EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   HHO based "Plug in Hybird" for all vehichles (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hho-based-plug-hybird-all-vehichles-26777.html)

lselse3 08-24-2013 05:15 PM

HHO based "Plug in Hybird" for all vehichles

Iv seen many people attempt to use HHO systems, however there is a massive flaw in the vast majority of the designs iv seen. It takes about 2X the energy to split water as you can gain from burning it, and this creates a loop of inefficiency when people are using their alternator to charge the car battery and make HHO. Iv found that by simply installing a couple large batteries in the back (next to the water tank for HHO and the cell), one may turn their car into a plugin hyrbid. The "plug in" coming from charging the batteries with a wall charger each night. This system is much cheaper and simpler to build and install than a Hybrid electric modification, and it easy to remove, should the need arise. Also, it would not be hard to build a small "hybrid braking" system, that would be actuated to only spin the generator while stopping. This would reduce the need to plug the system into the wall.

I feel as though HHO has much potential, particularly in Diesel, where the HHO would act as a catalyst for the diesel, allowing it to burn more completely. It would also aid in off the line accelerative efficiency because it is Pre mixed fuel(2 hydrogen needs 1 Oxygen) that would aid in turbo spool. Also HHO tends to have a much faster burn rate than petroleum products

I know there is a lot of stuff in here, again Im just looking for discussion and opinions on the idea. If anyone has ideas for improving the system, Id love to here them! I currently am planing on designing and installing a system with just the batteries (no hybrid braking) for my 6.4 f250 diesel.

Daox 08-24-2013 05:23 PM

An interesting idea that probably does have some merit.

However, I do see two issues:

1) Directly using that battery power via an electric motor would be much more efficient.

2) For a 6.4L engine you'd really have to make some large amounts of hho to do anything.

Frank Lee 08-24-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

I know there is a lot of stuff in here, again Im just looking for discussion and opinions on the idea.
Search here for HHO then because there's a lot of discussion on it.

RedDevil 08-24-2013 06:30 PM

The amount of HHO produced by charging lead acid batteries is minimal. And it need be; otherwise the batteries would lose their water way too quickly to maintain them.
The generation is not free. It essentially wastes electricity, just like it would if you deliberately generate HHO.

As a gas HHO is over a thousand times less dense than water. You'd need a big balloon to store just enough HHO to have a noticable effect on fuel consumption for even a short period. You need to make sure it cannot escape to any source of heat or sparking; it is violently explosive. My highschool chemistry teacher ignited about 2 liter of HHO foam in a plastic tub. We were impressed. So were about 10 other teachers from the neighbouring classrooms, who came in to investigate. We were lucky not to have broken any windows...

oil pan 4 08-28-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lselse3 (Post 386992)
Iv found that by simply installing a couple large batteries in the back (next to the water tank for HHO and the cell), one may turn their car into a plugin hyrbid. The "plug in" coming from charging the batteries with a wall charger each night. This system is much cheaper and simpler to build and install than a Hybrid electric modification, and it easy to remove, should the need arise.

Why not do an alternator delete with all that extra battery capacity?
Alternator deletes have proven to give around a 10% boost in fuel economy, where HHO seems to provide no boost in fuel economy.
If you are going to make the effort you might as well do some thing that will give you something in return.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 386993)
:

1) Directly using that battery power via an electric motor would be much more efficient.

Yes, by far.