EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Had a funny idea. SPANDEX! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/had-funny-idea-spandex-21495.html)

redorchestra 04-17-2012 06:32 PM

Had a funny idea. SPANDEX!

I had a funny idea. What if a spandex cover was sewn up to fit over a car, nice and snug. pulled and stretched to cover from roof to bumper to rocker panel and everywhere in-between. It would fill all those cracks and crevices and smooth out transitions. it would keep the sun out, so you could ditch the aircon. You should be able to see like those creepy body suit mascots, although it might be illegal if you are not allowed full tints in your districts.

aerohead 04-17-2012 06:44 PM

2-wheelers

Quote:

Originally Posted by redorchestra (Post 301256)
I had a funny idea. What if a spandex cover was sewn up to fit over a car, nice and snug. pulled and stretched to cover from roof to bumper to rocker panel and everywhere in-between. It would fill all those cracks and crevices and smooth out transitions. it would keep the sun out, so you could ditch the aircon. You should be able to see like those creepy body suit mascots, although it might be illegal if you are not allowed full tints in your districts.

I've seen it used on the top of semi-enclosed recumbent bicycles,with only the riders head protruding through an elastic opening.

RunningStrong 04-17-2012 06:49 PM

BMW did a concept car a few years ago with a fabric skin, and apparently it's a regular part of their design exercises.

The biggest issue is damage and washing. Perhaps cheap to repair, but difficult and even what would normally cause a stone chip could cause a considerable tear. And how on earth do you wash it?

[youtube]IGf3pzOydd0[/youtube]

redorchestra 04-17-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 301259)
I've seen it used on the top of semi-enclosed recumbent bicycles,with only the riders head protruding through an elastic opening.

or this! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r8Cz1zKDi8...2Bfairing.jpeg

Otto 04-17-2012 09:17 PM

Flutter?

baldlobo 04-18-2012 12:16 AM

not really a new concept, airplane frames are made out of similar material; early airplanes were covered in doped cloth pulled taut

redorchestra 04-18-2012 05:12 AM

and convertibles !!! :P

Sven7 04-18-2012 02:26 PM

Why not just cover cracks in painter's tape?

Cd 04-18-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningStrong (Post 301263)
BMW did a concept car a few years ago with a fabric skin, and apparently it's a regular part of their design exercises.

The biggest issue is damage and washing. Perhaps cheap to repair, but difficult and even what would normally cause a stone chip could cause a considerable tear. And how on earth do you wash it?

[youtube]IGf3pzOydd0[/youtube]

BMW Gina eh ?

I'd like to buy the letter " V " for $ 400 please.

Vman455 04-18-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningStrong (Post 301263)

Well, if it was removable...

Wife: Honey, what are you doing in the laundry room?

Husband: I'm washing the car!

graesack 04-18-2012 10:47 PM

Not such a strange idea

You'll notice that BMW got some pretty sweet shapes with fabric. A few years ago I did a series of 3-D paintings and a wall sculpture that used fabric. I built an underlying structure, stretched heavy double-knit fabric over the shapes and fastened on the back. I coated the fabric with gesso (a paste-like gypsum material) and then put on the acrylics.

What if we built the underlying structure, stretched heavy double-knit, coated it with a more permanent material and then fiberglassed it? Unnecessary parts of the armature could be removed and the backside 'glassed or coated with resin. Something to ponder and maybe do a small experiment.

Hmmm....