Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2000 Insight, 97 Civic hatchback, and 2002 Accord

Hello all! I've been lurking around here for quite a while and thought I would introduce myself and some of my accomplishments!

History of the cars:

Insight - Drove from Oklahoma to Dothan, Alabama to pick up this car 6 months ago. 55k miles on it at the time and in pretty nice shape for $6700

Civic - Bought this car for $300. Put $250 into fixing the front end damage caused by a deer during the previous owners commute to work. 173k miles on it, 5-speed CX model. Runs like a champ! Put vx wheels on it with 155/80/13 tires on them. Front air dam, fender skirts on the back.

Accord - Graduation present / hand-me-down from my mom for graduating college. 165k miles on it now. Driven it to California and Alabama this year with no problems.

Right now I commute 80 miles round trip everyday. 25 of those miles are city and the rest are highway.

Best results:

2000 Insight 5-speed: Best single day round trip: 91.6 mpg
Best tank average: 82.4 mpg

1997 Honda Civic 5-speed: Best single day round trip: 53.2 mpg (SGII)
Best tank average: 45.5 mpg (Calculated)

2002 Honda Accord 4cyl auto: Best single day round trip: 36.4 mpg (SGII)
Best tank average: 39.6 mpg (Calculated)

I'm always refining my skills and doing better on my commute. Only negative effect of hypermiling I've found so far is that my girlfriend doesn't like to ride in the Insight too much because I can't bring myself to drive inefficiently in it! Haha. The other cars I don't care about as much so I can drive the speed limit and not feel bad

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Crown Vic - '99 Ford Crown Victoria Base (P74)
90 day: 24.1 mpg (US)

Turtle - '98 Subaru Outback Sport
90 day: 30.53 mpg (US)
Great numbers!
'05 Outback 3.0R (wife's)
Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Nice little stable of cars. Welcome to EM. You must have considered selling or another, maybe the Civic and/or the Accord? A sixth gen Civic CX is a pretty neat find, though. You have the taller HX gearing without the expenses associated with the now old HX oxygen sensors. The CX will have cheaper to replace sensors.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jed View Post
Great numbers!
Thanks! With an hour-ish drive each way to work, I have a lot of time to practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Nice little stable of cars. Welcome to EM. You must have considered selling or another, maybe the Civic and/or the Accord? A sixth gen Civic CX is a pretty neat find, though. You have the taller HX gearing without the expenses associated with the now old HX oxygen sensors. The CX will have cheaper to replace sensors.
I'm going to keep the accord for now for a couple of reasons:

1. Girlfriend doesn't know how to drive a 5-speed yet, and
2. She doesn't feel safe in the civic! Mostly because of the previously used passenger airbag not being replaced.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
Wow, getting 39 MPG in an '02 Accord auto is pretty impressive! And getting 82 MPG in the Insight in Oklahoma is also pretty impressive. I don't see many 1st gen Insights, the only one that I've seen is when I went through Dallas.

Which part of Oklahoma do you live in? Here in the city it is a little tough to get high mileage because of all the traffic and people tailgating you if you go below the speed limit (I still do though).

Anyways, welcome to EM!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Welcome! Nice numbers

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcook View Post
Wow, getting 39 MPG in an '02 Accord auto is pretty impressive! And getting 82 MPG in the Insight in Oklahoma is also pretty impressive. I don't see many 1st gen Insights, the only one that I've seen is when I went through Dallas.

Which part of Oklahoma do you live in? Here in the city it is a little tough to get high mileage because of all the traffic and people tailgating you if you go below the speed limit (I still do though).

Anyways, welcome to EM!
I live in Edmond and commute to Kingfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Welcome! Nice numbers
Thanks! I guess there is still plenty of mpg left in the insight since I discovered that I don't have the front underbody panels :\
Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also, I just discovered P &G. It will only help for about 6 miles per round trip commute, but I can certainly use it for running errands around town.

Reply  Post New Thread