EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from Michigan (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-michigan-23134.html)

C5Shark 08-31-2012 12:34 AM

Hello from Michigan

Hi all! I'm Chris. I have a 2012 Cruse LS (basemodel) 1.8L, 6 speed manual. I picked up the car to replace my tired 99 Regal. So far I'm amazed by the fuel mileage from it! With a completely stock car I have achieved a best tank so far of 42.4MPG. I have just added a grill block and am going to be adding an even lower front air dam.

MetroMPG 08-31-2012 12:08 PM

Mimicking the Cruze ECO's active grille block (motorized shutters) isn't a bad idea. With that MPG, sounds like you're mostly highway driving. How are you monitoring coolant temperature?

Welcome to the forum!

GRU 08-31-2012 10:17 PM

yeah those are some good numbers. what kind of trips do you do?

night9 08-31-2012 10:33 PM

That awesome! You should look into the thread about "modding the party" for ideas.(if you haven't already) He's been able to do some interesting things with his fiesta to improve his mpg on a new car that already claims high mpg.

C5Shark 09-01-2012 02:36 AM

That 42mpg tank was with the car in completely stock trim with the exception of over-inflated tires.

I actually blocked the upper grill and left the lower untouched. The car has a digital readout in the scrollable driver information center which displays engine coolant temp, instant/average mpg, etc., etc.

After doing some hot weather driving it looks like I'll need to better control the airflow coming in through the lower opening as the cruising ECT has increased by 2-4 degrees. (Stock unblocked cruising ECT is 217F!!!). There is very little (more like nothing) in terms of baffling around the sides of the radiator to prevent air from going around it completely, so I will be looking to add something here to better direct airflow through the radiator instead of around it.

My trips are mostly highway. I drive about 30 miles round trip to work daily and I'd say about 18-20 miles of that are highway. I try to stay around 55-60 mph (despite getting blown away by traffic). I try to a little engine off coasting when I can but my route doesn't really allow for much of that. I feel that downshifting to keep the engine in DFCO while slowing is more effective for my route than actual EOC.

scivicblu83 09-01-2012 07:41 AM

Welcome c5, great milage already, remember to raise tire preassure if you havent already.

Weather Spotter 09-01-2012 07:58 AM

welcome!

Were in MI are you located?

C5Shark 09-01-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 325284)
welcome!

Were in MI are you located?

Shelby Township.

I see You've got quite a few aero mods done. I've been considering doing wheel skirts, but I'm not fond of taping things to the paint. How is everyone attaching these?

Weather Spotter 09-01-2012 11:15 AM

Take a look at our wiki for mods:
Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder

and the page you want:
Rear wheel skirts - EcoModder

Yes I have done a lot of mods, and my last tank was 66 MPG :)