Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

honda automatic to manumatic question

hi, new member from scotland uk here. im just wondering if anybody on the site has successfully modified there auto transmission to shift manually (specifically hondas). ive read a lot of info here on manumatic conversion and solenoid switching. just wondering if theres anybody who has found any other modifications that can be done and/or there experience with these type of modifications.

thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
If it's controlled by solenoids, it's possible ... with a bit of work. However, you're still going to have the inefficient torque converter, that, when unlocked is going to use up a lot of energy. Even manually locking it would require some more work (and would definitely set a check engine light) .. and require a lot more work to "shift" the manumatic.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
(and would definitely set a check engine light) .. and
Not necessarily. I've read about a few different Subie owners running the 4EAT (like mine) who become disenchanted with how their lockup TC works and have wired in a manual switch to force the lockup one way or the other. Incorporating a dummy load to simulate the presence of the solenoid keeps the CEL from lighting.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Not necessarily. I've read about a few different Subie owners running the 4EAT (like mine) who become disenchanted with how their lockup TC works and have wired in a manual switch to force the lockup one way or the other. Incorporating a dummy load to simulate the presence of the solenoid keeps the CEL from lighting.
i may investigate this for more ideas.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

had a quick look but they dont seem to have full manual control over the up and down shift
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
If you're in Europe, why don't you get a manual transmission and adapt an automatic clutch setup like the ones used by disabled drivers? At least it's easier to get those back there than in America...
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
That's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japcarmaniac View Post
had a quick look but they dont seem to have full manual control over the up and down shift
Those owners are only building overrides for their torque converter lockup clutches. I don't know of any who have done anything about building in a command override for the shifting system. I don't doubt there are some smart hacker/gearheads out there that could do it, but I can emphatically assure you that I am not one of them. And of course I'm still talking about Subaru owners; whether any of this info translates into Honda hardware I have no idea.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
I've seen successful conversion of Jeep Cherokee's automatic gearbox to "manumatic" with converter lockup on demand. It worked great, but ECU was very simple. Newer cars can throw a code when gearbox will miss a shifting point. So my suggestion is to not mess anything up permanently. Just leave GCU working until you'll be sure that your setup is working fine in all conditions.
I think that can be done, and you gave me a subject to think of. Maybe someday I'll try to convert my wife's car to manumatic.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 04-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i know its possible and have seen a few dsm (our equivalent to Mitsubishi think) owners doing this and it would be great so get some definitive info specifically on hondas as im sure alot of people would benefit. as mentioned above if there are electronic safety features built into the car programming then over riding things could create problems. only one way to find out.... lol.

Reply  Post New Thread