EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   Hail Damage -- Chance for Eco Improvement (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hail-damage-chance-eco-improvement-17043.html)

RH77 04-26-2011 07:44 PM

Hail Damage -- Chance for Eco Improvement

Well, we had a barrage of 2-3" hail hit the house recently, which will likely prompt a new roof. Depending on the insurance adjuster, we should be able to get a full roof replacement. I've been looking at Eco options for upgrade...

The neighbors down the street have the same house design and they're going with the "ridge vent" down the peak, to vent the attic, instead of the series of existing vents. It gets HOT here, and the A/C really struggles -- hopefully this should help.

My question: should it be backed-up with a fan or additional soffits? It ranges from -5F to 105F here, so Winter has to be considered too.

The next choice is what kind of shingle (not allowed to go with the steel roofing due to local ordinances). But, manufacturers make "cool" shingles that are Energy Star rated and can offer tax credits -- any experience there on effectiveness?

-RH77

Christ 04-26-2011 07:56 PM

Local ordinances prevent the use of eco-friendly recycled steel roofing, which could save homeowners 10% on their yearly energy bills.... NEWS AT NOON!

I've never been a fan of uninformed community rules and decisions based solely on "aesthetic appeal"...

Nevyn 04-26-2011 08:08 PM

Even with the A/C, perhaps look into installing a "Whole House Fan" if your configuration supports it. On days where it's only 2-3 degrees into the "turn on A/C" range, they can make a world of difference!

Your house may not be laid out for optimal use of one.

Bill in Houston 04-27-2011 01:33 PM

Radiant barrier in the attic under the roof, if you are getting new decking.

Yes, add lots of soffit vents, I think. But I live in Houston and don't know what you do with that stuff in the winter....

Ford Man 04-27-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston (Post 234506)
Radiant barrier in the attic under the roof, if you are getting new decking.

I also just put radiant barrier on top of my old roof before firring it and putting metal on. We didn't have a lot of really cold weather after the barrier went on, but I could tell it was helping hold the heat in and it should be even more beneficial for the cooling effect in the summer. If you're interested the best price I was able to find on radiant barrier was at Texas Heat Management | txheatmanagement.com Their price was cheaper per roll for the same weight material plus they don't charge extra for shipping like most companies.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there's a 10% tax credit for the vapor barrier for 2011.