Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2015, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile Hello

Just wanted to stop in and say hello. Have had a 96 Civic HX for awhile now, bouncing among family members, and now it's back to me to own it. Since I got back into the Honda scene was trying out other forums, not very helpful and some are actually quite angry if someone asks what they deem as a "bad question". I was impressed that here on this forum it seemed to be a higher level of respect, and that's why I joined! I appreciated that!

Since I have been out of the Honda scene for awhile, I forgot about how to actually drive the HX. That the "surge" feeling that happens on the highway is the lean burn kicking in. Here I thought that all my repair work (20 years, things tend to need to be replaced by then) was faulty, until I found this website and began to get a reminder of the way the HX operates!

And then I knew that the "slight stumble/surge" feeling was a good thing and the repairs I had done were correct! I'm only getting 32mpg right now, but I think that will improve as I remember how to drive this car again.

Everything and I mean everything has been replaced and repaired on this, and yeah my family is the original owners of this car.

20 years isn't too bad realizing that the components lasted that long!

it's like what hasn't been replaced at this point? lol. Car is actually running better now than when it was new!

The problem was I couldn't seem to get mpg's any higher than 25, til I took a look at the oil level, 0.5-0.6 quarts too high. Mechanic filled it too high not remembering that the new civic's take more oil. I have since drained the oil, filled to the correct level and mpg's went up to 32! Finally!

so just stopping in to say hi.. I'll be around!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
welcome.
lots of Hondas here!
don't forget to increase the tire pressure!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 12-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
welcome.
lots of Hondas here!
don't forget to increase the tire pressure!
hey.. thanks for the welcome! And yep have already increased the pressure about 4-5psi higher. Just don't want to go too high and wear the centers out of the tires..
Old 12-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome,

Lots of Honda folks here. Am sure that you will get many helpful hints from members of this site. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilOne View Post
Welcome,

Lots of Honda folks here. Am sure that you will get many helpful hints from members of this site. Happy Holidays!
Thanks!! Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you too! I am definitely reading all the older posts, lots of info to help re-orient me to how to eco drive again!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rice rocket - '97 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
welcome! can't wait to see pics. There needs to be an hx owners club. Didn't realize how many there where.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor97hx View Post
welcome! can't wait to see pics. There needs to be an hx owners club. Didn't realize how many there where.
hey thanks conor! Yeah when I get it all done I will definitely take pics! and an HX owners club is an awesome idea! I did a google search didn't find anything! I did find something out that could be true. When I was autozone looking for parts, and you have to select your year,make,model of car. When it came to engines it showed that the HX model was 1% of the Civic's production for that year. Well in my case 96. I dont know how accurate that is but it kind of makes sense. And for that year I believe they couldn't keep up with demand and had to bring over more from Japan since the US made ones were all being sold. Ok with that said.. I think it was around 400,000 they sold in 96. So that means for 96 alone only 4000 of those were HX's! Wow.. that is a low number.

But interesting how many of them have survived compared to the DX, EX, etc. Makes me think that the HX owners tried to keep the cars in better shape and maybe didn't give into the "Fast n Furious" type mentality.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rice rocket - '97 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneheadlight View Post
hey thanks conor! Yeah when I get it all done I will definitely take pics! and an HX owners club is an awesome idea! I did a google search didn't find anything! I did find something out that could be true. When I was autozone looking for parts, and you have to select your year,make,model of car. When it came to engines it showed that the HX model was 1% of the Civic's production for that year. Well in my case 96. I dont know how accurate that is but it kind of makes sense. And for that year I believe they couldn't keep up with demand and had to bring over more from Japan since the US made ones were all being sold. Ok with that said.. I think it was around 400,000 they sold in 96. So that means for 96 alone only 4000 of those were HX's! Wow.. that is a low number.

But interesting how many of them have survived compared to the DX, EX, etc. Makes me think that the HX owners tried to keep the cars in better shape and maybe didn't give into the "Fast n Furious" type mentality.
Yeah I've always had problems finding specific parts, its funny talking to people about it because nobody knows wtf it is. I think 97 was like 5%, my girlfriend worked at autozone so i always got discounts lol. I was surprised on mine when i bought it how good of shape it was in for a civic of that year i guess that is true.

Reply  Post New Thread