EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from a US highway near you. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-us-highway-near-you-12273.html)

travelingaaron 02-11-2010 11:26 PM

Hello from a US highway near you.

Hello all! This may end up being a short introduction just because I am so anxious to get into some new learning.

I drive a 91 Suzuki Swift. I recently decided I was tired of living in one place. I ended my lease, sold my household possessions, and bought this car. I will be driving around the US visiting friends, family, landmarks, and whatever else strikes me.

I got this car because I thought I would give me close to 40 mpg hwy. To my dismay, my first few tanks have been far less. I am averaging around 26 so far. I believe there might be some minor mechanical problems contributing to the problem and have been trying to figure it out.

So in an effort to get better mileage, I have turned here. I am planning on doing some aero mods along with slight engine improvements. Everything will progress as time/money allow.

Thanks for having me. Happy driving.

moonmonkey 02-11-2010 11:33 PM

welcome to the site,learn and modify, you will get more mpg's!

metroschultz 02-12-2010 11:25 AM

Greetings and Salutations,
Welcome and enjoy the camaraderie that is EcoModder.
When you are in Virginia Beach, look me up. (send email) I will assist you with your automotive needs. I have parts and tools for our cars.

travelingaaron 02-12-2010 11:33 AM

Right on! Lack of a proper place to work has indeed slowed my progress. I intend to be in VA in a month or so. If nothing else ill look you up just to check out your car and see you ideas at work.

MetroMPG 02-12-2010 11:51 AM

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on pulling up stakes for a 21st century walkabout. Enjoy.

By those MPG numbers, it sounds like you're either dealing with some mechanical issues, or driving like a loony. :) Hope you are able to correct the problem, whichever one it is. (Or both!)

Schultz: what a generous guy you are!

travelingaaron 02-12-2010 11:59 AM

Haha it is a bit of both. The mechanical issues are robbing me of power and keeping the gas pushed hard is how I keep from gettin run over. My habits will be able to improve once I can go 0-60 in under a minute without flooring it lol.

gone-ot 02-12-2010 12:57 PM

...you be Charles Karault (wink,wink)?

"Welcome aboard."

travelingaaron 02-12-2010 03:09 PM

I have to admit, I had never heard of Charles Kuralt. Perhaps I am too young. I thank you for causing me to find out who he was. His "On the Road" is exactly what I am wanting to do. I am very happy to have found this, I am going to have to learn more about him.

gone-ot 02-12-2010 03:11 PM

...I'm a wanna-be highway roamer too at heart but it's hard to make the realestate underneath our home "move" very far.

...hence, I read and look at pictures a lot!

cfg83 02-12-2010 04:47 PM

travelingaaron -

Welcome to EM! Here you go :

Charles Kuralt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

Charles Kuralt (September 10, 1934 – July 4, 1997) was an award-winning American journalist. He was most widely known for his long career with CBS, first for his "On the Road" segments on The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite, and later as the first anchor of CBS News Sunday Morning, a position he held for fifteen years.

Kuralt's "On the Road" segments were recognized twice with personal Peabody Awards. The first, awarded in 1968, cited those segments as heartwarming and "nostalgic vignettes"; in 1975, the award was for his work as a U.S. "bicentennial historian"; his work "captured the individuality of the people, the dynamic growth inherent in the area, and ...the rich heritage of this great nation." He shared in a third Peabody awarded to CBS News Sunday Morning.

CarloSW2