EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello everybody (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-everybody-35241.html)

SH@UN 06-08-2017 10:28 PM

Hello everybody

Hello. I just wanted to say high, new member. I've got a 2016 Hyundai Elantra that I'm wondering about trying to eek out a few more mpg from. I'm not into the hyper stuff, just small stuff here and there. I'll start a thread for that. I was thinking about building an electric motorcycle too, but don't know. Anyway, just wanted to say high to everyone and glad to be here.

Stubby79 06-09-2017 12:03 AM

I'll point out what became readily apparent when I (belatedly) did my homework on motorcycle power requirements...it takes just as much power to move a motorcycle - with is small frontal area but bad aerodynamics - as it does a car at highway speeds. The motorcycle only shines on hills and acceleration, due to the lack of weight. You'll need basically as big of a battery pack as you would for a car...if you are doing highway speeds.

That's for your typical cruiser-style motorcycle, sitting upright, mind you. YMMV.

I still want to do it...though my practical side keeps interfering.

As for your Elantra...LRR tires, warm air intake, and whatever aero mods you'd be comfortable with will get you those few extra MPGs.

SH@UN 06-09-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 542297)
I'll point out what became readily apparent when I (belatedly) did my homework on motorcycle power requirements...it takes just as much power to move a motorcycle - with is small frontal area but bad aerodynamics - as it does a car at highway speeds. The motorcycle only shines on hills and acceleration, due to the lack of weight. You'll need basically as big of a battery pack as you would for a car...if you are doing highway speeds.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:

As for your Elantra...LRR tires, warm air intake, and whatever aero mods you'd be comfortable with will get you those few extra MPGs.

I don't mind trying stuff as long as it's not expensive, and it doesn't look goofy on the car. Hidden stuff would be even better.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-10-2017 12:15 AM

You might feel at home in this board, there are folks with many different backgrounds and opinions, but mostly friendly after all.

Quote:

That's for your typical cruiser-style motorcycle, sitting upright, mind you. YMMV.

Being born and raised in a country where most of the new motorcycles sold each year are below 250cc, it did surprise me to figure out how the bigger-displacement ones could be actually quite unefficient compared to cars with similar displacement.

ECO-AKJ 06-11-2017 03:06 PM

Welcome to EM

California98Civic 06-17-2017 10:02 AM

Welcome. A common trick is high tire pressure. I run mine @ 55+ (cold) . they were rated 44. Immediate proven benefts. Free.

puddleglum 06-17-2017 12:02 PM

Welcome, but be careful. You say you're not into hypermiling but it's addictive ;) Best bang for your buck IMO is a mileage computer if you car doesn't already have one. Driving style changes are free and monitoring isn't that expensive. Once you have good monitoring, add a partial grill block. If you do a lot of highway, think about a belly pan. Improves aero and is invisible.
I like your car choice. It would be on my short list if I could afford a newer car.

SH@UN 06-17-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddleglum (Post 543132)
Welcome, but be careful. You say you're not into hypermiling but it's addictive ;)

That's something I'll never do. Puts way too much stress on engine components from the repeated​ stopping and starting. I'm a mechanic, so I know it does. The extra wear and tear isn't offset by the savings. But to each their own. 👍

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-18-2017 09:11 AM

Gotta agree with you on that. Even though the manufacturers are already addressing this issue in newer engines suitable to be factory-fitted with idle shut-off, I wouldn't feel so comfortable to keep shutting an engine off while it still didn't reach enough oil pressure to ensure the valvetrain got an adequate lube.

puddleglum 06-18-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH@UN (Post 543152)
That's something I'll never do. Puts way too much stress on engine components from the repeated​ stopping and starting. I'm a mechanic, so I know it does. The extra wear and tear isn't offset by the savings. But to each their own. 👍

There are lots of techniques for hypermiling that don't involve shutting off the engine. Just do what you're comfortable with. EOC is just one of many ways to hypermile.