EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from Missouri, USA (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-missouri-usa-38196.html)

DonneyEV 03-02-2020 09:48 AM

Hello from Missouri, USA

My name is Donald but I go by Donney. I live in southwest Missouri, south of Joplin.

I have an associate's degree in drafting & design that I received in 2011. I also have a certificate of study in biodiesel production that I received in 2013. I have been strongly in favor of renewable energy for several years, but sadly my job is not related to renewables.

This semester, I am auditing a projects class through the renewable energy program at my local community college. I asked the wind energy instructor if I could help him develop EV curriculum.

Fat Charlie 03-03-2020 05:54 AM

Welcome! What are you driving? Any RE mods to it?

Daox 03-03-2020 09:30 AM

Welcome to the site!

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-03-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonneyEV (Post 618214)
I also have a certificate of study in biodiesel production that I received in 2013. I have been strongly in favor of renewable energy for several years, but sadly my job is not related to renewables.

I'm also strongly favorable to biofuels, including biodiesel, but I'm also used to ethanol which previously had been more common in my country.

DonneyEV 03-03-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 618263)
Welcome! What are you driving? Any RE mods to it?

'99 Buick Century, no mods. What are RE mods?

DonneyEV 03-03-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 618302)
I'm also strongly favorable to biofuels, including biodiesel, but I'm also used to ethanol which previously had been more common in my country.

Here in the US, there was big hype about biofuels 10 years ago or so. I have been told that biodiesel has a better BTU output vs input ratio, about 3-to-1, than ethanol. However, ethanol production (ethyl alcohol beverages) has been around for about 10,000 years and biodiesel production has only been around for about 40 years.

Fat Charlie 03-03-2020 10:04 PM

Renewable Energy. Not knowing what you were running, maybe biodiesel or something electric or hybrid.

With a Buick, air up the tires and do searches here for aeromods like grille blocks and air dams. For driving technique, DWB.

MetroMPG 03-04-2020 11:31 AM

Welcome to the forum!

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-06-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonneyEV (Post 618312)
I have been told that biodiesel has a better BTU output vs input ratio, about 3-to-1, than ethanol.

People often look at corn-based ethanol and don't seem to realize it's roughly a byproduct of a high-protein substract most often used for livestock feeding. On the other hand, besides the BTU output, some major advantages of biodiesel are the possibility to raise some crops such as Castor on brownfields in a way that not only increases the biological stability of such environments but also decreases the impact on the usage of arable land for food production.

Quote:

ethanol production (ethyl alcohol beverages) has been around for about 10,000 years
Knowledge about the alcoholic fermentation process being so ancient, and relying historically on so many feedstocks, is one of the reasons why I don't believe the internal-combustion engine could become effectively obsolete so soon...

Flakbadger 03-07-2020 01:23 PM

Welcome to the forums! You have EV in your name, How likely is it that you're going to drive one soon? As others have said, there's a wealth of info on how to aeromod your vehicle... And granted I don't know anything about your personal financial situation but I know that when I was in college I had a paid off pickup truck that got 16 miles per gallon. I sold it and bought a Toyota Yaris and made my car payments plus saved money in the first three months I owned it, so it might be worth looking into.

Depending on what your driving distance is you might even consider looking into a used Nissan Leaf. You can pick up older ones for a pittance. They are practically giving them away.

Then again if a different vehicle isn't an option for you right now you can still make pretty substantial changes just by adjusting your driving and doing some simple aerodynamic mods.

Either way I hope I didn't rant at you too much, welcome! You're in good company.

DonneyEV 03-09-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakbadger (Post 618546)
Welcome to the forums! You have EV in your name, How likely is it that you're going to drive one soon? As others have said, there's a wealth of info on how to aeromod your vehicle... And granted I don't know anything about your personal financial situation but I know that when I was in college I had a paid off pickup truck that got 16 miles per gallon. I sold it and bought a Toyota Yaris and made my car payments plus saved money in the first three months I owned it, so it might be worth looking into.

Depending on what your driving distance is you might even consider looking into a used Nissan Leaf. You can pick up older ones for a pittance. They are practically giving them away.

Then again if a different vehicle isn't an option for you right now you can still make pretty substantial changes just by adjusting your driving and doing some simple aerodynamic mods.

Either way I hope I didn't rant at you too much, welcome! You're in good company.

My personal financial situation is a major limiting factor. Nevertheless, with the projects class I'm auditing, I have a classmate. He is taking the class for credit and wanted to learn how to do an electric bicycle conversion. Thus, we are both learning that. As far as the curriculum writing, I have purchased two books to help with that, Build Your Own Electric Vehicle and Build Your Own Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle by Seth Leitman. Also, the renewable energy program has three (3) electric cars in disrepair. I'm hoping to learn more complex and detailed info from working on them during future semesters. I have been thinking about focusing on EV electronics for next semester.

ECO-AKJ 03-09-2020 05:55 PM

Donnie, welcome, to ecomodder, I reside in the Rogersville Mo area