EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   hello, watching for optimizations and the perfect solution (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-watching-optimizations-perfect-solution-907.html)

optiwatch 02-03-2008 12:18 PM

hello, watching for optimizations and the perfect solution

Thanks for hosting a great site with serious modders! Sorry for the long-winded first post, but it summarizes my interests and reason for joining.

I am glad to finally find a serious site around this subject. Yes, I originally followed a link for the aerocivic.

My last purchase of a mazdaspeed3 may not have been the best eco-purchase, but I'm always looking at ways to optimize what I have. I selected the MS3 because it stayed with 2-wheel drive and a stick, a small (and maybe misguided) justification.
Most of the modifications I seen (before this site) were intake/exhaust mods. They increase horse power, but will they allow me to run at highway speeds more efficiently? And what about emissions?
I will be looking at whether those mods help with normal driving or just peak performance.

I have many questions, but I will read through this site before asking too much.

A few interests:
EVs - waiting on battery technology to improve, hoping for the best by Googling "10 fold battery research nanowires"

Solar - technology is improving there, but don't have the link. I have always wanted a solar panel on my roof, or where ever it adds benefit to power the electronics. Should be less pull from the alternator and less drain on the "system". Google "detroit auto show 2008 solar panel prototype" for the A-BAT "solar panels on the dashboard" and the Cadillac Provoq solar panels "helps power accessories"

Lightweight components - It is hard to decipher whether some parts provide eco-benefit or just performance. flywheels, clutches, wheels, tires, carbon fiber, shafts, plumming, motor, etc - I'm sure I will learn about plenty of alternatives here.

Mechanical efficiency - my research so far has centered around lightweight components, but if 2WD is more efficient than AWD, why not go with 1WD? I followed the link for the "Mitsubishi i MiEV Sport (2007)". Nice stuff.

3 Wheeled enclosed vehicles - motorcycle-like feel with some protection. I saw a caravan of three or more very new looking ones run through Atlanta in 2005 or so.

Aerodynamics
- first article that really peaked my interest -
Mercedes-Benz Bionic Car - Cd value of 0.19
http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-715...0-0-0-0-0.html

Other technologies - cylinder cut offs, direct injection, variable valve timing advances

Gadgets (not) - everything I have read indicates that most mpg gadgets are worthless. I am still trying to locate the product testing results on the EPA website.

My perfect eco-vehicle of the future would be something that combined the best of many things: a Lotus Elise stripped of performance parts selection, use of future solar panels and batteries, high aerodynamics, with every possible

For now, I appreciate telecommuting twice a week and working on increasing that percentage, but I do have to heat the house more :(

SVOboy 02-03-2008 12:35 PM

Welcome to the site! It sounds like you'll have a lot to contribute, and we're all excited to have you around, :)

Gone4 02-03-2008 02:15 PM

Welcome to the forums. I like being the hopeful and waiting type but thankfully these guys are about improvements NOW, which is what we need. Every little bit helps.

DifferentPointofView 02-03-2008 08:57 PM

Welcome to EM! Don't forget to add your vehicle(s) to the EM Garage too!

MetroMPG 02-04-2008 08:54 AM

Hi optiwatch, welcome.

From the description of your interests, sounds like your dream vehicle would be the Aptera. It literally meets all of your points of interest. A member of a local EV club just put down a deposit for one.

The fact you've got a Mazdaspeed 3 tells me you probably also pay more attention to your driving than the average person. Don't forget there's a LOT that can be done in that department that will vastly improve efficiency.

Christopher Jordan 02-04-2008 10:22 AM

Welcome! I am a 3-wheel fanatic (aerodynamics and fuel efficiency thrown in(!)) and thought this article I saw yesterday might fit in your interests. I wanted to say welcome the best way I could! A cool 3-wheeler might do it.....
http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/news/2008/02/zap

countersTrike

optiwatch 02-07-2008 02:34 AM

EM Garage

Quote:

Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView (Post 8064)
Welcome to EM! Don't forget to add your vehicle(s) to the EM Garage too!

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't realize how to create an entry at first. Updated. I have posted my significant trips, but the gas log will take too long to enter.

optiwatch 02-07-2008 02:41 AM

Aptera

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 8108)
Hi optiwatch, welcome.

From the description of your interests, sounds like your dream vehicle would be the Aptera. It literally meets all of your points of interest. A member of a local EV club just put down a deposit for one.

The fact you've got a Mazdaspeed 3 tells me you probably also pay more attention to your driving than the average person. Don't forget there's a LOT that can be done in that department that will vastly improve efficiency.

Thanks for the reference. I checked out a good bit of information on the Aptera. The fact that it sits a bit high seemed like an odd choice, but very interesting. If they could arrange to fit a third person... and at $26K, much better than a Tesla. Their use of solar was "standard" with concept cars to power accessories. I would like to see increased solar for charging the batteries. My car sits in the sun for 9 hours a day, seems like it could be soaking up energy. Maybe it is of little help for the amount of charge motor needs.

Thanks again.

optiwatch 02-07-2008 02:46 AM

350 HP electric

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 8116)
Welcome! I am a 3-wheel fanatic (aerodynamics and fuel efficiency thrown in(!)) and thought this article I saw yesterday might fit in your interests. I wanted to say welcome the best way I could! A cool 3-wheeler might do it.....
http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/news/2008/02/zap

countersTrike

Extremely nice design. I didn't realize how much those in-wheel motors would hit performance/handling. The future is looking very interesting.

-Thanks