EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from Sweden! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-sweden-32967.html)

Zovix 10-21-2015 02:00 PM

Hello from Sweden!

Hi everyone.

I am not new to Eco tune your car or trying to drive fuel efficient :turtle:...

I found out of this forum by recommendations on a Swedish ethanol forum. With E85 in your fuel tank you maybe more concerned about fuel consumption because the fact it has about 30% less energy per liter than regular gas.

I have several old cars and because of the tax laws in Sweden diesels aren't that economic if you don't drive a lot. My recent commuter car and off course hobby and project car is my Audi, a -96 A4 FWD with 1,8 liter turbocharged engine. Stock power is 150hp.

Naturally I have done some modifications sutch as converted the engine for E85 104 octan ethanol fuel. The car runs smooth an good without any sign of hammering, pinging or misfire. But I have some cold start problems. At temperatures of about 15 deg C or lower I have problems starting cold. Proberbly because the cold start program in Ecu is to lean for ethanol. If I floor the pedal when starting things get easier but not easy.

I have replaced th injectors with bigger and now recently replaced exhaust manifold and turbo. Just now in testing and trimming in state. I hade som boost problems with the new turbo so I think I had a quite lean run before adjusting boost pressure. I'm now running at 0.9bar (13psi) for safe reason. 0.7bar (10psi) is stock setting.

I plan to delete viscofan and power steering and to do some aero mods.

Best regards
Z

elhigh 10-22-2015 08:25 AM

Hi Zovix,

I assume you've already added block, coolant and/or transmission heaters? I know starting ethanol is tough, so warming things up beforehand can't hurt.

Or is your drive long enough to even make it worth the trouble?

Zovix 10-22-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 497296)
Hi Zovix,

I assume you've already added block, coolant and/or transmission heaters? I know starting ethanol is tough, so warming things up beforehand can't hurt.

Or is your drive long enough to even make it worth the trouble?

No actually I don't have any heaters just yet. I hade to dismount the coolant heater due to leakage. Naturally it will be replaced. I plan for fuel preheating.

I have 60km one way trip to work so I spend a lot of time in my car, also I live in a little town so I have a 20min (18km) ride just to go shopping. I try to plan to shop on my way home for work but sometimes I'm just to tired so I drive straight home.

I am interested of learning more about transmission heaters.

/Z

Daox 10-22-2015 03:21 PM

Welcome to the site. It sounds like a fun project you have there. We'd love to hear more about it as you progress.

elhigh 10-23-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zovix (Post 497337)
I try to plan to shop on my way home for work but sometimes I'm just to tired so I drive straight home.

/Z

Oh, man. We know how that goes.

I reckon there are all manner of engine and tranny heaters available for snowy Sweden. Shop around.

Zovix 10-23-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 497389)
Oh, man. We know how that goes.

I reckon there are all manner of engine and tranny heaters available for snowy Sweden. Shop around.

O actually it's not that snowy for now. I live in the region around Stockholm and for now we actually have un usual warm with temperatures well above zero degrees Celsius. But things can change quickly.

xavi 11-22-2015 12:55 PM

Welcome!
Cold just start here in Portugal and mpg already go way down...
A grill block and heaters are mandatory to good mpg in Sweden I think...

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-23-2015 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zovix (Post 497337)
I plan for fuel preheating.

It became more usual in Brazilian flexfuel cars since 2009. Since the first Brazilian car featuring fuel pre-heating was a Volkswagen, it might not be so hard for you to find parts to retrofit into your Audi :thumbup: