EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from Norway (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-norway-22700.html)

ILovemyHonda 07-24-2012 11:22 AM

Hello from Norway

Hello from Norway.

I am new on this forum and joined it because I am very interested in economical driving. I have allready found a whole lot of useful tips on the subject and I really like the forum.
I currently drive a manual 1995 Honda Accord 2.0is (CC7 chassis, engine: F20Z1) It does about 30-35 MPG on daily basis.
I am quite satisfied with it's fuel economy, but I think it can do much better.

Looking forward to my stay in this forum, and please excuse me if some of my english is not the highest quality.

Greetings from Carl

Daox 07-24-2012 12:05 PM

Welcome to the site.

While 35 mpg isn't bad, I'm sure there is much room for improvement. Check out the 100+ hypermiling tips link up top and pick out a few things to try out.

ILovemyHonda 07-24-2012 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply.
The hardest part about trying to improve the fuel economy I think must be to stay diciplined and follow every tip to point.

user removed 07-24-2012 04:20 PM

I guarantee your English is far better than my Norwegian :D.

regards
Mech

ecomodded 07-25-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILovemyHonda (Post 318442)
Thanks for the reply.
The hardest part about trying to improve the fuel economy I think must be to stay disciplined and follow every tip to point.

With practice the tips become second nature and fit into the flow of your driving.
Pulse and glide is work, I rarely pulse n glide, sometimes here and there, basically hate it rarely do it.
Low RPM driving & Glide on the other hand i do constantly, I coast 7 km's out of a 20 km run to the grocery store, for instance. Doing that as well as looking ahead for chances to coast rather then brake.
Find the tips you want to try, and exploit them.

ILovemyHonda 07-25-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 318607)
With practice the tips become second nature and fit into the flow of your driving.
Pulse and glide is work, I rarely pulse n glide, sometimes here and there, basically hate it rarely do it.
Low RPM driving & Glide on the other hand i do constantly, I coast 7 km's out of a 20 km run to the grocery store, for instance. Doing that as well as looking ahead for chances to coast rather then brake.
Find the tips you want to try, and exploit them.

Yes, I think I need practice.
When you coast, do you keep the engine on idle or do you turn it off?

ecomodded 07-26-2012 11:13 AM

On long coasts i turn the engine off, most of the time i leave the engine on. A long coast for me starts at 1/3 to 1/2 mile or i find it to bothersome to do.
I drive a mountain pass that allows coasts of 10 km's but you need brakes so the engine stays on, on the long steep hills. My cars brake booster goes flat after 3-4 applications of the brake, or one solid stop if not going too fast,with the engine off.
Test your cars braking with the engine off so you know its limits.

Pump your tires up, my tires are at 50 psi, it dramatically reduces the rolling resistance, allowing extended coasts.
When driving a manual,shift as early as possible without lugging the engine. A increase in RPM's equal a increase in fuel consumption so try not to race the engine.
It will become second nature in 2 weeks or a month of practice, then you will be doing it automatically, or so i have found.
And remember enjoy your driving !
& the new challenges that will take the boredom out of the drive.:)

Mustang Dave 07-26-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

The hardest part about trying to improve the fuel economy I think must be to stay diciplined and follow every tip to point.

"Adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel" is extremely difficult for most people.

euromodder 07-27-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Staying disciplined is important, but you need not follow every tip.
Some of the tips might not be legal in Norway ;)

Pick some tips that you think you can apply in your daily driving, try them out, make them into new habits, then revisit the list and pick a few more tips.

Many folks shut their engines off while coasting, but i've tried it and decided against it on safety grounds (extremely stiff steering and very limited braking power).

Even leaving the engine running will return better fuel consumption when coasting in neutral.

ILovemyHonda 07-27-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 319006)
Staying disciplined is important, but you need not follow every tip.
Some of the tips might not be legal in Norway ;)

Pick some tips that you think you can apply in your daily driving, try them out, make them into new habits, then revisit the list and pick a few more tips.

Many folks shut their engines off while coasting, but i've tried it and decided against it on safety grounds (extremely stiff steering and very limited braking power).

Even leaving the engine running will return better fuel consumption when coasting in neutral.

Okay.
No, I wont shut off the engine while driving, since I consider it to be dangerous. Idle coasting works well for me to.