EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from South Wales :) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-south-wales-36053.html)

WelshAdam 01-15-2018 12:59 PM

Hello from South Wales :)

Hello everyone!

My name is Adam and I'm from South Wales in the UK!

I've been lurking on here for a while now, but have only just gotten around to registering!

I drive a 2014 Ford Mondeo estate, which has a 2.0 turbo diesel engine.

I've been trying to squeeze better mpg out of "the bus" for a little while now, my average is usually around 46mpg (UK), but I just know I can do better. Aiming for mid-50's, seeing as I have to drive 70 miles per day for work.

Anyway that's enough from me for now, I look forward to learning from you all and chatting!

Daox 01-15-2018 01:07 PM

Welcome to the site Adam.

What stuff have you done to the 'bus' so far? :)

WelshAdam 01-15-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 558838)
Welcome to the site Adam.

What stuff have you done to the 'bus' so far? :)

Thanks Daox :)

In all honesty, pretty much nothing! I try to keep the roof rack off as much as I can, but being a mountain biker I actually use it! Although it is off at the moment! :)

Bought some pipe insulation today, going to go for an upper grille block, looked at the bottom grille but it seems to be blocked already somewhat, so will just experiment with the top!

Aside from keeping tyres properly inflated, that's about it so far! Hoping to gain some inspiration and advice along the way!

Daox 01-15-2018 01:36 PM

Sounds like a great place to start. :thumbup:

Fat Charlie 01-15-2018 02:58 PM

Glad you're finally "official". Welcome!

WelshAdam 01-16-2018 02:05 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

Popped out earlier and messed about with my upper grille using some pipe insulation, I couldn't find any in black which is a shame but never mind. I'm going to try and fabricate something out of perspex if I can find some cheap enough I think!

Going to take the upper grille off when I have time, and get a better idea of where and what I can mount to it without getting my fingers trapped in the crevice underneath the heat shield! Lol!

https://flic.kr/p/JybFQc

Anyway, it's not too pretty but we will see what happens. It's around freezing here in the hills so hopefully it'll warm up quicker.

Cheers everyone!

WelshAdam 01-16-2018 02:09 PM

Ps, my post count isn't high enough to post images yet, but as soon as it is i will put one up!

Daox 01-16-2018 02:14 PM

You should be good to post images now.

WelshAdam 01-16-2018 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here we go :) like I said, not too pretty but it's just an experiment... for now :D

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1516131547

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-16-2018 09:27 PM

I have never seen the estate/wagon version of this generation of the Mondeo, even though I used to see a few sedans (with Argentinian plates) once in a while. BTW Diesel versions that I used to see were fitted with that Ford's own 1.8L engine. Is yours fitted with the Peugeot-developed DW10?

WelshAdam 01-17-2018 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 558970)
I have never seen the estate/wagon version of this generation of the Mondeo, even though I used to see a few sedans (with Argentinian plates) once in a while. BTW Diesel versions that I used to see were fitted with that Ford's own 1.8L engine. Is yours fitted with the Peugeot-developed DW10?

You definitely see more sedans here in the UK, although there are a few estate versions about (mine is an ex undercover police car, they seem to be used a lot here).

It's a 2.0 Duratorq Tdci, as far as I know it's the same or similar to Peugeot's HDI engines :)

Fat Charlie 01-17-2018 07:59 AM

The lower grille's a lot bigger than the upper. Once you get instrumentation- an SG or UG that can show actual coolant temp, try blocking the lower instead. It should give you a bigger aero and warmup benefit, and if you keep an eye on the temps you may find that the upper still lets in enough air for cooling.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-17-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshAdam (Post 558983)
You definitely see more sedans here in the UK

Actually I would have expected to see more wagons and hatchbacks there, especially because for the current generation of the Mondeo the sedan in only available in Europe as a hybrid.

Quote:

mine is an ex undercover police car, they seem to be used a lot here
Wagons seem much better than sedans to use as a police car anyway.

Quote:

It's a 2.0 Duratorq Tdci, as far as I know it's the same or similar to Peugeot's HDI engines :)
It's the very same Peugeot DW10 engine.

WelshAdam 01-18-2018 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 559021)
Actually I would have expected to see more wagons and hatchbacks there, especially because for the current generation of the Mondeo the sedan in only available in Europe as a hybrid.

Wagons seem much better than sedans to use as a police car anyway.

It's the very same Peugeot DW10 engine.

I meant that you tend to see more Mondeo estates than saloons, otherwise you're right, hatchbacks seem to be the most popular choice here.

I didn't realise that the new one was only available as a hybrid though, that's interesting. Heard mixed reviews about the mk4 hybrid which is what put me off, I wonder if it's improved with this reiteration of the mondeo...

WelshAdam 01-18-2018 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 558992)
The lower grille's a lot bigger than the upper. Once you get instrumentation- an SG or UG that can show actual coolant temp, try blocking the lower instead. It should give you a bigger aero and warmup benefit, and if you keep an eye on the temps you may find that the upper still lets in enough air for cooling.

I also thought that, but on closer inspection around 3/4 of it is blocked with plastic trim - only the bottom two or so slats are actually open to allow cooling.

Definitely going to get a scan gauge at some point though, my car has an on board instant mpg display, but I do wonder how accurate they are. Still, better than guessing right?!

Fat Charlie 01-18-2018 09:13 AM

Glad you were already on the grille bit.

Instantaneous mpg is good, but the real value of the SG or UG is short trip and long trip mpg. Reset long trip with every fill, and short trip resets at every start. You can keep track of the tank, but also understand what you usually get on the way to work, etc. Real instrumentation is the most effective mod you can do.

WelshAdam 01-23-2018 02:09 AM

Thanks for the advice and welcomes again everyone, much appreciated.

Definitely going to look into getting a scan gauge, will be very useful.

Quick update though, as I said I usually get around 46mpg UK over a full tank, I'm 3/4 through a tank of fuel at the moment and I'm on 54mpg UK!

All by employing a few techniques, and I'm sure it'll improve as I improve my skills :)

elhigh 01-23-2018 12:14 PM

Hi Adam,

46, even in UK gallons, is pretty good for a vehicle that size.

+1 on what everybody said about adding some kind of instrumentation. It helps a LOT with adjusting your driving habits, which are the root of the "adjust the nut behind the wheel" suggestion.

Related to that, start a Garage page for your vehicle. Like doing A-B-A testing for determining whether a change is yielding immediate results, the Garage page provides a long term picture of how the vehicle - and its driver - are performing.

That Mondeo is a handsome car. RE: mountain biking, could you fit the car with a hitch-mounted bike carrier? Incorporate the hitch into a partial belly pan under the car to keep it from being an aero detriment, and then you could leave your roof rack of all the time and your bike, being in the car's wake, would not be an aero detriment either. Win-win.