EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from Vermont (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-vermont-570.html)

Gone4 01-07-2008 08:16 PM

Hello guys. I am a brand new member who has been lurking for a few days now.

I have a lot of interest in this as a mechanical engineer graduating in May and going on to graduate school in fluids and heat transfer for more efficient machine designs.

Anyways, I go to school in the mountains of Vermont and drive through the NH mountains for various reasons as well, since I live at the foot of them in southern NH.

MetroMPG 01-07-2008 09:08 PM

Hi - welcome.

Hope you don't mind I copied the "hello" part of your question about mountain driving technique over here so everyone knows we have another de-lurker. :)

How'd you find us? I'm guessing you followed the Aerocivic here...

SVOboy 01-07-2008 09:09 PM

Welcome to the site! I'm currently living in NH, :)

Gone4 01-07-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 4494)
Hi - welcome.

Hope you don't mind I copied the "hello" part of your question about mountain driving technique over here so everyone knows we have another de-lurker. :)

How'd you find us? I'm guessing you followed the Aerocivic here...

I don't mind at all.

I actually followed the hack-a-day link from mid (?) December. I like to lurk for a long time before I finally come out, just so I don't look too stupid or break etiquette.

Just for some more information. I am a huge cyclist. I worked in Texas this summer, for LMCO/NASA, and biked on average about 250 miles a week. I'm afraid my future will be demanding more driving. I will be looking for a new car and definitely looking at modding it some.

I want to try and get a diesel but I'm not sure how easy it is to find one to buy and to find diesel to buy here.

Anyways, thanks guys.

SVOboy 01-07-2008 09:30 PM

What kinda bike are you riding? :D

MetroMPG 01-07-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenKreton (Post 4500)
I actually followed the hack-a-day link from mid (?) December.

Nice. The comments about the Aerocivic at hackaday were pretty decent, overall. It got a good discussion going!

Quote:

I worked in Texas this summer, for LMCO/NASA
Ooo. Any aerodynamics in your studies? :D

Gone4 01-07-2008 09:51 PM

I actually ride a ridiculously old Peugeot I bought off craigslist. I did mountain biking and downhill racing exclusively until recently. A new road bike that doesn't weigh so much is also in my future. I see you go to Dartmouth? I go to school up 89 at Norwich University, and I live in Nashua. :D

I have studied aerodynamics and my graduate courses will actually cover a good deal of fluids but I intend to focus on heat and mass transfer. I want to break into a small field of engineering that is designing machines based on entropy losses for maximum efficiency. My actual work in Texas was much less exciting... I designed flight support equipment for the orbital replacement units going to the space station.

MetroMPG 01-07-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenKreton (Post 4511)
My actual work in Texas was much less exciting... I designed flight support equipment for the orbital replacement units going to the space station.

That's not so bad! I met a phd in astrophysics at a Christmas party last month who ended up designing plastic gas tanks for GM. And helped them figure out why the paint wouldn't stick to the plastic panels on the first Fieros. :)

UfoTofU 01-07-2008 10:23 PM

Yay another Vermonter!

Vermonter here but now living in Maine.

Welcome :thumbup:

metroschultz 01-08-2008 10:59 AM

Greetings and Salutations,
Glad to have you aboard. Hmm. Lurk for awhile, learn the lay of the land, Then sign on.
If only I'd been that smart. Joined the first day I found it. Certain I've broke Etiquette a few times. Still learning.
Thanx for not censoring me guys. S.
lurk lurk lurk