EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello, looking to get stratospheric MPGs from my Civic Si coupe (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-looking-get-stratospheric-mpgs-my-civic-si-2774.html)

PolyOlefin 06-04-2008 12:46 AM

Hello, looking to get stratospheric MPGs from my Civic Si coupe

Hey all, new to hypermiling. I'm getting really into it by treating it like a game, but now my passengers hate the way I drive. Too bad, I say. I don't see too many "sporty" cars on hypermiling forums, but that should change as gas hits $6/gal this summer.

The goal I've set for myself is 36mpg from a tankful. I'm already very pleased with how efficient Honda has made the VTEC + VTC system in this engine. That, and the FP+ additive I'm using is having a definite effect.

I'm at 51,000 miles and going, driving about 25k per year. I'm looking forward to saving gas (and trying to drive less). Let's hope these kinds of forums last forever.

Red 06-04-2008 02:50 AM

Welcome to the site

cfg83 06-04-2008 03:03 AM

PolyOlefin -

Welcome to EM! I am sure you can reach your goals. There are performance enthusiasts here that are also "tuning for MPG". I like to tell my nephew that I am saving gas for his "future Viper", ;) .

CarloSW2

Daox 06-04-2008 08:31 AM

Welcome to the site PolyOlefin. 36 mpg shouldn't be all that hard to achieve in the Si. Check out our 100+ ecodriving tips. With those you should be able to hit your target. I'd recommend checking out pulse and glide and driving without brakes as some of the main techniques.

As for mods, what is your normal commute like? That'll determine where the best place to start is.

joesgot4 06-04-2008 08:48 AM

i bet i could drive your car for 1 tank and get 36 mpg's easy,just like your car is right now

joesgot4 06-04-2008 08:51 AM

i got 32 mpg's driving 60 mph on highway for a tank in my wifes dodge grand caravan! just put michellin x radials on the van thats worth 1.5 mpg . i put 40lbs of air in tires

PaleMelanesian 06-04-2008 09:03 AM

The way the transmission is geared on those, lower speed and lots of Pulse & Glide, especially the glide part, will be a big help.

PolyOlefin 06-04-2008 02:08 PM

Thanks for the input, folks. You guys seem to think it's easy to reach 36mpg, which makes me pretty optimistic... maybe I should set my goal higher.

I drive about 40 miles/day, driving 10 miles or less every time I start the engine. This is on long, suburban roads with about a mile between every stoplight. There are also a couple hour-long highway trips per week. The ScanGaugeII says I'm averaging 34.4mpg this tank at half full. P/G and DWB are very, very useful!

The hardest part is not redlining like I used to. This car is too much fun to drive spiritedly.

Daox 06-04-2008 02:32 PM

I bet the car is fun. Just try to keep the rpms low and engine load high without kicking in vtec.

joesgot4 06-04-2008 10:26 PM

when you go up hill let the speed die down some and let your rpm's stay below a certain number! baby the car easy starts and the least amount of brake as possible! i broke my record in my 2006 malibu ls it is now officially 47.1 mpg's of all interstate driving! air your tires up to near max, k&n air filter,synthetic oil, and easy starts and watch your rpm's every now and then drive your car spirited,but most of the time try to break your old record!