EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Help me choose tires. Non eco project. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-me-choose-tires-non-eco-project-38538.html)

hat_man 08-16-2020 10:30 AM

Help me choose tires. Non eco project.

Hello everyone,

I have a non Eco project car I am restoring and need some help deciding on what series tires to run.

I have no experience with low profile tires so I have no idea how they ride. I know a lower sidewall will be stiffer, but I was hoping that with newer tire technologies, they may have improved from what I have read. So the question is this. Can anyone clue me in on how a 45 or 40 series tire might ride? I know there are many other variables involved (tire compound/tread/width/etc.) but I'm looking for more of a general idea. I definitely want to limit the road noise for the long highway cruises and worry about how the lower profile tires will handle road imperfections. I have found 40 and 45 series tires in 16" and 17" and that will give me plenty of wheel options to compliment the car. I could also use 15" tires and comfortable go to a 60 series tire, but it will limit my options on wheels. I don't want to molest the body so I am limited to a maximum 25" tire and that may even be to tight. I would like at least a 225 width for those occasional (cough cough) times I "might" want to get on the go faster pedal. it will only see 3 seasons (no snow ever) so probably a touring tire of some sort.

Car is a 1976 Triumph TR7 that will have a GM L33 V8 truck engine. I'm not building this to be a great eco car, but definitely a highway cruiser that I can still open some eyes with from the in-town stoplights. Roughly 325+ rwhp when all is said and done. Probably a 60%-70% highway car.

Any advice?

California98Civic 08-18-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat_man (Post 629670)
Hello everyone,

I have a non Eco project car I am restoring and need some help deciding on what series tires to run.

I have no experience with low profile tires so I have no idea how they ride. I know a lower sidewall will be stiffer, but I was hoping that with newer tire technologies, they may have improved from what I have read. So the question is this. Can anyone clue me in on how a 45 or 40 series tire might ride? I know there are many other variables involved (tire compound/tread/width/etc.) but I'm looking for more of a general idea. I definitely want to limit the road noise for the long highway cruises and worry about how the lower profile tires will handle road imperfections. I have found 40 and 45 series tires in 16" and 17" and that will give me plenty of wheel options to compliment the car. I could also use 15" tires and comfortable go to a 60 series tire, but it will limit my options on wheels. I don't want to molest the body so I am limited to a maximum 25" tire and that may even be to tight. I would like at least a 225 width for those occasional (cough cough) times I "might" want to get on the go faster pedal. it will only see 3 seasons (no snow ever) so probably a touring tire of some sort.

Car is a 1976 Triumph TR7 that will have a GM L33 V8 truck engine. I'm not building this to be a great eco car, but definitely a highway cruiser that I can still open some eyes with from the in-town stoplights. Roughly 325+ rwhp when all is said and done. Probably a 60%-70% highway car.

Any advice?

I am no tire expert. I remember the TR7: "The Shape." Great project!

Personally, I would be against really low profile tires, unles the rims are carefully matched to the look of "the shape." I think low profiles are more prone to blowouts and rim damage in potholes, especially if you run lower tire pressures to soften the ride a little.

You burried the lede! The thread title should be Pick low profile tires for my '76 TR7... that'll get lots of clicks.

jcp123 08-18-2020 07:09 PM

I ran 245/45-ZR17s on my ‘68 Mustang. 45 is about as thin as I’d ever go. They replaced some (I think) 205/65r14 or 15’s. It did stiffen up the ride, but it wasn’t a dramatic change - it probably helped that the old tires were cheap no-names, they tend to not be quite as nice riding.

freebeard 08-21-2020 11:39 PM

The shorter sidewall should improve turn-in. I've nothing else to offer, as 165-50R15 (Federal Formoza) is the lowest profile I've run.

But, pix please? Or at least tell us what color it its. :)

hat_man 08-23-2020 09:06 AM

6 Attachment(s)
For the moment I am thinking these might be my choices, but more research is in order.

235/45/16
245/45/16
225/50/16
225/55/15
245/50/15
235/50/15

And as requested some pics. I haven't had much time to start with the pull out and it is definitely going to be a long term project. Still has the original pinstripes on the body and around the trunk (boot) latch. Last one is similar to the engine going back in.

ksa8907 08-24-2020 10:44 AM

With a relatively light weight wheel, a 45 isnt too bad. My wife's car has 45's but the tire wheel combo is around 100lbs. My car has 50's also a much more refined suspension and far lighter wheels. I think both are very comfortable to drive.

Piotrsko 08-25-2020 10:48 AM

The one thing I will add: low profile tires suck on rough roads.

ksa8907 08-26-2020 11:33 AM

Important to keep in mind the tire width changes the sidewall height even if comparing two tires that are "low profile". My wife's 285/45/22's are or near low profile, but due to the width actually have a taller sidewall than my 235/50/17's.

And yes, my volt handles absolutely amazing!

freebeard 08-26-2020 12:18 PM

I talked to a guy behind the counter of a tire store who thought aspect ratio is absolute instead of a ratio. I didn't try to convince him, I just got the tires somewhere else.

ksa8907 08-27-2020 06:17 PM

Just to throw it in, I have General Gmax AS-05 tires and love them. I had the AS-03 before that on my CTS, loved them as well. Really great wet traction.