EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello... again. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-again-12527.html)

chaster 03-06-2010 12:33 PM

Hello... again.

Hi everyone,

This is the second time introducing myself.. The first time seems to have gone into the ether some how... Hopefully this time it will work.

First off, I should say, I'm not an eco-modder by the traditional definition (my car has absolutely no mods, and I only try to drive the speed limit to save gas). However, I am a huge proponent of electric vehicles and therefore, I think I have a lot of the same interests when it comes to efficiency of transportation. I joined ecomodder to meet like minded people with similar interests. :)

My day job is as a computer programmer and I have a small company called Xenopi Studios. For the past 10 years, we've been doing entertainment software (read: videogames) but I've always had an interest in alternative transportation (my education is Aerospace Engineering from Univ. of Michigan). It wasn't until recently though, that I decided to combine my day job (computer tech.) with my hobby (electric vehicles).

In case you're interested, we're working on two projects related to electric vehicles at Xenopi. One is the SPARC XEV, an electric super-efficient highway capable commuter, and the other is the xenoDisplay, which is a unique combination of software and hardware that allows people to use iPhones/iPod Touches as wireless digital displays for their electric vehicles. If you're curious, you can check out the xenopi website, which has more information. It's still pretty sparse, but I hope to be regularly updating it as both projects progress.

I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone.

Cheers!

Eric
:D

cfg83 03-06-2010 01:35 PM

chaster -

Welcome to EM! You made me look :

The SPARC – XEV Project - Xenopi Studios
http://www.xenopi.com/wp-content/upl...n1-150x150.jpg
Quote:

SPARC XEV Current Configuration Technical Data
Configuration: 2F3T Tandem
Max # Passengers: 2
Overall Length: ~114″
Wheelbase: ~90″
Track Width: ~44″
Suspension: Independent Coil-over gas shocks on all 3 wheels.
Braking: multi-pot Hydraulic Disc brakes on all 3 wheels
Frame Construction: Aircraft grade high strength Aluminum Tube with high strength Steel for critical components. Integrated roll bar.
Body Construction: Composite with reinforced side impact beams.
Vehicle Total Weight (projected): ~700 lbs.
Target Cd: < 0.2
Drive Motor: AC-31 Induction with Regen running at 72V.
Motor Controller: Curtis AC Controller
Prototype Battery Pack (~1/2 maximum capacity): 7.2kWH LiFePO4
Battery Monitoring System (BMS): eLithion Lithiumate
Charger: DeltaQ 72V 1KW LiFePO4 onboard charger.

CarloSW2

chaster 03-06-2010 11:49 PM

Thanks CarloSW2, I'm looking forward to learning from the broad store of knowledge here. (also hopefully looking to get some inspiration and moral support too =)

Cheers,

Eric:thumbup:

Bicycle Bob 03-07-2010 11:52 AM

Welcome aboard. "2F 3T" sounds like a tilting vehicle. I've been on the tilters list for years, and am not really happy with any of the schemes to control tilt, although the Carver didn't seem to generate any complaints about its response.

5speed5 03-07-2010 12:51 PM

Welcome! The SPARC looks like a great project. When do you expect to have a
prototype vehicle?

Oval_Overload 03-07-2010 02:16 PM

Curtis AC drive and DeltaQ chargers are both very solid products, as far as I can tell. good choice.

~Jimbo
Mechanic, The Electric Vehicle Store

chaster 03-07-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 164774)
Welcome aboard. "2F 3T" sounds like a tilting vehicle. I've been on the tilters list for years, and am not really happy with any of the schemes to control tilt, although the Carver didn't seem to generate any complaints about its response.

Yes, it is designed as a tilter. However, the design is such that it also can be configured in a non-tilting setup (which it is right now).

If you've been on the yahoo tilter group list for a long time, then you are probably familiar with FTC. Our tilt system design uses a combination of FTC and our own "special sauce" which I refer to as "PHACS".. I'll do a write up on the tilt technology sometime down the road. (gadzooks keeping up a website is a lot of work!).

Eric

chaster 03-07-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5speed5 (Post 164786)
Welcome! The SPARC looks like a great project. When do you expect to have a
prototype vehicle?

Thanks for the welcome. =)

We are targeting summer for a drivable skeleton (i.e. no fairing) in the non-tilting configuration. Then work will focus on the FTC/PHACS mechanism implementation and testing (it only exists in design/simulation form right now). Once that's done, we'll focus on the fun stuff (bodywork and aero optimizations). It will be a long project. Of course, it's BEEN a long project already, so that's okay. =)

Eric

chaster 03-07-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oval_Overload (Post 164798)
Curtis AC drive and DeltaQ chargers are both very solid products, as far as I can tell. good choice.

~Jimbo
Mechanic, The Electric Vehicle Store

Yeah, while the SPARC *is* an "Experimental" EV, it is also meant to (eventually) be my daily driver (replacing my 2001 Maxima), so it needs to have quality, dependable components.

Eric

cfg83 03-07-2010 04:11 PM

chaster -

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaster (Post 164803)
Yes, it is designed as a tilter. However, the design is such that it also can be configured in a non-tilting setup (which it is right now).

If you've been on the yahoo tilter group list for a long time, then you are probably familiar with FTC. Our tilt system design uses a combination of FTC and our own "special sauce" which I refer to as "PHACS".. I'll do a write up on the tilt technology sometime down the road. (gadzooks keeping up a website is a lot of work!).

Eric

Ha ha, when a woman asks you how it tilts, you can say "Just the PHACS, Maam".

CarloSW2