EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from South Africa (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-south-africa-40420.html)

Logic 08-09-2022 08:14 AM

Hello from South Africa

Hi everyone

I basically grew up in a workshop (1st engine rebuild @ 10 yrs old) before becoming:
An electrician
Going to Varsity to study Engineering (well... that was my excuse for partying there! :D )
A Network Admin (MCSE)

So here I am with some (crazy?) ideas to share! :)
It'll be interesting to see how they 'go down'

Wish I could put links already, so 10 un referenced posts coming up! :)

oil pan 4 08-09-2022 09:34 AM

Welcome!
I have a quick question for you.
In your opinion is there anything odd happening in south Africa as far as the weather goes this year?

Caddylackn 08-09-2022 12:29 PM

What vehicle are you going to be driving and modifying?
Post up some details please

freebeard 08-09-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Wish I could put links already, so 10 un referenced posts coming up!
Standing by.

It's been hours.

Logic 08-09-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 672639)
Standing by.

It's been hours.

:) Ye... For me; its not easy finding something worth saying to say without references.

This reply should be # 5

Logic 08-09-2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddylackn (Post 672633)
What vehicle are you going to be driving and modifying?
Post up some details please

I believe a Lotus Europa Special, 5 spd, big valve is one of the lightest, flat bottomed, low frontal area, cars one can find.
And not one piece of computer controlled 'HowTF do I fix this?' BS in it! :)

I'd post pics, but that's not allowed until you've spoken unreferenced "how's the weather?" nothings 15 times. Thought it was 10?

Logic 08-09-2022 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 672625)
Welcome!
I have a quick question for you.
In your opinion is there anything odd happening in south Africa as far as the weather goes this year?

Hi oil pan. Thx :)

We had a very wet summer. Mild too.

But let's not forget that volcano that threw more water than ever recorded into the stratosphere in January. :)

oil pan 4 08-09-2022 06:59 PM

The hungatunga eruption was what I was thinking of.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-10-2022 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672649)
I believe a Lotus Europa Special, 5 spd, big valve is one of the lightest, flat bottomed, low frontal area, cars one can find.
And not one piece of computer controlled 'HowTF do I fix this?' BS in it! :)

Some electronic controls may improve precision and efficiency of a fuel system, but I agree the absence of computers may be tempting due to its suitability for operation under harsher environmental conditions.

freebeard 08-10-2022 02:12 AM

Quote:

I'd post pics, but that's not allowed until you've spoken unreferenced "how's the weather?" nothings 15 times. Thought it was 10?
You are in a position to do an interesting experiment. Post tens of kitty-on-the-keyboard posts and then delete them. See if they still count.

Then you can report back.

Logic 08-10-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 672673)
Some electronic controls may improve precision and efficiency of a fuel system, but I agree the absence of computers may be tempting due to its suitability for operation under harsher environmental conditions.

Quite so.
And some sort of EFI system may be fitted in time.

But lotuses aren known for their ability in harsh conditions.

The Europa is basically a go-cart with a fiberglass body and weighs less than those large Goldwing motorbikes. (640 kg)
Is got a frontal area that fits under most booms in parking lots and a flat bottom too.

ie: A low light sports car that wont last in harsh conditions.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-18-2022 02:00 AM

I guess the Volkswagen-based Puma could fare way better under harsh conditions.. But anyway, what EFI are you considering? Something similar to those Fueltech programmable modules with a built-in interface which allows for tuning without plugging it in to another computer?

Logic 08-20-2022 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 673111)
I guess the Volkswagen-based Puma could fare way better under harsh conditions.. But anyway, what EFI are you considering? Something similar to those Fueltech programmable modules with a built-in interface which allows for tuning without plugging it in to another computer?

Nowhere near that point yet cRiPpLe_rOoStEr.
So thx for the suggestion. :)

As an ex Netw Admin with a MCSE I'm not averse to plugging things into computers it's black box electronics I take issue with. Carbs I can see the issue, replace seals, change jets etc.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-22-2022 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 673306)
As an ex Netw Admin with a MCSE I'm not averse to plugging things into computers

So maybe you'd be OK with some of those standalone ECUs available there in South Africa, even though I'm sure the built-in graphic interface of a Fueltech is quite appealing.