EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hey there, new and looking for tips. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hey-there-new-looking-tips-30443.html)

doless 11-08-2014 12:59 AM

Hey there, new and looking for tips.

Hey there, not new to driving a manual or getting good mpg, but lately it's become an obsession.

About me-broke-22 years old-college student. About 50/50 to 70/30 highway/city driving on a weekly basis.

I own a 2004 civic lx 1.7l 5 speed, 85k miles, runs and drives great.

I don't own a scan gauge but i've been tracking my mileage based on each fill up/previous odometer reading at the pump and i get anywhere from 38-41.8 mpg so far.

I occasionally hit rush hour traffic but i'm super particular about driving 60-65 on the highway, going the speed limit, shifting at low rpms (2,000rpm, not sure if that's too low...), accelerating slowly, turning the car off down long hills and bump starting it, and such.

I do notice it pulls to the right at highway speeds with a slight wobble in the steering wheel so it could need an alignment, also clinks occasionally on front right at low speeds (could be the strut), but other than that what would be the reason i'm not able to see numbers in the 45mpg range? That's my goal. The few times i got 38-39 mpg i had to speed a few times 70-78mph to get to class on time, but trying as hard as i can to hyper mile while getting caught in stop and go traffic maybe 2-3 times and only getting 41.ish seems like i could do better.

Any tips on shift points, what rpms my injectors cut out, just tips in general?

thanks

nemo 11-08-2014 02:59 AM

Welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by doless (Post 454120)
I don't own a scan gauge but i've been tracking my mileage based on each fill up/previous odometer reading at the pump and i get anywhere from 38-41.8 mpg so far.

The quickest way to improve mileage is "adjusting the nut behind the wheel" (AKA driving style) and instant feed back makes it happen quicker. Get some sort of instantaneous MPG gauge when you can afford it.

Quote:

I occasionally hit rush hour traffic but i'm super particular about driving 60-65 on the highway, going the speed limit, shifting at low rpms (2,000rpm, not sure if that's too low...), accelerating slowly, turning the car off down long hills and bump starting it, and such.

Not too slow on the acceleration moderate to quick is what you want. But do keep the RPM down 2K is a good starting point.

Quote:

I do notice it pulls to the right at highway speeds with a slight wobble in the steering wheel so it could need an alignment, also clinks occasionally on front right at low speeds (could be the strut), but other than that what would be the reason i'm not able to see numbers in the 45mpg range? That's my goal.

The pulling and vibration may be a bad tire or balance problem try moving it to the rear to see if the situation improves. If it clink on bumps may indeed be a strut but could be many things. Best not to let mechanical problems go unchecked they have a way of getting expensive fast and doesn't help FE. Are you mechanically inclined or a DIY mechanic?

bikin' Ed 11-08-2014 08:29 AM

also check

You should probably check out the RF caliper too. If it's hanging up it could cause vibration, pull to the right, poor FE, and even a clicking sound.

UltArc 11-08-2014 09:20 AM

2k rpm? That's race speed! If I am going for FE, I shift at 1250. But depends on your low end torque, traffic, and gearing, too.

Instant feedback is amazing. I do suggest the SGii FIRST, and as your primary- but if money is an issue, the UG is the best for SOLELY monitoring. You can search for the thread here, and see a big discussion on comparing the two.

A KS is safer, and will preserve your miles. When you key flip, you lose all the miles while your engine is winding down (plus the safety issue).

Review the tips above, even if you already have, the better you get, the more you'll say "you know, I could probably try that..."

Daox 11-08-2014 09:24 AM

Welcome to the site doless. Have you seen our 100+ hypermiling tips?

doless 11-08-2014 10:07 AM

Appreciate it, tires are newer, so i'm suspecting an alignment (because michigan roads) or the front right brakes. While i am mechanically inclined it's getting cold outside and my mechanic is dirt cheap as well as a family friend so i'll be seeing him today to get the suspension and brakes looked at (no point getting an alignment then finding out you need other parts and needing another one).

I think i'll probably get a scan gauge on ebay, they seem to be going preowned for under 100 which is reasonable to me (even though i see it as another 3 tanks of gas hah).

doless 11-08-2014 11:42 AM

Scangauge 2 with Xgauge OBD Scanner | eBay

doless 11-08-2014 11:42 AM

Scangauge 2 | eBay

doless 11-08-2014 11:43 AM

Looking at buying either one of these, this is the correct model right?

MetroMPG 11-09-2014 09:41 PM

Yup, correct.

You can also use the gauge to fine-tune your driving, then sell it later. But it's really worth the money - first time you have to read / reset a check-engine light, you'll be glad you have it.

Also: what mods have you done / do you have planned? With the majority of your driving being highway, there are a number of cheap (or free) and easy aero mods you can do, eg. a partial grille block.

Welcome to the forum!