EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Has anyone tried HHO? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/has-anyone-tried-hho-22121.html)

autotech 06-02-2012 08:12 AM

Has anyone tried HHO?

I am thinking of fabricating an HHO unit, and was wondering if anyone had tried it and what success they had. I currently have GM 3.1L and 3.8L FI engines. HHO is where you evaporate hydrogen gas from water using an electrically charged cell, and is alleged to gain up to 20mpg. I suspect reality to be closer to 10, though.

Feel free to post any info on HHO, as I am really interested in learning more.

Ryland 06-02-2012 09:10 AM

The Unicorn Corral - Page 2 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

mcrews 06-02-2012 09:55 AM

has anyone tried 'search'??????????????????????????????

kind of a novel unique feature........you may never have seen it before........SEARCH.

t vago 06-02-2012 10:52 AM

Let me Google that for you!

mechman600 06-02-2012 01:05 PM

Come on, I LOVE these threads. Let's see what happens here. Maybe we will actually get ABA testing results on HHO........FOR ONCE.

t vago 06-02-2012 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, this thread has raised a vitally important question to us ecomodders...

Where'd the turtle go?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...0&d=1338658975

gone-ot 06-02-2012 04:13 PM

...the Turtle is off A-B-A testing HHO systems for the water-content in lettuce leaves?

oil pan 4 06-02-2012 04:27 PM

Sorry, HHO doesn't produce results like our proven fuel economy mods.

Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder

ChazInMT 06-02-2012 05:19 PM

Here, have a slice of HHO inspired cake.

http://i52.tinypic.com/33dbhqa.jpg

Why Yes by golly, that IS unicorn dung!

gone-ot 06-02-2012 08:07 PM

...and "...how colorful..." that magical Unicorn meadow-muffin is!

mcrews 06-02-2012 08:29 PM

otm,
Have I ever told you how friggin' entertaining your posts are!!!!!! :thumbup:

(just don't know if it's the altitude or if you have too much time on your hands :confused:

gone-ot 06-02-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 310138)
otm,
Have I ever told you how friggin' entertaining your posts are!!!!!! :thumbup:

(just don't know if it's the altitude or if you have too much time on your hands :confused:

...obliviously, my altitude (2,330') has too much time (t = 1/) on its altimeter to become serious-minded whilst wandering around in such a colorful Unicorn corral!

...however the word you were thinking of, but couldn't remember, was obnoxious (ha,ha).

Iexpedite 06-02-2012 11:52 PM

Some of you guys are sooooo funny. New people are stupid. We should dog every new person who has a question they are legitimately interested in having answered. We could chase them off before they even get started in the whole ecomodder thing.

I guess another approach would be to provide links to the original posts. But that wouldn't be as much fun. Truth be told, posters aren’t really needed here anyway. Most questions have been answered already...it is just a matter of searching them out.

Ryland 06-03-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iexpedite (Post 310155)
I guess another approach would be to provide links to the original posts. But that wouldn't be as much fun.

I was the first to respond and my post was a link that had a bunch of threads on Hydrogen in gasoline engines, it was covered right away! then the slightly condescending reminders that there is a search feature so that they can seek out the exact info that they are looking for, but it's hard to tell someone that they can search for their answer without being condescending, so where do you draw the line?

oil pan 4 06-03-2012 02:16 AM

We do have lots of lurkers.
Search engines put lots of people on this site and the usually find what they are looking for.

Part of the issue is most of us really hate HHO with a passion.
They tell you all these wonderful things will happen with HHO, they take your money, then you get no improvement in FE and some people have had their vehicles damaged by these things.

t vago 06-03-2012 06:56 AM

Sorry, but part of the issue is also that some posters make posts where they expect other people to just do their research for them. "I have a really simple question about a modification, that I could have answered myself, if only I had bothered to do a simple search for the question. Feel free to post your results!" indeed. Some of us regulars here have neither the time nor the inclination to post more comprehensive responses that could have easily been found using that strange-looking text box that has the words "Search EcoModder.com" inside it. These posters, who only expect us to do their work for them for free, do not contribute anything meaningful to this site, and are generally not welcome. I, for one, do not mind chasing off this sort of new user.

SecondWind 06-03-2012 09:26 AM

I have to say that assuming everyone has the same high level of computer experience, and therefore their question indicates a lazy nature, is unjustified. The post which pointed the newbie to the correct thread was all the response required.

mcrews 06-03-2012 09:31 AM

:o:thumbup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by t vago (Post 310172)
Sorry, but part of the issue is also that some posters make posts where they expect other people to just do their research for them. "I have a really simple question about a modification, that I could have answered myself, if only I had bothered to do a simple search for the question. Feel free to post your results!" indeed. Some of us regulars here have neither the time nor the inclination to post more comprehensive responses that could have easily been found using that strange-looking text box that has the words "Search EcoModder.com" inside it. These posters, who only expect us to do their work for them for free, do not contribute anything meaningful to this site, and are generally not welcome. I, for one, do not mind chasing off this sort of new user.

could not have stated the casd any better myself!
I go above and beyond for the new poster who give at least 10%.
Search functions (in forums) are like smiley faces (:p;):D:(:confused::mad: ) the are an itergrel part of ALL forums and have been for YEARS.
The day a noobie shows up and expresses genuine surprise at the exisitance of a sheach button, I will apologize to him/her.
Of course, IF that were to happen, that unique poster :eek: would be so rare as to belong in the unicorn corral anyway!! :rolleyes:

An finally, I make a point to greet noobies and encourage their ideas, when presented in a a manor that reflects normal expectations of effort :D

mcrews 06-03-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iexpedite (Post 310155)
Some of you guys are sooooo funny. New people are stupid. We should dog every new person who has a question they are legitimately interested in having answered. We could chase them off before they even get started in the whole ecomodder thing.

I guess another approach would be to provide links to the original posts. But that wouldn't be as much fun. Truth be told, posters aren’t really needed here anyway. Most questions have been answered already...it is just a matter of searching them out.

Ok, I'll bite.

you are being hypocritical.
Bad us for using sracasm on a noob but ok for you to use sarcasm to make your point????? :rolleyes:
please........

You lose.

mcrews 06-03-2012 09:40 AM

And while I'm on a roll.
My 'goal' is not to run someone one off...... it's to get them the buck up. Strap on their spurs and get in the game.

nemo 06-03-2012 10:05 AM

I like sarcasm, I can take and give it, but cut the guy some slack it was his first post here. Maybe his first post anywhere. Will he or would he have be a contributor we may never know, but he mentioned fabricating the device. Maybe if pointed in the right direction he would be fabricating things that work.

Ryland and oil pan 4 were on target with their first posts. The problem as I see it is that the same questions pop up regularly. So, how do we welcome these people and get them on the path to enlightenment?

ChazInMT 06-03-2012 10:33 AM

My problem with some people who come in all innocent first posting, "Gee Golly Wally...Have you ever tried that HHO?? I hear you can really get some nifty results from it, But I'd sure like to find out more!"

These people have indeed been "Experts" (meaning they have a web site and are trying to sell you something) on the subject and are just playing stupid to keep the conversation active. With a link to their site to the post here and 20-150 responses, it ups their Google search score so they are closer to the top of the list.

I make sure I respond negatively so anyone doing research may find my comments and get second thoughts about spending $200 for plans and a "Supercharged Excitation Module" for their HHO system.

So yeah, I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt anymore than a judge would give a defendant the benefit for showing up in court while drunk for a DUI trial. Walk into a room full of Astronomers and tell them you have it on good authority that the Earth is flat. Walk into a room full of Doctors and tell them you don’t take vaccines because they cause autism.

BTW, Who tagged this? Was it the Innocent "don't know nothin bout no computers" autotech?

t vago 06-03-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChazInMT (Post 310181)
These people have indeed been "Experts" (meaning they have a web site and are trying to sell you something) on the subject and are just playing stupid to keep the conversation active. With a link to their site to the post here and 20-150 responses, it ups their Google search score so they are closer to the top of the list.

I love making this tactic backfire on these charlatans. They post here on this board as many times as they want about their wonder devices, but I'll keep responding and pointing out how their wonder device is flawed. They give up as Google progressively becomes more and more "poisoned" with said responses.

And to those who say words to the effect of "that gosh-darned search function is just too flippin' advanced for a n00b," why is it that they're able to make posts at all? I'd say it'd take the same amount of mad user skillz.

oil pan 4 06-03-2012 02:43 PM

HHO alone has discredited the entire ecomodder culture.
Because of HHO regular people assume ecomodders are mad scientists that build and install crazy contraptions that deliver no increase in fuel economy.

I think HHO has single handedy kept ecomodding from going main stream.

gone-ot 06-03-2012 04:21 PM

...I have a single-word response for HHO posters:

SEARCH

...before you preach.

mechman600 06-03-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 310200)
I think HHO has single handedy kept ecomodding from going main stream.

I think that amongst lurkers or soon-to-be ecomodders, you are correct. As soon as they get lured into the whole HHO thing and find out the hard way that it does squat, they are turned off completely.

That was me a few years ago. But I got over it. Therefore, I agree with the harshness of most of our responses to HHO questions.

I think the reason ecomodding hasn't gone mainstream is the simple fact that generally speaking, gear heads in north america do not give a fart about eco anything. Ecomodding is seen as counter to gearhead culture. When my mechanic colleagues found out that I frequent this forum, I was instantly judged.

Iexpedite 06-03-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 310176)
Ok, I'll bite.

you are being hypocritical.
Bad us for using sracasm on a noob but ok for you to use sarcasm to make your point????? :rolleyes:
please........

You lose.

Two different things. You're not a noob, my use of sarcasm isn't going to chase you off.

Ryland posted a hyperlink for the guy, that would have been enough. If you didn't want to take the time and find the post for him...Let him know it has been discredited and a simple search will show why. Or you could just say nothing.

Mechman600 said he came here because of HHO...and was told it was a scam. You could tell him nicely or you could flame him for being new and ignorant of the subject.

mcrews 06-03-2012 07:50 PM

how many noobie posts have you posted on?
I mean the second or third post.
I have ....multiple times. There is a recognizable pattern to noobie posts. 90% of the time I acknowledge and encourage.
But, believe me you can recognize lazy poster. (not just hho posters)

mechman600 06-03-2012 07:58 PM

I joined Ecomodder after I had already tried HHO and failed bitterly. Too bad I didn't join sooner or I would have a couple hundred bucks more in my pocket. You know.....enough to buy one of those eBay electric turbochargers. ;)

oil pan 4 06-03-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechman600 (Post 310226)
I think the reason ecomodding hasn't gone mainstream is the simple fact that generally speaking, gear heads in north america do not give a fart about eco anything. Ecomodding is seen as counter to gearhead culture. When my mechanic colleagues found out that I frequent this forum, I was instantly judged.

Unless you are working on turbodiesels. With diesels most things that boost engine power will boost fuel economy too.

mcrews 06-04-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 310252)
Unless you are working on turbodiesels. With diesels most things that boost engine power will boost fuel economy too.

with talk like that.....I may have to go find a jetta tdi!!!!!!! :eek:

UFO 06-04-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 310252)

There are a few exceptions to this. Larger injectors, the most common power modification will not necessarily improve economy. The common wisdom on injector mods for fuel economy is to increase the injection pressure and shorten the injection event. Mods for power typically just extend the duration of the injection event.

Also, most people modding for power remove the EGR, and for VWs that has not been shown to improve economy.

palmer_md 06-04-2012 07:10 PM

I'm not at all interested in HHO, but I came across this thread about HHO and not one post about it, just posts about using search to find info about HHO. A quick search finds plenty of other threads talking about using search to find the information you want. Somehow the angrier the posters get about using search the harder it becomes to use search and the more you find posts telling you to use search. I find this humorous.

mcrews 06-04-2012 09:25 PM

really, come on. It not our job to reintroduce and re-explain a 'dead horse'.
But here is an example:
Had you been new and said exactly that as your first post, then i and maybe some others would have directed you to the correct links.
You have really proven my point about lazy noobies.

oil pan 4 06-04-2012 09:44 PM

The few creditable HHO tests I have found showed no gain in fuel economy or slight losses in fuel economy.
So much for the 20%, 30%, 50% claims from the HHO websites trying to sell you something.
IF it worked as advertised don't you think the OEM would have picked it up by now?
Do you think if HHO worked and delivered a 20% increase in fuel milage the OEMs would be spending billions of dollars developing electric hybrid technology and putting thousands of dollars worth of hybrid tech on these cars if these $100 magic HHO machines really worked?

UFO 06-05-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 310487)
The few creditable HHO tests I have found showed no gain in fuel economy or slight losses in fuel economy.
So much for the 20%, 30%, 50% claims from the HHO websites trying to sell you something.
IF it worked as advertised don't you think the OEM would have picked it up by now?
Do you think if HHO worked and delivered a 20% increase in fuel milage the OEMs would be spending billions of dollars developing electric hybrid technology and putting thousands of dollars worth of hybrid tech on these cars if these $100 magic HHO machines really worked?

Seems obvious enough. MPG sells cars these days.

hhomakers 07-21-2012 02:21 PM

We've been using HHO for years now we've gain about 20% mpg on just about any car/truck we've tested on. (2006 h3 hummer,2002 5.4 f150,2002 grand am gt,97 dodge 1500 360, 2009 galant v-6) just to name a few. The galant we just took to pa and back to wi 22oo round trip. 3 people in car plus luggage with out hho 25.8 mpg brought my son back and his stuff packed in so now a total of 4 people we got 32.3 mpg. This is driving a few miles over the speed limit no ***** footing the gas. I will say this probably 95% of people selling hho units or even people making them don't make them correct. There is alot to understand with plate size plate gap the amount of plates, you need your voltage drop per plate gap under 2 volts when car/truck is running otherwise it will work and you will be with the guy eating his cake a post or so up. This is really unfortunate. These should be placed on all cars/trucks right from factory, unfortunately they are in bed with the oil companies. It would be no different than filling your windshield washer fluid to keep one of these working.
Also HHO torches are nothing compared to any other fuel using it in my hvac profession brazing soldering is done in 1/4 of the time.
People say it takes x amount of energy to make but they dont realize al the energy lost making gas for their cars/trucks ( remember its trucked in and pumped into a tank before you even get it in you own tank) The amount of energy wasted on fossil fuels from start to its put into your gas tank is crazy.
as far as HHO and solar we've even build a unit with such low amp draw we can make a torch with a small solar panel now thats free energy.
We can take that same torch into water thats right into water a burning flame in water and heat the water up boiling.
we are in now way affiliated with hho4free website but there is plenty of good info there.
Anyway if you have any questions you can email us at hhomakers@yahoo.com we can help you.

oil pan 4 07-22-2012 01:25 AM

The only thing we need help with is finding a creditable authority who will back up these 20% and higher fuel economy gains.

hhomakers 07-22-2012 10:18 PM

Im sorry i wasnt being rude with my before sayings.

i understand that and it seems the ones they do it is on the jar ones from water4gas that never worked lol no surface area to make any sort of hho. If i had the money I would but I can hardly afford food on the table anymore lol
I do have a new unit i made its a drycell but it is without the plex glass bolts gaskets, ive found material that holds up i molded them but i cant sell it i cant afford a patten so here it sits just like many people with ideas.

the auto industry is making it harder to even use hho as they make their electronics for the fuel system more difficult to trick and thats also with anything to help boost fuel or power, its not like the old days of a 4 barrel manifold swap to a holly carb, bigger cam.

its kinda funny from autos to government they seem to do what they want and dont care what the majority of the people want.

government says we will move from fuel to electric cars thats what they fund so thats what we get .. :-(

mcrews 07-22-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhomakers (Post 318151)
its kinda funny from autos to government they seem to do what they want and dont care what the majority of the people want.

government says we will move from fuel to electric cars thats what they fund so thats what we get .. :-(

I'm sorry but you now have lost more credibility with that statement.
Pray tell.....what do 'the majority' of people want????????

According to some europeans that post here, all we build is what people want....big cars and trucks!!!
Yeah, the governemt (obama) wanted to puish the volt......but they stopped production because sales where so pathetic.

Less than 1% of all autos produced are electric.