EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from NC (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-nc-22487.html)

2006Corvette 07-05-2012 11:10 PM

Hello from NC

Hello, I'm Will and I'm 25 from NC. I was reading a lot of posts here so I figured I'd join in and contribute. I'm a little disappointed I couldn't use my yahoo email (had to make a new email just to join this forum) but at least I'm here now lol.

I bought a nice little 5 speed Mitsubishi Mirage DE coupe. I'm getting just about 40mpg with mainly highway driving and about 32mpg when I mix in a lot of city/stop and go. The only modifications to the car are very lightweight 13" american racing light alloy wheels with 175 70 13 tires and a lighter aftermarket muffler with better air flow. I figure these minor mods have helped a little (stock curb weight is 2190 lbs) I'm not sure where I'll go next as far as making the car lighter/more fuel efficient but I'm sure this forum will give me some good ideas.

I've owned many cars over the years from high maintenance top of the line luxury sedans like the S class Mercedes and LS series Lexus, to sharp handling Porsches, all the way to powerhouses like the new C6 Corvette so I almost consider myself a well rounded luxury/performance car enthusiast.

The only kinds of cars I haven't owned were small economy cars. I will be honest I used to ridicule most underpowered cars. The other few forums I was at on previously it was completely normal to bash the toyota prius/owners just for the hell of it. However now I see the beauty of these gas savers (at least most of them). Low maintenance and high MPG. The Mirage DE I have is actually a fun little car to drive and throw around into corners. It's almost like a little street legal golf cart that has power steering and cold A/C.

I don't think I'll go to the extremes that some members have gone to on here with getting greater MPG since I'm more of a form over function kind of guy but if it's an easy/cosmetically friendly mod i will likely be up for it. I've read the 65+ efficiency tips and 100+ hypermiling tips already and that's been a good help to understanding the 'big picture'.

Anyway I did attach pictures of my car but it said that I need 5 posts or more. Eventually I'll have pictures up, lol.

UltArc 07-06-2012 12:45 AM

Welcome!

MetroMPG 07-06-2012 06:36 AM

Welcome to the forum. (Sorry about that Yahoo address bug - a vB thing - it may even work now since there have been several forum upgrades since it was first known.)

As for having fun driving an underpowered small car, what's that saying? More fun to drive a slow car fast than... :)

As for bashing the Prius/eco cars on the traditional "performance" forums, every once in a while I see a comment from a poster there who gets the big picture: the efficient cars are just a different type of "performance car", engineered to do a specific task much better than average, just like the go-fast cars.

You'll find a lot of people here who come from traditional "performance" backgrounds, and appreciate the engineering, DIY and driving skills needed to squeeze more economy out of a vehicle.

Any thoughts on what you'll be doing to your vehicle? First recommendation is usually to get instrumentation (ScanGauge or equivalent) if you don't have any yet, and make a garage entry for your car. Your Garage: Add new vehicle

2006Corvette 07-06-2012 10:09 AM

Thanks. A slow simple car is definitely more fun knowing that you'll have more money in your pocket by the end of each week, month, year.

I might hold off on the scan gauge for now in favor of the simple tank by tank calculator method but that device seems very useful should I change my mind someday. However I did fill out my garage just now.

My next mods will likely be some kind of aero modifications like a grille block and possibly H&R lowering springs. Inconspicuous MPG mods like these are my favorite kinds of mods. =)

BTW, I'm very impressed by the MPG you get on your metro and swift.

MetroMPG 07-06-2012 10:14 AM

Thanks!

I would urge you to reconsider getting a gauge sooner than later. It's the equivalent of the lap time or elapsed time instant feedback that makes the traditional "performance" world so addictive and fun.

Shop for a used one. Or get an Ultra Gauge - cheaper. (I say that even though we sell the ScanGauges here -- I'd encourage anyone to buy a used one or a competitor's product than nothing at all.)

You won't regret getting one - it'll pay for itself, guaranteed. And you can move it to any car you have in the future, or sell it in 6 months and get most of your money back. There's no good reason not to get one!

2006Corvette 07-07-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 315582)
Thanks!

I would urge you to reconsider getting a gauge sooner than later. It's the equivalent of the lap time or elapsed time instant feedback that makes the traditional "performance" world so addictive and fun.

Shop for a used one. Or get an Ultra Gauge - cheaper. (I say that even though we sell the ScanGauges here -- I'd encourage anyone to buy a used one or a competitor's product than nothing at all.)

You won't regret getting one - it'll pay for itself, guaranteed. And you can move it to any car you have in the future, or sell it in 6 months and get most of your money back. There's no good reason not to get one!

Thanks again Metro. It sounds like this is worth getting. I've done a lot of research and just the fact that you can see what a check engine light is on for and clear it may come in handy in the future for friends and relatives. I'll see if I can find a good deal on one in the next few weeks or so. :thumbup: