EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi from California 2005 Mustang (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-california-2005-mustang-28574.html)

sniper2460 03-29-2014 12:11 AM

Hi from California 2005 Mustang

Hi all I am from the Bay Area in California, attending Humboldt State way up north, terrible drive heading north on the 101 with all of the hills I might add. I drive a 2005 Mustang with the v6 and an automatic. I drive pretty conservative achieving above EPA numbers. It would be nice to make some mods, mostly bolt-on or easily removable since I plan to sell it once I garaduate. Currently all I have is the Torque app on my phone whenever I'm not driving around town. Not even worth using it because of all the stop signs almost every block.

tvbd56 03-29-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper2460 (Post 417644)
Hi all I am from the Bay Area in California, attending Humboldt State way up north, terrible drive heading north on the 101 with all of the hills I might add. I drive a 2005 Mustang with the v6 and an automatic. I drive pretty conservative achieving above EPA numbers. It would be nice to make some mods, mostly bolt-on or easily removable since I plan to sell it once I garaduate. Currently all I have is the Torque app on my phone whenever I'm not driving around town. Not even worth using it because of all the stop signs almost every block.

first thing you can do is air up the tires to the max sidewall pressure, take off the rear wing spoiler (it's a mustang, I'm guessing it has one), coast up to the stop signs, buy a scanguage or ultragauge, and let off the gas! :p

Where in the bay area are you from? I was raised in Livermore.

UltArc 03-29-2014 10:39 AM

Also, study this individual: Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - View Profile: Mustang Dave

I do support the SCii, but the UG is probably a better choice for monitoring if you don't plan on as many modifications.

When you finish 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com, start thinking about 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com :thumbup:

sniper2460 03-29-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbd56 (Post 417667)
first thing you can do is air up the tires to the max sidewall pressure, take off the rear wing spoiler (it's a mustang, I'm guessing it has one), coast up to the stop signs, buy a scanguage or ultragauge, and let off the gas! :p

Where in the bay area are you from? I was raised in Livermore.

I live in San Ramon so not too far from Livermore. Even closer when they opened a new road with a new housing development at the end of Camino Tasajara. It's a straight shot to Livermore now.

Mustang Dave 03-30-2014 12:18 AM

Welcome aboard, sniper2460! The only difference between your pony and mine is the transmission.

I must have a really efficient commute, since the worst tank I've gotten since I bought the car was 24.98 MPG - and I had to do a few things wrong to get that.

The one mod to my pony that may have made a difference in fuel economy is the Hypertech Max Energy power programmer. I haven't de-programmed it long enough to do a proper A-B-A test. I just like the extra power and driveability. With your automatic, you could reprogram your shift points and shift firmness for better economy with the Hypertech power programmer.

In my experience, tire pressure doesn't make as big a difference in MPG as "adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel". If you can limit your speed on the freeway to 65, it can make a big difference in MPG. My primary hypermiling technique is DWB - driving without brakes. You can downshift your auto to save wear on your brakes AND save fuel by utilizing DFCO - deceleration fuel cut off. Brakes convert fuel to heat and brake dust.

Don't bother with pizza pan wheel covers on your Mustang. They make NO noticeable difference in MPG, and chicks don't dig 'em (personal experience).

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have, and good luck.

jeff88 03-30-2014 10:09 PM

I think an Ultragauge is going to benefit you quite a bit. Plus if you sell the car, you can just put the UG in the new car. (You can sell it to me by the way. :D)

I don't think removing the spoiler/wing is going to be of much benefit for you, there are some graphics on the site somewhere around here that show a spoiler is actually beneficial in helping with the boat tail "effect" without building an actual boat tail.

What I think is going to help you most in terms of physical mods is an air dam, belly pan and rear diffuser. The best thing about these three mods is they are mostly unseen or they add to the racing "feel" of a mustang. They are also completely reversible.

Welcome to the board!

mcrews 03-31-2014 09:36 AM

air dam OR belly pan.
Doing both is redundant.