EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Help on trans fluid (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-trans-fluid-12770.html)

RandomFact314 03-28-2010 08:33 PM

Help on trans fluid

***Sorry for the typo in the title***

I know many people say to never change your trans fluid but mine is brownish... I do not want to completely change my fluid but cant I atleast drain a quart out and put a quart of sythetic in?

I already bought the sythetic trans fluid b/c these mechanics told me I was short some trans fluid so I got this and put a little in to fill it (even though it wasn't that low)

So is diluting the dirty with new ok?

Changing 1 quart of nasty for 1 quart of new cant hurt :confused:

Thymeclock 03-28-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomFact314 (Post 168148)
***Sorry for the typo in the title***

I know many people say to never change your trans fluid but mine is brownish... I do not want to completely change my fluid but cant I atleast drain a quart out and put a quart of sythetic in?

I already bought the sythetic trans fluid b/c these mechanics told me I was short some trans fluid so I got this and put a little in to fill it (even though it wasn't that low)

So is diluting the dirty with new ok?

Changing 1 quart of nasty for 1 quart of new cant hurt :confused:

Why go with synthetic? How will that matter? It won't make any difference. The fluid that is in the system is non-synthetic, but it is contaminated. Contaminated fluid will ruin transmission components.

Seeing that the fluid is brown, whatever damage that might exist has already been done. Unfortunately it's not a good sign, and changing the fluid at this late stage probably won't help. However, it wouldn't hurt to do it either, because not changing the fluid just prolongs and guarantees the unaddressed deteriorating condition. The most inexpensive and practical attempt you can make as an attempt towards remedy would be to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. You will only be changing about half of it, as the remainder stays in the system in the torque converter. But changing half is better than changing none at all, and you can do a drain and refill again in a month to try to keep it clean. If you are lucky you will ward off needing a tranny rebuild, which is a very costly repair.

Most A/T's fail with dirty, contaminated fluid. Some fail no matter what you do, regardless of changing the fluid regularly if the transmission is of inadequate design or prone to failure. But you'll never never go wrong by changing A/T fluid at the first signs of irregularity or deterioration (pinkish, brownish, burnt, etc.). It amazes me that so few people drain and renew their fluid regularly. Changing the fluid only costs a few $$ compared to well over a thousand $$ for rebuilding the tranny.

RandomFact314 03-29-2010 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 168170)
Why go with synthetic? How will that matter? It won't make any difference. The fluid that is in the system is non-synthetic, but it is contaminated. Contaminated fluid will ruin transmission components....... rebuilding the tranny.

THIS is why I got synthetic, it was in the 65+ Efficiency Mods section...
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1269844852

Thymeclock 03-29-2010 12:50 PM

Unfortunately topping off your existing fluid will not improve the poor condition of the fluid that is in the system.

nayeliesuncle 03-30-2010 12:45 AM

Do not change it.

Unforgiven 04-01-2010 11:25 PM

A pan drop fluid change often costs around 49 to 69 dollars US, and as stated only changes about half the fluid. A trans flush will change it all, at an increased cost of 89 to 149 dollars US. Trans flushes are accomplished by tapping into the transmission cooler lines (often just unhooking one and putting the flush machine into the "cycle" of the transmission cooler system) and removes old fluid while adding new fluid. Certain vehicles that do require "special" synthetic transmission fluids may cost more to do the flush, but all in all, it is a worthwhile thing to do to help keep a transmission operating for a good long time.
Having said all that, if your fluid is a solid brown as opposed to a transparent pinkish brown, then you may be beyond where a fluid change will really help you out. Good luck.

Thymeclock 04-02-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unforgiven (Post 168815)
A pan drop fluid change often costs around 49 to 69 dollars US, and as stated only changes about half the fluid. A trans flush will change it all, at an increased cost of 89 to 149 dollars US. Trans flushes are accomplished by tapping into the transmission cooler lines (often just unhooking one and putting the flush machine into the "cycle" of the transmission cooler system) and removes old fluid while adding new fluid. Certain vehicles that do require "special" synthetic transmission fluids may cost more to do the flush, but all in all, it is a worthwhile thing to do to help keep a transmission operating for a good long time.
Having said all that, if your fluid is a solid brown as opposed to a transparent pinkish brown, then you may be beyond where a fluid change will really help you out. Good luck.

Everything you said is true, and good advice.

However, there are a few other options:

Drop the pan yourself, and change the filter and fluid. Or at least, just drain the pan from the drain plug and change the fluid. The only expense would be the filter & gasket and the fluid. Either option is better than leaving all the current, deteriorated fluid in the system. It might be too late, but doing nothing about it virtually guarantees failure of the transmission.