EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Harley people rant!!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/harley-people-rant-9833.html)

pgfpro 08-25-2009 10:08 PM

Harley people rant!!!

Is it me or am I just getting old.

But why do Harley people have to rev their engines when coming to a stop.

We know your engines are not efficient just by way they run and sound why do they have to make even more annoying?

Thank God my passenger side electric window works. LOL

MetroMPG 08-25-2009 10:10 PM

Say it with me.... loud pipes save lives!

Frank Lee 08-25-2009 11:16 PM

It must be a widespread yet peculiar form of vibration and noise induced epileptic seizure that manifests only in the right wrist. :rolleyes:

Why don't these same eh holes drive their cages that way?

jamesqf 08-25-2009 11:29 PM

'Cause that's half the point of buying a Harley, so you can piss people off. Sorta like the 6-year old kid who just has to run around screaming...

pgfpro 08-26-2009 12:28 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^ way to funny!!!

I just like how they play dress up with their she-male leathers and try to be all bad even though most of them never rode a motorcycle until they bought the first Harley 5 years or less ago.

OK my bad, I'll try to be good now.:rolleyes:

bgd73 08-26-2009 12:38 AM

the closest I ever got to rage was a harley revving after an eardrum injury. Long term exactly perfectly wrong for my civilization. I drempt of being a warrior king with starnge mad max gadgets thousands of time smarter than my two wheeled enemy and letting the hatred fly back at themselves unto thier demise like a village people rock band costume on harley fairy tale.because they are that twisted just for attmepting it. It ought to be a ticket for terrorizing. little boy in a grown man, some call it pedophilia, the big bad biker syndrome. I stay nice and call it mentally challenged.

Frank Lee 08-26-2009 12:51 AM

! I got every word of that! :eek:

jcp123 08-26-2009 02:10 AM

Not efficient? I thought Harleys were some of the most fuel efficient bikes, comparing to any model's direct competitors :)

My guess is that it's some kind of holdover from the old, pre-synchro days of rev matching. People got used to it, did it on their bikes, and for one reason or another it stuck around as some vetigal thing they do for which nobody knows the reason aside from...doing it because they've always done it.

Frank Lee 08-26-2009 03:07 AM

Oh please.

All that revving and blipping is for maximum annoyance.

The sport bike squids do it too. :rolleyes:

bikin' Ed 08-26-2009 03:51 AM

I got this from a Harley rider. The reason is so that everyone around them (read idiot drivers that don't pay attention)will notice them and not cut them off or run them over. Kinda like I ride all the way up to the front of the line on my bike at a red light, I want to make sure that I can be seen.

Bicycle Bob 08-26-2009 05:07 AM

I figure they are checking for plug fouling, or are a bit concerned about stalling from a low idle or choke situation.

Frank Lee 08-26-2009 05:32 AM

Oh right- they are overly concerned about SAFETY. :rolleyes:

How come I never see them in blaze orange?

How come most of them don't have helmets on?

How do they figure the noise enhances safety in the first place? It has been thoroughly disproven time and again.

I mix it up with traffic on my bicycle every day. I don't have to purse my lips and go phhht phhht phhht phhht all the way down the road so nobody hits me.

Bicycle Bob 08-26-2009 05:41 AM

ROFLOL The concern is for safe passage to be opened ahead of them. You can say "phhht phhht phhht!" almost anywhere in the world and people will get out of your way if they hear you.

Frank Lee 08-26-2009 05:48 AM

I *might*... emphasize *might* believe them if they had forward facing pipes.

Eh, who am I kidding. I still wouldn't believe that nonsense.

Quote:

You can say "phhht phhht phhht!" almost anywhere in the world and people will get out of your way if they hear you.
I suppose if I slobber enough while I'm doing it.

markweatherill 08-26-2009 07:23 AM

If you have to ask, then .....something.
(Jeep wave)

MazdaMatt 08-26-2009 08:41 AM

I loved the Jane Goodall theory that I read on another one of these loud pipes threads. Nearly cried with laughter when i read that one. I think it was Basjoos or aerohead... search it.

MetroMPG 08-26-2009 10:34 AM

I'd love to see the Australian "pinky wave" catch on in North America and get applied to this type of thing.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Australian drivers hit below belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgV9Oa6z5wY

pgfpro 08-26-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 123930)
I'd love to see the Australian "pinky wave" catch on in North America and get applied to this type of thing.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Australian drivers hit below belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgV9Oa6z5wY

LMAO Off I'm going to do it next time this happens to me, from a "want to be biker".

But only if my wife is with me.:eek: I don't want to give the wrong impression or anything. ( my Del Sol... will its a Del Sol that explains most of it and the fact its supporting a turbo turtle decal on the back bumper, the shell is a turbo) I'll have my wife give them the pinky wave also.hehehe

jcp123 08-26-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 123888)
Oh right- they are overly concerned about SAFETY. :rolleyes:

How come I never see them in blaze orange?

How come most of them don't have helmets on?

Mine is bright halloween orange :) didn't stop sh!thead from backing over it with a pickup in the parking lot though :mad:

And I ALWAYS wear my brain bucket, though I legally could get a helment exemption here in Texas. Though I don't think helments should be required (libertarian, remember?), I think you're abjectly stupid if you ride without one.

I can say, though, that since I got my loud ass pipes put on, I haven't had anyone try and change lanes into me. That happened all the time with the quieter stock pipes.

I've also heard it said that another key to safety can be wearing a loud shirt? One guy I know who used to ride said that's why he always wore tie dye on his bike :cool:

That's a pretty damn funny PSA btw :D

wagonman76 08-26-2009 12:39 PM

I actually find the Harley guys fairly respectable on the road. The most arrogant ones I see are those on dirt bikes, followed by crotch rockets. I've never seen Harley guys be reckless on the road, probably because they are so proud of their machines to the point of keeping fingerprints polished off. Maybe that's why they blip the throttle.

FastPlastic 08-26-2009 12:56 PM

A friend of mine has the loud harly pipes. One time he revved the engine so people would know we were there. Scared an old lady so bad she almost hit him with here car.

shovel 08-26-2009 01:08 PM

I don't see a problem with moderately loud-ish pipes and am willing to at least partially agree that loud pipes might save lives.

The super loud megaphone pipes are farking unnecessary, disruptive, and rude. I'm three residential streets and a canal away from a main road, and inside my house with the windows shut - I shouldn't be able to hear motorcycles on the main road over the sound of my HVAC fan. Especially at 2am when I'm trying to sleep. Wish those guys would learn a bit of manners...

jamesqf 08-26-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikin' Ed (Post 123883)
I got this from a Harley rider. The reason is so that everyone around them (read idiot drivers that don't pay attention)will notice them and not cut them off or run them over.

Sure. That's why they do it on residential streets, with not another car in sight, I suppose?

And if you're riding a motorcycle (which I've done most of my life, though never Harleys - I could never manage the legally-required beer gut :-)), you'd better know, deep down in your soul, that no one is ever going to give you the right of way, and that about one in ten drivers really want to run over you, if you just give them the chance.

Frank Lee 08-26-2009 04:00 PM

I just want to run over the noisy ones. The rest are OK.

JasonG 08-27-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 123994)
I just want to run over the noisy ones. The rest are OK.

Amen to that. :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 123887)
I figure they are checking for plug fouling, or are a bit concerned about stalling from a low idle or choke situation.

I grew up in a racing family. Most Harley riders don't get the concept that when you change exhaust pipes you need to match the jetting to them. Often the short "drag" pipes will never idle right due to harmonics I won't go into here. Usually to keep them from leaning out and blowing a hole in the piston they need to be a tad rich n the top end. Add a monkey wrencher that goes up another size "to be safe" and the thing will foul plugs worse than a 2 stroke at idle.

P.S. Don't idle a 2-stroke for more than a couple of seconds. WOT or off. Makes for better FE too now that I think about it......

Peter7307 08-27-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 123801)
Say it with me.... loud pipes save lives!

I have seen some drivers - and I use that term very casually - have a Police car behind them with lights and siren both on and STILL didn't move over !

Loud pipes ain't gonna do it guys.

Didn't know the "pinkie" went overseas. Works very well too by the way , especially when done my an attractive female.

Pete.

Frank Lee 08-27-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastPlastic (Post 123951)
A friend of mine has the loud harly pipes. One time he revved the engine so people would know we were there. Scared an old lady so bad she almost hit him with here car.

You should have smacked him upside his stupid head for her.

bgd73 08-27-2009 09:23 PM

jetting, pipes, it doesn't matter. they like the big jugs because it has to chase more than 360 degrees to gain another fire. A flat two, subaru nicknamed 360, is exactly how many degrees it has to wait. A 90 degree vtwin has to go 90 farther, 450, some joking of making a 420 with advance. (still doesn't float my boat, harley einstein).. making an ass out of themself...bad math. simply so. Its a rebel, a jerk, a terrorizer, ought to be as illegal as EGR ought to be illegal...both still out there to hurt us all...like a bad exhaust system...

bmw has a flat two motorcycle, it is high priced for a better reason than harley.

Coyote X 08-27-2009 09:31 PM

Loud pipes, small ***** :) that is more like it

The main problem with the idea they are safer is you can't hear them in front of the bikes at all, only after they have passed you. Also low deep bass sounds don't carry direction well so you might know there is a poser harley guy within a 1/4 mile of you but not have any idea what direction he is. I hear people always trying to tell me they are safer by saying how they never get cut off anymore. I tell them I put 20k miles a year on my 85db quiet bike and never get cut off. Mainly because I know how to ride and watch out for other cars instead of trying to impress pedestrians with my cool bike and not watching the road.

I figure a loud horn is more useful so you can be a normal quiet person going down the road till you need to be loud then you can hit a button and make all kinds of higher pitched noise that everyone will know where it came from.

NeilBlanchard 08-27-2009 09:32 PM

Hi,

The oddest thing about Harley engines is the single crank pin, and the "knife & fork" connecting rods. This is inherently (very) unbalanced, and so they cannot rev very high, and they must have bizarre intake and exhaust pressures. LumpLump...LumpLump...LumpLump...

The 90 degree twins that I know about (Ducati and Motto Guzzi) have 270 degree cranks, making them primarily balanced. BMW boxer engines have 180 degree cranks, so they are also primarily balanced.

[Edit: small pinkies -- that's it!]

2000mc 08-27-2009 10:21 PM

harley rant... well my rant would be more that law enforcement hasnt squashed the insanely loud pipes.

but if the muffler falls off your minivan, the first or second cop ya drive past will give ya a fix it ticket.

Frank Lee 08-27-2009 10:25 PM

Thank you, you are correct.

My theory is that most of these stupid cops have open pipe hardleys themselves. :rolleyes:

evolutionmovement 08-29-2009 10:45 AM

Awesome! I've hated these Harley sissies for years and it's nice to see they're so hated by others. Loud pipes to the extent that they have don't do anything but piss people off. I always give motorcyclists plenty of space, except for Harleys.

I almost killed one of them once when I was cruising on the highway, trying to cool my head off from some personal **** and he rolled up alongside my open windows and blasted pipes just to be funny. He wasn't laughing when I immediately swerved into him and made him jump two lanes. Good thing for him, I guess, that there wasn't a car on his other side for whatever the life of a Harley poser is worth living. What, no I didn't do it on purpose, officer—I just dropped my cell phone and didn't see him when I went to pick it up. You know us drivers—never paying attention, can't move our bodies without turning the wheel.

Those were my angrier days. I'm much better now.

MadisonMPG 08-29-2009 11:20 AM

^^^Strange

FACTS:
Loud pipes are obnoxious, end of story.
Good sounding pipes are nice.
Street bike riders are the most annoying riders.
People need to pay more attention.

VanFan 08-29-2009 09:50 PM

As a (dormant) motorcyclist and neighbor to the Hells Angels of Oakland, I have come to recognize that sector of the biker population which is more bike fetishist than the other 98% (99%?).

I have never owned a vehicle that I didn't see as only transportation (double negative!). I have had many bikes and cars in 40 years on the road, rarely washed and never waxed them.

Just keep them in safe running condition with a clean windshield. But I look forward to getting my 1981 BMW R65 back together (blown tranny) and maybe getting a new Honda CRF230M late next year.

JeremyinIndy 09-02-2009 04:26 AM

If "loud pipes save lives" then why can't the car drivers have straight pipes or run open exhaust cutouts on the street? My grey T-bird apparrently seems to go invisible ALL THE TIME and I want some of that extra safety too! :D

Is it the same reason they don't have to even wear a helmet, yet we're legally forced to wear seatbelts inside a many-thousand pound steel cage built to protect us? I know that we need organ donors, but come on.

The excessive throttle blips while pulling up to a stop *could be* rev matching for the downshifts (they're not, all the bikes I've ever watched do this hold the clutch until they have it back in neutral after stopped)
It *could be* trying to keep a badly adjusted carb from loading up on fuel from idling too long (it's not, all cruiser bike carbs aren't bad and if yours is, there are even people you can give money to who can fix them!)

Just like you don't have to keep the throttle pinned until your clutch is fully disengaged for a gear change, but it's not as loud that way and the revs can match faster. Or you don't have to rack them off going under every bridge, honest the trolls won't get you if you don't.

+1 on the monkey / loud noise reference. There is a weird primal feeling of power to drive or use something obscenely loud. Doesn't really seem to matter if it's a car, chainsaw, motorcycle, subwoofer, rivetgun, air tools... It wakes up the unevolved primate part of your mind. "Hahaha, I can shatter the peaceful silence with my really f**king loud thing! Bow before me all things that are not loud!!! I am loud, destructor of worlds!"

So, wait how do the guys with Electric Motorcycles ride safely? I mean, they're QUIET, that can't be safe! Put a card in the spokes? Get a megaphone and pretend they're Crazy Frog?
Brrrrrrriiiiing dingdingdadadingding baba breeeeeeeeee breeeeeeeeeeeeee breeeeeebaba ding bada biiimm biiiiiiiimmm...

In conclusion: Loud Pipes piss everyone off.
Loud pipes make people build quieter vehicle cabins and put in bigger stereo systems so they WON'T HEAR things like bikers or your child / pedestrians before they run them down.
Pinkie wave at bikers. :thumbup:

Doofus McFancypants 09-02-2009 02:35 PM

love the Pinkey Wave - have to use that.

Has anyone challanged the Seatbelt laws and sited the Helmet law as the reason for the challenge?

I would think a good lawyer could make a strong case for "No Helmet? then no seatbelt"

I always wear seatbelt - I like my face to stay on my head and not end up outside the windshield.

captainslug 09-02-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyinIndy (Post 125415)
So, wait how do the guys with Electric Motorcycles ride safely?

The same way every other motorcyclist should: By riding cautiously.

Loud pipes won't save lives if they're piloted by reckless idiots.

shovel 12-03-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doofus McFancypants (Post 125466)
love the Pinkey Wave - have to use that.

Has anyone challanged the Seatbelt laws and sited the Helmet law as the reason for the challenge?

I would think a good lawyer could make a strong case for "No Helmet? then no seatbelt"

I've often wondered why it's perfectly legal to sell engine, seat, wheels and bars motorcycles, but not legal to sell a four wheeled ultra-light, ultra-basic car without jumping through a whole other set of cost prohibitive hoops.

On the topic of loud pipes... anyone catch the South Park lampooning biker jerks? It's like they were reading this topic... :thumbup:

dcb 12-03-2009 06:29 PM

re: light 4 wheeler, Hmm, I wonder, if you have the purchaser sign a waiver or something like "The buyer acknowledges that this vehicle aint no cage, It might keep the rain off of you but maybe not for long if it is raining squirrels"