EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from a UK bike & car enthusiast (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-uk-bike-car-enthusiast-27675.html)

omega1987 12-02-2013 03:20 PM

Hello from a UK bike & car enthusiast

Hello - I’ve been lurking on this site for a few years now and thought I’d join up and thank you all for the excellent info on this site.

I currently drive a Citroen C5 saloon/sedan with a 1600cc direct injection turbo engine with 155bhp. I’ve had 46mpg out of a tank (38mpg USA) but usually get around 40mpg (33mpg USA) which is good for a big car but I believe I can improve upon this.

I also have a 125cc Honda CBF which I’ve had up to 150mpg (124mpg USA) and a 2,300cc Triumph Rocket which is capable of excellent MPG but I lack the self-restraint to achieve much over 40mpg.

Daox 12-02-2013 03:45 PM

Welcome to the site.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-02-2013 11:35 PM

Is your C5 fitted with a manual or an automatic transmission? BTW that engine in the Triumph Rocket is nice, I always wondered how that could fare in a midsize car (such as a Chevy Malibu) compared to a regular 4-pot...

omega1987 12-03-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 401663)
Is your C5 fitted with a manual or an automatic transmission? BTW that engine in the Triumph Rocket is nice, I always wondered how that could fare in a midsize car (such as a Chevy Malibu) compared to a regular 4-pot...

Hi CR, thanks for the welcome. It's a six speed manual in the C5 with a nice tall ratio in top (63mph = 2000rpm). I love the engine in the Rocket and would like to put one in an old BL mini just for fun, I did get 47MPG (imp) on a 700 mile trip to Scotland once at reasonably high speeds but it takes a long time to fully warm up so my usual MPG when commuting 15.5 miles to work is just 37MPG.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-03-2013 03:41 PM

That engine into a Mini could be a nice project.

MetroMPG 12-04-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

It's a six speed manual in the C5 with a nice tall ratio in top (63mph = 2000rpm).
Sigh. I wish we had more transmissions like that on this side of the ditch.

Any specific plans for the car?

Welcome to the forum!

ShadeTreeMech 12-04-2013 05:41 PM

welcome to the site limey!

We are collectively jealous of the insane eco friendly cars you have in Europe, especially the fact we can't hardly get a stick shift to save our lives. Slushboxes are the norm over here in the colonies.

We have a couple other guys from the UK, arragonis springs most readily to mind.

Were it not for jeremey Clarkson, I'd never have caught the reference to british Leyland. Thanks to top gear (and doctor Who I'm afraid) I have become a bit of an anglophile and drink tea correctly, but I still think y'all eat strange bacon.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-05-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech (Post 401919)
We are collectively jealous of the insane eco friendly cars you have in Europe, especially the fact we can't hardly get a stick shift to save our lives.

And they can get some manual transmissions not so compromised like the few ones available in America.