Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
Arrow New HyperMiler with 2000 Honda Civic HX !

Hey folks!

Well, after driving sports cars for years, I got sick of working on them and throwing so much money into them - when really I spent most of my time just droning on the freeway to work and back buring up my expensive sticky tyres ... So I sold the sports car and bought a 2000 Civic HX with 120k on the clock!

After a complete tune up, lots of carpet cleaning and some fixes here and there - she is runnin' like a top! I plan to do a lot of aerodynamic mods to the car, i've already removed the passenger sideview mirror and replaced it with a cover; and i've removed the drivers sideview mirror and replace it with a much smaller and lightweight racing-type mirror. I just scored some super lightweight (9.7lbs each) rims from an older Honda VX. Also gutted all of the car's interior, everything from behind the front seats was taken out; should save me some weight and help my MPG.

I look forward to modifying my front bumper and making an underbody cover, as to further reduce wind drag - as well as some rear wheel covers and getting rid of the exterior radio antenna... my goal is to average 60 MPG.... ya guys think that might be obtainable !?

In the meantime, i'll be driving like and i'll keep you all updated on my MPG once I go thru my first full tank!

I started by doing a full, and I mean FULL tune up. from all fluids, spark plugs, all belts, both new O2 sensors installed recently; even bleed the power steering fluid, and cleaned the EGR port.

Spend an hour or two cleaning the engine bay.... bleed the brake fluid, clutch fluid... blah blah etc

Then I cleaned the interior, man it was dirty from the previous owner, but WOW did it clean up nice thanx to my fiancee, a wet vac, and the better part of one day! Installed a short shifter and Razo shift knob.

Mileage looking pretty good already, at more than 3/4 tank remaining, and already 130miles on the clock!

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 09-03-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get instrumentation early on, that will help more than almost anything else. I like the Ultragauge since it is cheap and works well. Look up "Brucepick" to check out his grill block (should be about the same as yours).

I just recently bought an '01 HX myself.

Be sure to start a fuel log.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. The HX is a good car for mileage. Sounds like you got some good mods planned too. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

trustyHX - '97 honda civic HX
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
Smile hx

good luck ,hope it's a 5 sp.2002 has 1.7 l vs 97hx 1.6l and your radiator runs the across the whole front of the car 1st gen hx's only halfway. just turned the big 400k on my 97hx 49.1mpg no ethenol gas! still same clutch and ball joints,starter haven't touched the motor at all.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
I just scored some super lightweight (9.7lbs each) rims from an older Honda VX.
Welcome! I have these wheels too. Love them. But I have been considering buying HX wheels too, to experiment. I might buy yours if you don't want them. Or you might try what I'm thinking. The HX wheels are only modestly heavier, they're just 14" versions of the 13" VXs. But they are taller and there are better LRR tire choices for them. So I am playing around with the idea of the taller wheels up front with good, taller-than-stock LRR tires on them. PM me if you'd like to sell, or just take the idea if you'd like to experiment (let me know how it goes).

Welcome!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The HX wheels are only modestly heavier, they're just 14" versions of the 13" VXs. But they are taller and there are better LRR tire choices for them.
Agreed on that point, but you've got the VX wheels already, so...

Also the instrumentation advice is critical.

Looking forward to your updates. Please add your car to the garage / fuel log!

Also, curious: how did you find us?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

yeah instrumentation is key. i just ordered up a ScanGaugeII from this site; 150bucks is a good price; autozone wanted 169+tax!

front grill block is likely the next thing on the list, as is getting rid of the exterior antenna. rear wheel covers will follow. last thing i'll do is the underbody aero, so thats awhile off...but i do plan to do a pretty killer job... i am also considering ditching and replacing, or modifying the rear bumper, as to make a more teardrop shape out of the rear of the car. the stock rear bumper might as well be a parachute!!! jesus!!! so stay tuned!

yup, keeping a fuel log. i'll add my car, post up results on this site once i got 'em! gimmie a break - i'm still on my first tank! and at 60mph max - it doesnt exactly guzzle the fuel!

the 2000 civic HX i really felt was the very best year/model to go with. the older honda VX and HF are, well, just that - old. impossible to find one with around 100k miles, and plus its OBD1 technology. the 2000 civic is the newest non-hybrid car that gets mid 40's MPG right outta the box. in 2001 they made it a 1.7L (100cc increase), i drove a 2001 and it was somewhat fast! well, not really, but you know - not an economy car in the extreme as we hypermilers desire. i'm glad to hear that MSWEHX's car has lasted so long - good choice in vehicle my friend!

CA98Civic: yeah i have the 13' rims. not really interested in going to the newer HX 14inch rims. bigger wheels means a bit heavier. i dont really care about tyre options, i wanna get some 165/60/13's. can anyone recommend a good low resistance tyre for a 13' rim??

I found the site just by doing good searches for fuel efficient cars, back when i was deciding what kinda car to buy. or else i was looking up fuel efficient mods on google - either way - stumbled upon it and it looked pretty well setup around here - so i joined!

as well, i've been told the 49state ECU for the HX is better than the CA spec. aparently the CA spec is called the P2N-L32. anyone know what the 49state ECU is called? i've heard it might be P2N-A32; but i'm not sure, and i'd like confirmation before i go buy one. also, will a 1996-1997 ECU work on my 2000 car?

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 09-01-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Question:

Excuse my ignorance, but does the HX have lean burn? If so, you may want to go with an MPGuino for instrumentation. The 'Guino actually monitors injector activity, where the SG calculates MPG based on air consumption, and that means it's not as accurate for a lean-burn engine.

We won't send your ScanGauge until Tues anyway, so will wait to hear back on what you want to do.

EcoModder
Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

the HX does have lean burn. i'd like to learn more about the MPGuino; got a link to a specs and features page? it looks like it is 40, which is nice, but it seems i'm losing a lot of features? Google search isnt coming up with much

but still i'm confused about the features it offers.

I plan to use a air/fuel gauge to see when i'm in lean burn; but it sounds like this MPGuino unit is a MPG (instant?) unit only?

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

MPGuino is a fairly basic gauge that offers instant & resettable average fuel consumption. It was originally designed by forum members for pre-OBD-II cars, but it also works best on OBD-II cars with lean burn. It requires you to wire it in (splicing into an injector wire; power & ground; vss). You will also have to calibrate it (though you would probably have to calibrate your SG2 somewhat too).

I'm not up to date on what MPGuino kits/completed units are currently available - some members sell them directly (it's not available from EcoModder). You'll have to find the thread in question in the MPGuino subforum.

You're right that it doesn't have the other functions of a ScanGauge, but the SG will drive you bananas because it just won't be very accurate, MPG-wise.

EcoModder
Reply  Post New Thread