Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
hypergolics and hypermiling

hypergolic: spontaneous combustion with two chemicals, no ignition.

I have to remind myself this time of year, working with old steel, welding, body chemicals etc...and a lean burn engine.

last year I was drilling a broken gas bolt tank, not even a stressful chore for the bit... and it happened. like two sticks rubbing together I witnessed a chain reaction....

as engines get tighter into the hypermiling.. be very careful, its like hyper sensitive waiting for the the hypergolic chance...rare.. but possible.

ethanoled fuels, mixing with bad pcv is about as crazy as a normal car gets.. but there is other mysteries.

the other stuff I encountered is when I flash fired red oxide looking stuff with a mig welder, did not expect that...hidden in a body channel that never saw light for 2 decades.

Today, I decided to smooth out some body filler work I slapped on last year.. I noticed after a year the bondo did not dry, came right off under the paint.. so upon scraping it all down and redoing it correct...the engine started differently.. bizarre. What does incorrect bondo under paint on a body panel have to do with engine runtime?

making it seem too simple.. is not a good idea.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
hypergolic: spontaneous combustion with two chemicals, no ignition.

I have to remind myself this time of year, working with old steel, welding, body chemicals etc...and a lean burn engine.

last year I was drilling a broken gas bolt tank, not even a stressful chore for the bit... and it happened. like two sticks rubbing together I witnessed a chain reaction....

as engines get tighter into the hypermiling.. be very careful, its like hyper sensitive waiting for the the hypergolic chance...rare.. but possible.

ethanoled fuels, mixing with bad pcv is about as crazy as a normal car gets.. but there is other mysteries.

the other stuff I encountered is when I flash fired red oxide looking stuff with a mig welder, did not expect that...hidden in a body channel that never saw light for 2 decades.

Today, I decided to smooth out some body filler work I slapped on last year.. I noticed after a year the bondo did not dry, came right off under the paint.. so upon scraping it all down and redoing it correct...the engine started differently.. bizarre. What does incorrect bondo under paint on a body panel have to do with engine runtime?

making it seem too simple.. is not a good idea.
Making light of unrelated things so that they seem to have some correlation... also not a good idea.

Just sayin'.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
The only reason that I can think of right now is that the bondo interfered with the electrical path for the ground adding resistance placing more draw on the battery and alternator causing the motor to work harder to keep the voltage up.

Just a guess though.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Reply  Post New Thread