EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Help with DIY electric system and hybrid ideas (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-diy-electric-system-hybrid-ideas-10892.html)

ProtractedSilence 11-06-2009 09:43 PM

Help with DIY electric system and hybrid ideas

This is one of my first posts on here if not the first. I've got some ideas for some gas-saving electric mods for any car. I would love comments, critique, direction or directing towards threads that address any of these ideas. The ideas build on each other.

1. Alternator deactivation
- install a 3 mode switch
o Normal
o On only when accelerating (otherwise coil deactivated with relay), unless V drops below threshold (microcontroller required - PIC, handyboard or even Lego) – activated by switch installed on top of throttle pedal.
o Off (requires voltage monitoring - microcontroller)

2. Add electric motor to drive system by integrating with belt system or direct to driveshaft (DC from forklift? AC induction? Recommendations? I would love to have an Switched Reluctance Motor but dont know where to get one)
-install in place of alternator and/or engine starter (belt driven); or direct attach to crankshaft (recommendations here?) The folks that were trying to market the Electrocharger for more power were trying to do something similar but for a different reason
-battery pack in trunk
- add foot switches on both brake and accelerator
-when brake pressed lightly, motor coil activated but power from battery disconnected to regenerative brake
-when accelerator pressed lightly, coil activated and motor on
- when pedals not pressed motor coil is deactivated
-possibly add an additional switch underneath the accelerator pedal, so that motor coil can be deactivated under hard acceleration. Alternatively, use shaft encoder to monitor speed with a microcontroller so that above certain speeds the motor coil is disconnected.

3. engine stop start (requires enhanced battery pack and/or better starter or possibly the electric motor installed in item 2)
-separate PIC controller; redundant shaft encoders and interrupt switch (relay) with ignition
-stop at 0 rpm, start with accelerator press
This would be the automatice version of some of the recent threads i've seen posted about kill switch button installs.

Any microcontroller should have a simple readout to troubleshoot and do regular readouts of what is happening.

some_other_dave 11-09-2009 08:10 PM

The best bang-for-your buck is changing the way you drive. Just slowing down 5 MPH on the freeway can get you 10% better mileage, which is more than most car mods can give you.

I'm up 50% on mine so far, just by changing the way I drive!!

-soD

Mustang Dave 11-09-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_other_dave (Post 138683)
The best bang-for-your buck is changing the way you drive. Just slowing down 5 MPH on the freeway can get you 10% better mileage, which is more than most car mods can give you.

I'm up 50% on mine so far, just by changing the way I drive!!

-soD

Yup. Adjusting the nut behind the wheel can make for the greatest improvements. Especially in stop&go driving. I generally drive the speed limit, and adjusting my commuting route to a route with lower speed limits increased my FE. (even with more stoplights) I try to time the lights and decelerate early to avoid having to stop.

Daox 11-09-2009 09:40 PM

Welcome to the site.

All of that can certainly be done for some good gains. However, I'll chime in with some other dave, driving technique comes first and will likely show you your largest gain.

After driving technique I'd start with the easy good bang for little work mods like a grill block and other easy aeromods.

For heavy city driving, the hybridizing will help a lot, but it won't do squat for highway driving unless you swap in a smaller engine.

Your ideas are good, but complex and costly. I'm just letting you know there are better/easier ways to start off.

ProtractedSilence 11-10-2009 11:03 AM

Thanks, but more help needed

Thanks everyone for your responses - I am aware of what you mention as I've been lurking for a while and hypermiling with the family car.

However, I am interested in any technical help or advice about these specific mods. Thanks!

-Bill

Daox 11-10-2009 12:32 PM

Alright Bill, just needed to give ya the newbie intro. :)

1) Alternator deactivation
This has been covered a few times. You can search for 'atlernator delete' or 'alternator disable' to find pertinent info. Controlling it with a microcontroller is an option, or use a voltage comparator chip to measure tps and battery voltages. However, if you are going to keep the alternator disconnected for any reasonable amount of time (giving the best mileage increase) you're going to need a deep cycle battery. Then, I'd just size it for your daily commuting so you can keep it off all the time. If you want to do something fancy, engage it when you brake. I considered this when I did my alternator disable, but have decided there are just better things to pursue.

2) Electric drive
There is so much flexibility with this idea and tons of options. You need to decide how much power you want/need and then decide weather you want to go with AC or DC. AC will give you regen but controllers and the usual voltages the motors require is quite high which means a lot of cash.
One guy here has done a conversion like this. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ress-5599.html

3) Auto start/stop
This is quite doable, although nobody here has done it either. A bit of work with a microcontroller and using the ABS sensors and tps of course would probably give you want you want.