EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/opengauge-mpguino-fe-computer.html)
-   -   Help - Spiffie MPGuino Problem (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-spiffie-mpguino-problem-5865.html)

moorecomp 11-05-2008 02:33 AM

Help - Spiffie MPGuino Problem

All,

I installed my Spiffie.org MPGuino tonight and all was well until I went for a drive. When stopped, the GH showed .31 at idle, about right. No speed indication. When driving, and the VSS started to send a signal, the guino would reset, work for a while, speed would read high, reset, finally locked up. Had to remove power to reset. It is connected to the vss+ at the ecu, vss counts set to 8000 for now. Where to go from here?:(

dcb 11-05-2008 04:48 AM

Couple suggestions:
1. Triple check your power and ground connections.
2. make sure all the components are in the right place and have the right orientation.
3. make sure there are no "solder bridges", or other loose conductors on or near the board.
4. re-melt your solder joints. Just touch a hot iron to each one.

moorecomp 11-05-2008 11:16 PM

Success,:D

I disassembled my dash tonight and rewired the duino to use the signal VSS at the speedometer. Works like a champ! I did retouch all the solder joints and I have my duino hardwired instead of using the phone cord. (I used CAT5 stranded patch cord). I mounted the switches to a small perf board and put them in the dash in front of the steering wheel and they look great. Can hardly see them and they look like they have always been there. I also modified my lcd by removing the polarizing film and rotating it to give the light numbers and dark background. Very easy on the eyes at night. I use the brightness setting 1 and I may end up changing the settings for the 3 preset levels since it is so bright. I don't have it in an enclosure yet, but I will post pics when I am done. On the first try out, I did have the vss set to 8000, but the speed was double what I was actually travelling, so I am using 16000 now. Seems to be very close. Great work and many thanks to all who contribute to this project.:thumbup:

SVOboy 11-05-2008 11:36 PM

:thumbup: for a guino success story.

dcb 11-06-2008 03:50 AM

Sweet! :)

I'm trying the inversion trick right now (for the hud thread).

moorecomp 11-06-2008 08:17 AM

If you are doing the polarization inversion, I found the best way to remove the adhesive from the glass and film is to rub it off by using a pencil eraser. Don't use acetone! Alcohol is ok to use to clean it up after you remove the bulk of the glue with the eraser. Simply push the goo in one direction with the eraser and it will ball up as you go. My film did not work by simply flipping it over. I actually had to cut it into several pieces to rotate it and still cover the whole glass. Someday, I will get a bigger piece of film and replace the pieces, but for now it looks ok.:thumbup:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-mo...-like-very.jpg

wagonman76 11-06-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorecomp (Post 71071)
Success,:D

I disassembled my dash tonight and rewired the duino to use the signal VSS at the speedometer. Works like a champ! I did retouch all the solder joints and I have my duino hardwired instead of using the phone cord. (I used CAT5 stranded patch cord). I mounted the switches to a small perf board and put them in the dash in front of the steering wheel and they look great. Can hardly see them and they look like they have always been there. I also modified my lcd by removing the polarizing film and rotating it to give the light numbers and dark background. Very easy on the eyes at night. I use the brightness setting 1 and I may end up changing the settings for the 3 preset levels since it is so bright. I don't have it in an enclosure yet, but I will post pics when I am done. On the first try out, I did have the vss set to 8000, but the speed was double what I was actually travelling, so I am using 16000 now. Seems to be very close. Great work and many thanks to all who contribute to this project.:thumbup:

Cool, glad to see that you got it working. I pick up my VSS pulses at the wiring going to the speedometer as well. My cars use a VSS buffer (sometimes its part of the ECM, sometimes its not) to clean up the wildly swinging VSS signal and turn it into discrete pulses. And I would think that if vehicles of this vintage did this, most anything newer would as well. My speed reading is very solid.

Id like to see your work sometime when it is all done. Maybe we could meet up again sometime.

dcb 11-06-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorecomp (Post 71104)

Cool, it looks like that is exactly how the blue LCDs are made. That polarizing film is fun stuff :) I think I understand why some folks are complaining of glare, I wonder if you can even read the blue LCDs with polarized sunglasses on?

moorecomp 11-06-2008 12:53 PM

Oh man, you just got me thinking! I wear polarized sunglasses all the time when I am driving. (Sound of me running outside to car) - All is well. I just checked and I can see it fine with the sunglasses on. What looks like glare on mine is actually a glare reducing screen protector applied over the pieces of polarizing film. There are gaps between the two where the pieces of film are put together.

wagonman -
Sure, we can get together again anytime. I will be in Petoskey tomorrow and will be coming back your way in the afternoon. Let me know what a good time would be and where.

wyatt 11-07-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 71131)
I wonder if you can even read the blue LCDs with polarized sunglasses on?

Nope, you can't. I have the blue LCD and two sets of sunglasses, one that polarizes, the other doesn't... If I wear the polarizing ones the screen is basically black. The non-polarizing ones are just fine.

i_am_socket 11-13-2008 02:09 PM

The radio and ODO on my car are LCD and if I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses I have to tilt my head slightly to the left to see them clearly.

Just finished assembling my Spiffie Guino last night and was wondering where the best place to pick up the VSS would be. Might have to look into that tapping the speedo technique...