Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Now the other head gasket is [allegedly] leaking!

I may later censor and link the original inspection, 12/08, and 122,435 miles:

Good: Washer fluid (leaked all over the parking lot, which they mentioned verbally)
Transmission fluid: Leaking from wire harness
Brake fluid: Dirty and due for service (clear)
Power steering fluid: Dirty (Subarus use ATF! They did not notice that it was the wrong color?!)
Engine air cleaner: Little dirty
Requires immediate attention: Right side head gasket leaking
Oil cooler o-ring leaking
Right front inner DOJ (CV) boot leaking (also ripped to shreds)
Front and rear diffs due for service
Dirty fluid (the differentials? They opened it? There is not a dipstick!)

So, now that I replaced the right head gasket and windshield washer reservoir, had a mechanic check the brake fluid, flushed the power steering fluid, had the mechanic check the engine air cleaner and replace the half shaft:

09/21 and 123,840 miles:
Fog lights do not turn on (they did not notice before?)
Front wipers bad (I checked recently and did not replace because they felt fine and worked properly)
Passenger spray does not work (apparently)
Rear sprayer does not work
[All marked "will require further attention," not "requires immediate attention"]
Transmission leaking
Front diff leaking
Timing cover leaking (time?!)
Left head gasket leaking
Rear diff leaking
Where were all of these leaks 1,405 miles ago?!
Power steering leaking from reservoir.

I had someone contact me last night and they are waiting to hear back about the inspection. The one that KBB said $1,885, so he would not pay more than two thousand came back and said that he might pay $2,500-2,700. I have appointments tomorrow with the two other Subaru dealerships in the area, where they very well may not agree on anything whatsoever, but I am going to find another shop so I can report something. If they say the head gasket is leaking then it sure looks like I am out of luck.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Might be more of a question of, how bad are these leaks. You might climb under there and find little more than seepage. Then you could take pics to show to potential buyers along side the inspection, and be able to say how minor of issues this guy inspecting the car was trying to grasp for.

Where were all the leaks before? I haven't seen many $2500 cars I couldn't write up a list of problems on. A tech could write a list of major issues, or maybe a top 10 or so. If they write out another 50 minor items it takes time, and then the next thing you know you're pricing out a $6000 list of little bs to a random customer that 99.9% of customers have no actual intrest of having you repair
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I had two mechanics look at my Prelude before I purchased it and took it to a third afterward who listed five thousand dollars in repairs (for a $2,500 car that ran well), and like you said, the lady told me that it was normal.

I thought that I fixed everything, though.

Perhaps when they found the bad head gasket they did not feel they needed to look that hard--that one repair would have been excessive in many cases.

So, the next shop did an inspection and stated "Struts and shocks to be replaced every 50 & 75k with alignment. Mounts are oil-soaked and need to be replaced. Engine has leaks; Need steam to determine from where. Wiring to transfer case seal needs to be replaced. Hoses look OE and need to be replaced."

The third shop said:
Quote:
rcm $93.99 x 1 0878410 Falken SN 211
rcm:$89.99 x 1 8581349 COMPUTERIZED WHEEL ALIGNMENT
rcm:$34.99 x 1 8582342 FLUID LEAK EVALUATION
Two pages and that is all of the information. Rcm is recommend? One tire, an alignment, and more money to determine from where it is leaking?

Which tire?

Which fluid is leaking? Aren't they different colors?

What else did they check?

I met a set of potential customers at a gas station and they said they were "highly motivated" or something--the husband said that he was a real estate broker. They seemed nice and said something about negotiating the price. They want me to take the car to their mechanic tomorrow, so we will see what their Magic Eight Ball tells us.

I want to sell them a good car for a fair price, but after all of this, I want money to show for everything.

Reply  Post New Thread