Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Robert here with my new Justy

Hey all, my Accent finally bit the dust, and gave me an excuse to pick up a project. I've been a lurker here and on gassavers for a while, and now intend to join the community.

I just purchased a 1993 Subaru Justy. For those of you unfamiliar with the car, it's a compact four door, 3 cylinder on demand four wheel drive with a CVT. I got it for 1000 bucks Canadian. It has 90k on it, but the odometer rolls at 100k, . The guy claims to be the original owner and doesn't seem like a giant ass, so in the end, who knows....

My end goal is to disconnect the rear axle from the rest of the drive train, and hook up a motor/generator to it with enough battery power for a day of city driving. This will allow me complete battery in the city, regen braking, and optional ICE backup for exhauseted batts/highway. Also, I hope to be able to rig up a system to allow use of combined ICE and electric four wheel drive to help move about in Canadian winters.

I want to create a vehicle that is more efficient and much more capable then anything available commercially at a fraction of the cost.

First things first though, I want to gain control of the CVT. I want to be able to control it manually, and I suspect this will be no easy task. There is very little information available online on this transmission. I haven't even been able to discover the max and min gear ratios yet. But if I am able to gain complete manual control over the transmission, I should be able to drastically increase fuel efficiency with constant acceleration close to best fuel/power ratio and all cruising at the absolute tallest gear. A final gear change my be necessary.

If anyone has any info please feel free. Gotta go now, I'll be back later, and with some pics in a couple days.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Sweet! A justy! Love those things.

They were kei, right? Any idea of their mileage rating?

Welcome to ecomodder!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
The Justy!

Great car. I think you have the first Justy represented here.

Interesting -- a belt-driven CVT and AWD -- in a small package. I didn't know they made a 4-door model. This car has great possibilities!

Welcome to EM -- you'll find lots of ideas here for your project.

Best FE to you...

RH77

_
_
Old 09-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Welcome, and congratulations on an interesting project. I thought that the point of a CVT was to allow programming that maximizes economy with a light throttle, and performance with a heavy foot. Presumably, that art has advanced overall in the years since yours was built. I hope it freewheels with negligible drag.

Tags
4wd, cvt, hybrid, justy