EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello folks! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-folks-35183.html)

toganet 05-20-2017 06:20 PM

Hello folks!

Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker who finally decided to register. I currently drive a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi that I have not yet modded but may still.

I'm not sure what my next project will be, but I expect to be inspired and learn a lot here.

ECO-AKJ 05-22-2017 04:46 PM

Welcome to EM, I myself am looking to get a C-Max Energi for my wife next year, what kind of mileage are you currently getting?

Daox 05-22-2017 04:56 PM

Welcome to the site toganet. The c-max energi is a nice vehicle. What kind of EV range do you find you get with it?

toganet 05-22-2017 07:41 PM

Thanks for the questions, folks. I get about 19-26 miles of EV range on a full charge, with the top limit of that defined largely by ambient temperature. Since I live in Buffalo that means my range is reduced in the winter, which is half the year here :)

I live about 12 miles from where I work, so I can usually make it back and forth to work without burning gas if I am careful. That involves avoiding the faster highway route, and being fastidious with my braking.

Since most of my trips are within my EV range, but I still use the car for longer trips, my average mileage (as computed by the car) is around 70MPG.

On a recent road trip to Asheville, North Carolina and back I reset the MPG readout and saw a somewhat disappointing 37ish average for the trip. I should point out that I drove much faster than usual on that trip (~80) and all my around-town driving was in hybrid mode as I could find no charging stations convenient to me in Asheville.

As transportation the car has been reliable, efficient, and comfortable. I'm not a huge fan of its styling, but that's not my main concern at the moment.

justadude 05-29-2017 02:52 PM

Welcome to the forums! I'm new aswell, but I don't have an eco car. How did you first get into this kind of thing? Thanks!

toganet 06-10-2017 12:57 PM

I'm not quite sure how I started -- I think not having a lot of gas money when I was young made me want to learn about how I could drive more efficiently. I've had a lot of efficient cars, from a 96 Geo Metro 1.0l to a VW Jetta EcoDiesel and a couple of TDI's as well. The CMax is my first hybrid or plug-in, though. I'm contemplating making the jump to pure EV within the next year, though.

puddleglum 06-18-2017 09:53 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find ways to improve your highway mileage. All SUV's and tall wagons suffer from a big Aero penalty at higher speeds. Anything you can do to improve it will help you. I doubt you want to so too much to a newer car but there are some mods that are stealthy and will help.

Jurgis 06-19-2017 05:21 AM

Hi,
I haven't an eco car either but there are a few things you can do.
Changes at your car mostly cost money and saves a few percent of fuel.
A good way is to use a higher tire pressure (44 psi or more).
Extremely efficient are changes in the brain.
Driving not so fast (up to 50 MPH), avoid using the breaks helps even more.
Only take things with you you really nead. Stuff should be left home.
Carrying boxes or any other things mounted outside only if you need too.