Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I was told to go to this forum by the nissanclub sense I guess fuel effeciency is a boring subject OO.
Anyways I have a nissan Altima 2000 gxe manual. And I'm attempting to try and atleast get it to a good average 30mpg. So far I put a ecu booster and short ram air intake system in and sadly it went from 24.31 to 25.94 :/. I understand its not the ideal fuel effecient vehicle but i was hoping there some good budgeted techniques I could employ to improve. Driving tips are greatly a good idea however its my fiance driving it at the moment and she doesnt really listen to me when it comes to telling her how to use it. The only two things I had in consideration were a cat-back system and possible trying to replace the o2 sensor. But hopefully you guys might know a more effective boost for the vehicle for around the same price. I would love to use a hydrogen cell system but unfortanately its out of my budget range.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
Welcome to the site.

We recommend first reading the 65+Modding tips and then the 100+ hypermilling ideas. I bet you can find a few in each that 1) are low budget modifications and 2) convince your fiance to learn.
You also have to think about where the car is driven most of the time. If it does most of its miles on the highway then work on aerodynamic mods. If it just drives from one stop light to the next then see what you can do to make it lighter.

Most of us are not big fans of the aftermarket "booster" products. Some here have tried them and run A-B-A tests and not found any increase in fuel economy. Most of the products are attempting to increase power out of the engine. More power does not mean better fuel economy most of the time. The best mods are ones that lower the drag of the car, lower the internal friction of the moving parts, or help the engine run more of time in its most efficient operating region.
Some of the largest gains are when you buy a ScanGuage or similiar product. This shows you what your gas mileage is at all times and other information about your engine. Just having your gas mileage displayed trains you to drive more "gently".
Good Luck
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you can remove the ECU booster (if it's for HP) and short air intake you will improve your MPG.

Welcome to the site.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmaar View Post
If you can remove the ECU booster (if it's for HP) and short air intake you will improve your MPG.

Welcome to the site.
The booster has effeicency and performance slide rail options. It set to effeciency at the moment we did a racer test on it on performance to see it really was pushing the power vs the fuel and it did gain 10-15hp and if you think i should remove it hopefully i can get my money back >.>. But the mpg went up from using the mods by 1.5mpg how would removing it increase it instead? I wish i had come to this forum but i spent any money on it though sadly and i've been reading up on the 65+ slowly but surely. It seems to be alot of like you said body work based. I would love to do the rim theory sense i do have hub caps but a 500 dollar hospital bill from an angry fiance may not be worth it LoL. All keep thumbing through them as much as I can.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

mpg gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by busypaws View Post
Welcome to the site.

We recommend first reading the 65+Modding tips and then the 100+ hypermilling ideas. I bet you can find a few in each that 1) are low budget modifications and 2) convince your fiance to learn.
You also have to think about where the car is driven most of the time. If it does most of its miles on the highway then work on aerodynamic mods. If it just drives from one stop light to the next then see what you can do to make it lighter.

Most of us are not big fans of the aftermarket "booster" products. Some here have tried them and run A-B-A tests and not found any increase in fuel economy. Most of the products are attempting to increase power out of the engine. More power does not mean better fuel economy most of the time. The best mods are ones that lower the drag of the car, lower the internal friction of the moving parts, or help the engine run more of time in its most efficient operating region.
Some of the largest gains are when you buy a ScanGuage or similiar product. This shows you what your gas mileage is at all times and other information about your engine. Just having your gas mileage displayed trains you to drive more "gently".
Good Luck
Yeah my dad has one of those stock in his titan if anything it was a really cool feature with the vehicle But im still scratching my head of were to mount it in the car you have any good thread links of install and good mount points I can read through so you dont have to explain anything to me? and bare in mind i was gonna spend 200 bucks for a cat-back so if this gauge is around the same price it might be worth it. If anything else it would be a cool gauge inside the call for wow factor . And maybe it would encourage my fiance to monitor her shifting on it some. All give it a shot to say the least.

Last edited by drossdarkblood; 05-26-2010 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: left out some things
Reply  Post New Thread