EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Help beeded: Base Insight Mechanic Keller Texas (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-beeded-base-insight-mechanic-keller-texas-36263.html)

InsightGeekTweak 03-16-2018 06:28 PM

Help beeded: Base Insight Mechanic Keller Texas

I need a mechanic that is located near Keller Texas. I have a 2001 Honda Insight that is having charging issues. I’m having issues with the engine charging system. I need a mechanic ASAP. ( no spam or sales pleas. )

MetroMPG 03-16-2018 07:22 PM

If you don't get a reply here, try asking at insightcentral.net

Natalya 03-16-2018 11:09 PM

I don't live in Texas, but can you tell us what's going on exactly?

Also, check the ground straps under your hood, there are 3 you need to look at:
- One going to the 12V battery
- Two coming from the engine underneath the air box to the body on the driver's side

If those are damaged they can cause IMA charging issues.

InsightGeekTweak 03-18-2018 01:30 PM

Here’s what’s going on...

It acts like a non-hybrid car when the alternator goes out. It’s not the “under the hood” battery. It will boost and run for a minute or two after charging both batteries as I have installed a charger for the hybrid battery.

I work out of town a lot and need to find a mechanic that is skilled in the Base Insight and who is reasonably priced.

Thank you.

Natalya 03-18-2018 03:49 PM

1: "need to find a mechanic that is skilled in the Base Insight"
-- There is only one guy in the USA, Scott Kulbeck in Covina, California who meets these criteria. The car was low volume, most mechanics have never worked on one before, only about 14000 were sold in the USA. Scott's the only American expert on these cars who is also a mechanic.

2: Your 2001 Insight doesn't have an alternator.
-- All electrical power is generated by the IMA motor which is bolted to the crankshaft between the engine and the transmission. This is routed to the DC/DC inverter in the back of the car and used to charge either the IMA battery or routed back up front to charge the 12v battery.

3: When you start the car is the check engine light and the IMA light on?

Are the red brake and red battery lights coming on at the same time? This would be related to P1449 + low IMA battery voltage causing DC/DC inverter to deactivate. Or you could have bad ground straps which would produce a similar scenario.

I'm guessing you've got check engine light for P1449, unless it's early stage decay which could just have brake//batt lights on + no 12v charging as only symptoms.

I have a couple potential simple fixes for you but I need more diagnosis information -- are the ground straps OK (just open the hood and look at them as described in my first post), what lights remain on after you start the car, and any knowledge you might have about the age of both the hybrid battery and the 12v battery.

I've personally owned 3 of these old Insights, a 2000 and two 2001s, at this age all of these cars have electrical problems, but there's some recommendations I can make (that you can do with no special tools) if you give me a little bit more info.

cowmeat 03-19-2018 05:23 AM

Normally you can just turn off the switch to the IMA battery until you sort out the issue. The car will still run but the 12V will start it instead of the IMA, you won't have assist and at some point you won't have AC. The car is sluggish without assist but still driveable.

I ran my last Insight for months without IMA assist with no real issues.

InsightGeekTweak 03-20-2018 12:29 AM

Reply to Natalya

Natalya, I’ll get you more info when I am home again. Thank you.