EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello Ecomodder (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-ecomodder-24730.html)

Iggypooper 01-25-2013 02:15 AM

Hello Ecomodder

Hello everyone my name is Justin I'm 20 years old and I've been searching these forums for a couple weeks and finally joined.

My story:
I never really was too eager to have a car that gets good gas mileage (my only car at the time got ~20 @ 93 oct) until I decided that I needed a daily. I ended up finding an 88 civic dx sedan with 482k:eek: miles on it and what seemed to be a good motor.
I averaged averaged 30-35 at first and that wasn't good enough. So I did things to it to improve it, like smaller wheels/tires, weight reduction, actually driving with a little sense haha, etc. I eventually got closer and closer to 40mpg

Then the motor blew up. Completley nuked. Now im stuck driving my other car and average 19mpg @93 octane and it's horrible. I've tasted the joys of great MPGs and now I'm hooked.

So now I am currently doing a d15b obd1 vtec-e swap into it (the vx swap). My goal is to have a working EGR and 5 wire o2. I also plan on putting the HF transmission into the car as the car still has the original transmission in it.
I plan to have this swap finished in the coming weeks. I have probably 60% of what is needed to have the car finished.

I look at my eco modding like this: The more money I save in my Honda means the more money I can put into modding my other car and turning it into the racecar I've always wanted.

MetroMPG 01-25-2013 03:54 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Funny - I was talking to a WSJ reporter this morning about how EcoModder attracts a fair number of gearheads who like both "traditional" performance and eco-performance.

Quote:

I've tasted the joys of great MPGs and now I'm hooked.
Glad to hear it. Too bad about the nuked motor. Feel free to start a thread about your new project.

Iggypooper 01-26-2013 01:19 AM

Thank you
Really? I had no idea that many people here have a performance related mindset as well as an eco friendly approach. But I guess that can be very plausable, because I see a lot of technical threads where people are wiring different things to the ecu for various reasons.
And although having a nuked motor sucks, I've been trying to look at it as an opportunity to improve rather than dwell on the negative side of it.

MetroMPG 01-27-2013 08:17 PM

Oh, yeah - there's lots of cross-pollination from performance to eco.

Even look at the driving side of things: both require focus & skill development. A good "performance" (track/rally/auto-x) driver is likely to be able to understand & pick up the fuel saving skills, and do them well. And bonus: you can do the fuel-saving stuff all the time on public roads, where the other style is likely to get you in trouble!

mcrews 01-27-2013 08:47 PM

sure we a a good percentage of hard core eco-box-ers (I just made up that word!!)
But a do have a fair amount of AC/DCers. The either have hotrodded/raced or are still doing it w/ another car.