EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Heads up needed for buying a Hybrid (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/heads-up-needed-buying-hybrid-21451.html)

Braebyrn 04-15-2012 11:04 AM

Heads up needed for buying a Hybrid

After buying a 1972 Honda C-70 scooter (too slow) and then a Honda Silverwing scooter (hands fell asleep), I am looking for a Hybrid.

The Honda Insight looks like an interesting vehicle. Anybody see one that is wrecked, or in need of minor repair? 5 speed of coarse.

Ryland 04-15-2012 11:54 AM

Last one that I heard of around here that was wrecked sold for $2,500, buying one with a bad battery pack from someone who is afraid of the high dealer repair costs would be the way to go in my mind.

Braebyrn 04-15-2012 12:28 PM

Wrecked is fine by me. I have more time than money.............

GRU 04-15-2012 07:53 PM

how about a early 90's civic. can easily get 40 mpg stock and if you P&G probably around 55 which is pretty much what you're gonna get with a insight

FXSTi 04-16-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRU (Post 300811)
how about a early 90's civic. can easily get 40 mpg stock and if you P&G probably around 55 which is pretty much what you're gonna get with a insight

Pretty sure he is talking about first generation Insight with 5 spd, not the new 4 door.

Braebyrn 04-16-2012 12:46 PM

Right, looking at the first gens.

3-Wheeler 04-16-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRU (Post 300811)

GRU,

If you have driven an Insight, you would not have made a statement like above!

Please do more research before making a flat statement like that.

Take your 55 estimate and double it, and that's what I typically get in warmer months.

Jim.

Ryland 04-16-2012 04:43 PM

A big question for me and a reason why I'm not willing to invest in a Insight, is do you put enough miles on a car per year to make it worth while?
I would also be wary of doing body work on a vehicle with an all aluminum frame and body, because you can't pound dents out in the same way, that is part of why if I was faced with two low cost Honda Insights, one with body damage and one with battery issues, I would go for the one with battery issues, they will both take a lot of time and thus outsourcing the repairs will cost a bit, but if you are willing to learn how to refurbish a battery pack you can save your self a ton of money.

Braebyrn 04-16-2012 05:15 PM

60 miles per day, 6-7 days each week. 65-75% freeway. I just sold two scooters to fianance a vehicle for myself and once in a while another person in the comfort and safety of a car. My better half is also a factor in this decision.

I am not afraid to tear into a damaged car or cars like you did to make one whole. I have more time than money and some connections in the repair business.

Looks like I will have to look into your suggestion of refurbishing a battery pack just in case a good deal on an Insight comes up.

Someday, someone, somehow will get ahold of me and say, I have the perfect car for you. Maybe it won't be the Insight.

PR03 04-16-2012 07:59 PM

hi, I found many Insights on Craigslist.
Have you ever tried using "seach temptest" it scans every craiglist add for you.

There was one guy in texas who was a Insight wrecker... he had a pile of them.