EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Happy 2018! What are your new year's ecomodding & ecodriving resolutions? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/happy-2018-what-your-new-years-ecomodding-ecodriving-36016.html)

MetroMPG 01-05-2018 02:05 PM

Happy 2018! What are your new year's ecomodding & ecodriving resolutions?

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1515178452

What are you aiming for this year ... in terms of vehicular efficiency?

Post a link to your project thread if it's ongoing.

Me?

Miata: I was pumped to get the MPGiata past the 50 MPG mark in its first season. I still have lots more mods planned for the car, though my goal isn't so much to raise the MPG further as to spend the dividends of additional mods on a higher average cruising speed.
  • Replacing the water pump that sprung a leak in the last week of the season is top of the list.
  • Mods! Lower it, belly pan it, mock up some fairings/deflectors ahead & aft of the tires. Coolant heater. Fix the frequently-resetting MPGuino. Possible rear wheel skirts. Possible decklid extension/spoiler.
2000 Metro: Most of what I've been doing to this car is duplicating, rebuilding, or swapping over the mods from the Firefly.
  • Rebuilding the Kammback is the main project. I'll probably go with a temporary coroplast one until construction begins.
  • In the very near future: get wheel discs on it; coolant heater.
  • When it warms up more: trailer hitch & start work on a permanent boat tail.

Ecky 01-05-2018 02:15 PM

My mileage has been awful because of mostly city driving. The weather has been brutal enough that I haven't been reasonably able to ride my bike and displace some of those city miles. I'm hoping there's nothing else going on, the numbers have been depressingly low. :P

It's a shame my car hasn't needed anything. It starts and runs without complaint every day. Hard to get more economical than that.

I kindof want to rebuild my belly pan, and to pull and clean my IACV. I'm hoping 2018 will be the year of lithium for Insights, and I'll be able to do a reasonably cheap PHEV conversion. If anything major mechanical happens, I'll probably pull the transmission and fix the downshift to 2nd gear grind - currently I rev match.

Daox 01-05-2018 02:29 PM

I'm very excited for car mods for 2018.

2014 Mirage
I've only had this car about 3 weeks now, but it already has a 1000W block heater and deep cycle battery in it. So, I have a bunch of things planned. A few are:
  • alternator delete and onboard battery charger
  • grill block
  • adding cruise control
  • electric power steering controller (reduce assist and improve road feel)
  • PTC (electric) heater disable
  • kill switch
  • rear sway bar

2000 Insight
I'll probably get this car back on the road by spring would be my guess. The trans still needs the heating mod finished, and then it can be reassembled and reinstalled into the car. I'd still like to do a ton of other fixes on it, but we'll see what gets done. I'm sure it'll be a bunch of things, and some mods will make their way into the mix too. :)

oil pan 4 01-05-2018 03:31 PM

Find a leaf that is cheaper than dirt, buy it with cash.
Put a trailer hitch on it.

Besides that it's going to be a house centric year.
Get my well and rain water cistern going, save $50 a month on water surcharge there, paint the south facing roof with solar panels, install ground loop geothermal. Just little things.

order99 01-05-2018 04:30 PM

Had my 1993 Ford Festiva (average 46 MPG) die on me jan 2 1997. :(

Bought a $475 used 2013 ZenN 50cc scooter three weeks later (average 130 MPG) for a net efficiency gain of 84 MPG). :D

There were, naturally, a FEW trade-offs for said efficiency... :rolleyes:

Long Term plan for 2018-save my money, grab an old ATV front end, a Scooter back end and a 150cc CVT, learn to create the simplest wiring harness possible, mount 13" DOT scooter rims fore and aft, design a chassis from 1/8" plywood (initial shape) roughly eight layers of Fiberglass with thin steel reinforcing plates (sidecar-style Pilot Pod, 5 gallon tank and Aerodynamic Tailbox trunk bigger than a Harley Touring), have my trusted mechanic double-check Everything and chase that happy medium between Efficiency, Comfort and Safety under the DOT Rules for Home Built Motorcycles...

...assuming of course that NC DOT doesn't change the rules behind my back again before I finish. :thumbup:

teoman 01-05-2018 04:43 PM

Need to buy a car :S

I want to mod it with a fixed temp wai. And do a bunch of aeromods.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-05-2018 04:46 PM

I need to finally add a motorcycle endorsement in my driving license.

oil pan 4 01-05-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 558008)
Need to buy a car :S

I want to mod it with a fixed temp wai. And do a bunch of aeromods.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ake-27400.html

I don't know about the aero mods. But that will get you going on the fixed temperature air intake.

redpoint5 01-05-2018 07:36 PM

Find a screaming deal on an EV, likely a Leaf, possibly an i3, Spark, or Focus, as Model 3 and Leaf 2.0 sales ramp up. I'll give it to my parents.

If the deals are good enough, I'll get one for my wife and me.

MetroMPG 01-05-2018 08:48 PM

What are your parents driving now?