EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Help please? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-please-14627.html)

tercelkisor 09-21-2010 09:35 PM

Help please?

Hey all.

i just recenly got a new truck (2000 ford ranger. 5 spd/ 4 cyl. with 8 spark plugs.) my old car only got about 25 mpg so im okay with around that area. since i got he truck ive checked my mpg twice. i got 15 then 18. it just seems like i should be getting better gas mileage.

I try to drive well. i get to 5th gear about 40-45 mph. i use a/c about half the time. ive read about some triving techniques on here that i cant remember. i need help in what mods to do and other tricks to help. id like to get at least 20 mpg. closer to 30 would be alot better. thanks

Bicycle Bob 09-21-2010 09:39 PM

Writing out some driving tips, and posting them on your steering wheel are both good memory aids. The truck may need a tune up.

Weather Spotter 09-21-2010 09:39 PM

First off, take a look at the 100+ driving tips. Then look at the wiki page for MPG mods:
Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder
You should find lots of ideas, and user gains!

user removed 09-21-2010 09:44 PM

Lazy 02 sensor?

regards
Mech

tercelkisor 09-21-2010 09:57 PM

yea. my check engine light comes on sometimes and the code is o2 sensor. what exactly is a tune up. like what different jobs? sorry for the dumbness?

Daox 09-22-2010 07:27 AM

A bad O2 sensor will definitely hurt mileage.

BTW, you only need to post one thread about one topic. Don't post multiple threads with the same text.

Phantom 09-22-2010 11:21 AM

A tuneup is usually just fuel injector cleaner, spark plugs & wires, air filter, fuel filter, and O2 sensor. Depending on how old the different things are some may not need to be done.

solarguy 09-22-2010 01:15 PM

Definitely review all the tips mentioned. Some will strike your fancy. Some won't. Do what you can.

Check your tire pressure. Easy, free, often measurable results on the first tank. I like to run mine at the sidewall rated pressure, +3.

How fast do you drive?

Does it have a bed cap? How would you feel about building a simple one for around fifty bucks?

Keep us posted.

troy

busypaws 09-22-2010 03:53 PM

Yes something is wrong with your Ranger. I have Toyota PU 4cyl and 5sp. I get 27mpg without any mods and gentle driving. Your Ranger should be in that 24-28 range as well.
Fix what is broken -- get a good baseline (3-4 tanks) -- then start making changes in driving style and modifications and see what kind of improvements you can make.
----Welcome

99metro 09-22-2010 05:05 PM

If that is the 2.9L, they are gas hogs. Not sure if you can advance the timing easily, but it will gain you a bit there by advancing it. Mostly it is HOW you drive that will net you the most MPG. You might consider a device that will give you instantaneous feedback (Scangauge II?) on your MPGs so that you know where your sweet spots are and where you need to improve.

Now if you had one of those old 2.0L Rangers - then there'd be no problem pushing 30+ mpg. I was getting 33+ mpg out of my old 1.9L 4spd 1984 S-10 with just advancing the timing.