM

I thought chrysler had lifetime drivetrain warranty.

I ALSO heard even if you SELL the car you can still keep the $2.99 gas. Makes it interesting to say the least. Alas I can not afford a new car so its a moot point.

hvatum 05-08-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstipe (Post 23773)
Nothing makes it worth it to buy a Chrysler or a Ford. They could be giving away free gas for the life of the car if you bought any one of their cars and I still wouldn't even think about it.

Maybe in the US right now. They will certainly get more appealing for our crowd in the next few years. They're far from incapable of making nice economic cars, they've been doing it for years. The executives were just stupid and thought Americans didn't want small efficient cars. They've learned though and have started bringing over successful cars from Europe and selling them in the US. Ford Europe has been quite profitable.

I would seriously consider buying a Ford in the UK. Due to the dollar you can get quite a nice car for dirt cheap over there.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03...-co-sub-2-sub/

The Fiesta, and other ford models, with the ecoNetic diesel beat the Prius on CO2 emissions (of course it's smaller). And, they're about half the price of a Prius in the UK. The new Fiesta will also be road tax exempt, which means any gain in fuel economy for the Prius will never pay for itself.

The people who are totally cynical about American motor companies will be surprised in the coming years.

Nerys 05-08-2008 03:07 PM

Hmmm maybe things have changed but we have some old late 80's early 90's Ford vans we would never have traded for anything. We easily put more than half a million miles on each of them before moving on to the next van.

JohnnyGrey 05-08-2008 03:19 PM

Considering that none of their vehicles can break 30mpg, I'd say no. Speak with your wallet and buy more efficient cars. They're following in Ford's footsteps by concentrating on hulking guzzlers. Let them lie in the bed they made. Even their Caliber is a chunky beast. Don't let Chrysler exploit fear of gas prices to buy you off!