EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   help W/ Remote Kill Switch Idea (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-w-remote-kill-switch-idea-3956.html)

93hatchDX 07-21-2008 01:34 AM

help W/ Remote Kill Switch Idea

I'm concerned about car theft and want to do something to prevent it in the first place.

My car has a ECU (Electronic Control Unit) that must be connected in order for my car to start. This ECU has a fuse (15amp) located under the hood. Without this fuse in the fuse slot..the car will not start. The engine lights come on and the engine will turn over but not start.

I want to connect/disconnect the ECU fuse in order to disable/able the car. I want to do this remotely while the car is in the full off position.

I'm interested in this remote toggle switch here:
Remote control 12v DC relay switch

This toggle switch then
connected to a small servo which is used to connect/disconnect the 15amp fuse. ( there is plenty of room inside the fusebox area clear of the other fuses)

I want the toggle switch connected to the servo will then lift the fuse in and out of the fuse slot...disableing and ableing the vehicle.

The only part I'm not sure about is how to teach the servo the range of motion im after. The range of motion should be about 1 inch.

how do I set-up the servo so that it knows where to start(Fuse in slot) and stop (fuse out of slot)

I'm headed over to a hobby shop today to talk to them about it...hopefully I can get an idea about this.

justpassntime 07-21-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

I want the toggle switch connected to the servo will then lift the fuse in and out of the fuse slot...disableing and ableing the vehicle.
Why do this by mechanical means when all you have to do is disconnect it electrically? I mean it would be really cool to do that way but you won't see it happen anyway. Just seems like a huge hassle to do it mechanically.

A remote engine start kit would do the same thing just hook it to the ecu power wire instead of the ignition wire.

93hatchDX 07-21-2008 03:27 AM

The idea is that a competent car theif would be able to circumvent the remote engine start kit...by whatever means are known to him. My idea is meant to frustrate him enough that he gives up and walks away.

The idea behind remote kill is that it gives the thief no clue of why the car isn't starting since there is no visable clue.( ie; button, switch, etc)
A Kit is well known to the thief since he has experience before hand from the other kits he has bypassed. A kill switch mounted in the car can be found.

The servo is small enough to completely fit inside the fuse box located under the hood and I can also make a steel case to cover up the factory fuse box....the idea behind that is to make it more trouble for the thief than its worth...

I want everything to look bone stock, so when he is inside the vehicle looking at the wires in the steering column he is stumped and walks away to easier prey.

If I install a kit...he will notice it and bypass it to start my vehicle.

As far as hassle......this is ALOT less work than paying out of pocket to replace my stolen/striped/joy-ridden/totalled car.

Doofus McFancypants 07-21-2008 12:34 PM

I see how this would frustrate the purp. Kinda like the idea.

Could you use the servo ( or other device) to toggle a switch instead of the Fuse in and out? same concept - but less motion to worry about.

Could hide this in the same location.

tasdrouille 07-21-2008 01:00 PM

How about this?

garys_1k 07-21-2008 01:08 PM

If you can fit a mechanical servo in the fuse box you can fit a small 12 volt relay in there, too. The relay would be TONS simpler to implement and just as stealthy.

93hatchDX 07-21-2008 04:28 PM

Justpassntime,
I think I understand what you meant now about attaching the relay switch to a wire instead of a servo attached to a fuse.
Although...
I need to find out what simple wire under the hood I can attach the relay switch to, to disable the engine from running.

I called the local hobby shop and he said that the radio hand held controls what the servo does so I don't think my remote toggle switch will do the trick.

still working on it.

dcb 07-21-2008 05:43 PM

I would (and have) just disguise the kill switch if you are worried about it. Then the thief cannot snoop on your radio signal. You can have it even be a combination of things (radio on + dome light off + fan switch on medium + throttle at 3/4 + passenger seat buckled, car in neutral, brake on/off, left speaker mute, before the car is armed for starting) if you go off the deep end :)

And a relay (or solid state switch) is much more appropriate than a servo fuse.

Course this lovely dash mounted switch can probably handle the current for any critical circuit in your car (except the starter), maybe it goes with your cars interior? :rolleyes:

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/mai...peare-bust.jpg

93hatchDX 07-21-2008 05:57 PM

honestly i'm surprised alot more people don't do this to their vehicles..

I did find this product thats really interesting online..

called forced ignition << its on youtube.

Do you guys know of a wire under the hood in the engine compartment that I can splice this relay switch to ? I need to call my mechanic, I know he'll know for sure....wheres my phone.... :)

Thanks everyone for the help

getnpsi 07-21-2008 06:40 PM

if he loves your car that much he will tow it.

dcb 07-21-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93hatchDX (Post 46117)
Do you guys know of a wire under the hood in the engine compartment that I can splice this relay switch to ?

There are many, and any one of them is probably enough to slow down down your average thief enough to deter them. You have a computer that has a power (and ground) leads, you have many sensors/devices connected to the computer that might disable the car if interrupted, possibly camshaft position, crankshaft position come to mind, fuel injectors certainly, ignition power, starter interlock, fuel pump leads, airflow sensor might work. Maybe something to pressurize the brake system? Again, there are many many ways to temporarily disable a modern car.

93hatchDX 07-21-2008 11:21 PM

found it...I'm set.

found an exact tutorial here.....
Engine Bay Ignition Kill

huge thanks

millenniumtree 07-22-2008 12:34 AM

I love frustrating thieves.

Someone broke into my civic and tried to steal the stereo (cheap $99 unit). They broke a $200 window to get to it, but they couldn't get the stereo out, because _I_ installed it. I bolted a 1/2" steel strap to the back of the stereo, and wrapped it around a large structural member. They'd have to work a socket wrench for 15 minutes with their head under the dash to get that sucker out.

Still, it would have been cheaper to just leave the car door unlocked. :P

They did make off with a change purse with about 30 cents in it. I hope it bought them some crack.

MechEngVT 07-22-2008 11:01 AM

Any idea if a similar kill switch could be installed just to shut down your fuel injectors? I was thinking that it would primarily make EOCing in a stick shift vehicle much easier because you wouldn't have to operate the ignition switch all the time, just turn the fuel off and back on to enable clutch-starting. I just wonder if it can be done without tripping MILs...

wagonman76 07-22-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechEngVT (Post 46460)
Any idea if a similar kill switch could be installed just to shut down your fuel injectors? I was thinking that it would primarily make EOCing in a stick shift vehicle much easier because you wouldn't have to operate the ignition switch all the time, just turn the fuel off and back on to enable clutch-starting. I just wonder if it can be done without tripping MILs...

I was just thinking about that today. Like a momentary switch nearby that you could use to cut fuel without waiting for the ECM to do it. Maybe use the switch to send power to a relay. Normally closed would connect the ECM to the fuel injectors as normal. Normally open would bypass the fuel injectors and substitute the appropriate resistor to mimic the injectors so hopefully it thinks the injectors are connected and wont throw a code.

Something else I was thinking about was if the fuel was cut manually, if you opened the throttle it might suck air through the engine easier and get you farther down the road without fuel.

On topic of the kill switch, I think the best idea is the wackiest thing you can come up with. Anything off the shelf, the thief will be more familiar with than you will. Maybe even something like a hidden fuel pump cutoff, so it looks normal when they break into the ignition switch, but when they go to start the car it cranks but wont run, and after awhile they will probably just think its a piece of junk and move on.

Chiefdruid 07-22-2008 04:29 PM

I remember Dad telling me about a device that they used when he was in his 20s. Take a slo-blo fuse and wire it inline with your ignition wire. Basically, make a plunger that has connections thru the fuse when pushed in and thru a solid conductor when pulled out. When you park your car, push the plunger in. The thief will be able to start your car and get a 100 ft or do down the road, but when the fuse burns through, the car dies. The reasoning behind it was that if a thief stalls on the side of the road, he'll get panicked and abandon the car instead of stealing everything out of it. Also, being on the road, makes it easier to be spotted by law enforcement...

Just for giggles, I think it'd be fun to wire it so when the fuse burns, it kicks a relay to hold the power door lock solenoids in the lock position and/ or activate a stun gun wired in under the seat cover.. lol

Just a thought... ;)

wagonman76 07-22-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefdruid (Post 46568)
I remember Dad telling me about a device that they used when he was in his 20s. Take a slo-blo fuse and wire it inline with your ignition wire. Basically, make a plunger that has connections thru the fuse when pushed in and thru a solid conductor when pulled out. When you park your car, push the plunger in. The thief will be able to start your car and get a 100 ft or do down the road, but when the fuse burns through, the car dies. The reasoning behind it was that if a thief stalls on the side of the road, he'll get panicked and abandon the car instead of stealing everything out of it. Also, being on the road, makes it easier to be spotted by law enforcement...

Thats cool, I like it. Another thing is that instead of attempted theft, they can actually get in trouble for theft since they moved the car off premises. Downside is your car might get cremed by another car.

ajax_6531 07-29-2008 04:49 AM

put a regular switch (nothing fancy) in line with anything that will keep the car from starting. Hide it up under the dash where you can reach it without much squirming. When you shut the car off, flip the switch. When someone breaks in, they won't be looking for it, and the car still won't start. My belief is that if someone wants to steal your car bad enough, they will (tow truck, helicopter transport, star-trek transporter, etc.). Also, people don't want ugly cars :-) Thats why I keep the dent in my passenger door.

93hatchDX 07-29-2008 05:19 AM

yeah I'm putting this remote relay switch into the fuel line underneath the back seat i think.

Remote control 12v DC relay switch

that way there is no switch to find or hide. I think 1 of the best products I've seen honestly is a foot pedal lock...it locks the pedals in place. the club is obsolete for the steering wheel because all they have to do is cut through the steering wheel and remove the club....not so with the brake pedal lock.

just my 2 cents.

lunarhighway 07-29-2008 06:06 AM

a friend of mind had his car stolen, police tolled him there was little hopes of finding it again. yet a few days later he found it a few blocks away full, probably stolen by some kids to joyride... so he set up a simple toggle switch hidden behind a rag in his glove compartment.

a few days later supposedly the same kids tried again, but they left after they had drained the battery trying to start it...

problem is nothing keeps frustrated thieves frow wrecking your car.

another thing you might do is leave the glove compartment open to show there's nothing valuable inside (preferably leave it empty when you do)... saves thieves the trouble of brakeing a window

Impulse 07-29-2008 11:56 AM

The most popular and cost effective way that I do for our customers is with a 12v spdt realy break open a starter wire and use a factory device (ie rear defrost button, push in cigarette lighter, install hidden switch etc) to imobilize the vehicle when it is not running. Now the key to doing this effectively, is to hide the relay out of sight under the dash, and making all your wire connections look stock, looming and running your wires with the factory wires. Now the reason for using a relay is because you dont want to use a switch directly to break open wires, (most of them melt, burn and short out) and a relay can handle 30/40 amps of current depending on what you get. If you or anyone has question on how to wire anything 12v to yuor vehicle, just pm me or let me know on here, as I am a certified MECP installer, and have been doing this for over 4 years :D

ChampagneSW2 07-31-2008 03:46 PM

yes, I wired a kill switch using my a/c button on my sw2. Since my ac doesn't work I figured out which pins were the switch and then just wired my injector power line through a relay, then powered the relay with the switch. Perfect stock look and easily accessible for great EOC. Definitely use a relay though.