EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from the home of expensive fuel (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-home-expensive-fuel-21220.html)

zedhead 03-30-2012 06:11 AM

Hello from the home of expensive fuel

Newby from the UK here, where petrol and diesel are at £1.50 a litre (that's about $2.40 a litre, at current exchange rates).
I've been looking at cutting down fuel consumption in my van and my bikes due to the recent price hikes (doubled in the last seven years here), due to the lost not any environmental reasons. And got enthused by reading about Craig Vetter and his mileage competitions, esecially the bikes that hit over 300mpg back in the Eighties!

euromodder 03-30-2012 09:44 AM

Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhead (Post 296889)
Newby from the UK here, where petrol and diesel are at £1.50 a litre (that's about $2.40 a litre, at current exchange rates).

I feel your pain - literally, as we're paying the same for petrol and 2.07 USD / L diesel.

Quote:

I've been looking at cutting down fuel consumption in my van and my bikes due to the recent price hikes (doubled in the last seven years here)
As always, start with the usual stuff :
- grille block (full or partial - watch engine temps !)
- increase tyre pressure
- driver slower
- start coasting in neutral to reduce speed (engine on or off is up to you)

A bit further on are the next steps :
- air dam,
- underbelly pan
- some mods to the rear

Read up on
65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com
and see what you can apply to your van.

There's lots of gains to be made by changing the way you drive, or even park :
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

Quote:

And got enthused by reading about Craig Vetter and his mileage competitions, esecially the bikes that hit over 300mpg back in the Eighties!
It'll be extremely hard to get that kind of numbers on the open road though.

For 100 mpg and above, get an EFI Honda 125cc scooter and start modding ... :turtle:

IsaacMTSU 03-30-2012 10:06 AM

Whoa that's around $9/gallon!

zedhead 03-30-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 296921)
There's lots of gains to be made by changing the way you drive, or even park :

Just about to start trawling thru that to gt some ideas.
Have already managed to gain 5mpg by increased tyre pressure and staying below 70...

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 296921)

It'll be extremely hard to get that kind of numbers on the open road though.

That WAS on the open road! The winner got 470mpg! Have a look at Craig Vetter's website. I'd post a link but I'm not allowed to until I have enough posts...

larrybuck 03-30-2012 08:45 PM

Welcome! With the prices the way they are, its a good thing that you are bike oriented.

I take it that you are willing to ride in the rain? Our climates seem to be similar.

zedhead 03-31-2012 05:45 AM

Hi Larry, yes similar climates, but you get more 'exciting' winters than we do...
The problem is with my bikes, they are more performance-orientated, but I am looking at getting a small capacity commuter, maybe to do some aero mods like the Vetter Challenge bikes...