Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EcoVibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 38.14 mpg (US)
new EcoVibe says hello

Hello all. I've been lurking on this sites for months now (just joined 3 weeks ago) and figured it was time to say hello.

I did a lot of research before buying a smaller car. It was a hard decision for me to make because I haven't been driving fuel eff. vehicles for years. My other cars are a 2001 Durango (13-15 mpg), and a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 (425hp, 0-60 in under 5 seconds ... about 18-20mpg HWY).

Although the 300 SRT8 is an amazing car that is a blast to take to the drag strip, it just wasn't cutting with gas at $4 a gallon. It was time to suck it up and go for something that could get better gas mileage.

So, I found a 2007 Pontiac Vibe base model with 7,062 miles for only $11,800!!! It was a great price since most around me are going for $15-$16 for an '07 with over 20-30K miles on them. I had to drive 3 hours to get it, but it was worth it. I thought I'd hate driving it compared to my 300, but it turns out I LOVE THIS CAR. It's fun to drive, holds a lot, and is perfect for what I need.

Here is a picture of what it looked like when I got it 3 weeks ago:

Here are some pics of what it looks like now:

I hope to learn a lot more from you guys here. Any tips on other things I should mod for improved MPG, or any other mods in general are appreciated (although I want to keep a stock look, and I don't want to cover up my rims).

I will put up a post with some pics of the aluminum grill block and under belly I made.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Check out some of the other matrix/vibe folks, lots of good numbers are being posted. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. The Vibe is a great vehicle for utility and good mileage. Even without modifications it is capable of getting well into the 40s, and with mods I think 50 is quite possible. I see your off to a good start with the mods already too. Check out my Matrix build thread for some other ideas (although I haven't gotten real far myself).
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Vue - '03 Saturn Vue
90 day: 25.34 mpg (US)
nice car, anything else you changed besides the rims/tires, and antenna?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site. The Vibe is a great vehicle for utility and good mileage. Even without modifications it is capable of getting well into the 40s, and with mods I think 50 is quite possible. I see your off to a good start with the mods already too. Check out my Matrix build thread for some other ideas (although I haven't gotten real far myself).
I've actually read a bunch of your threads or have seen you in other ones over the past couple weeks looking for ideas.

I was wondering if 50 is possible or not. My goal is to get into the 45-50 range, but my limitation is I want it to remain stock looking onthe exterior as much as possible (meaning no boat tail for me ... lol).
Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourigjm View Post
nice car, anything else you changed besides the rims/tires, and antenna?
Here is everything I have done to the car so far:

Current MODSScanGauge II
Modded myself ... I now use Hypermiler driving techniques
Permanent aluminum upper grill block
Partial front belly pan
Added CC
15% Window Tint
New wheels
Added new head unit, Polk speakers, Infinity subwoofer (low amperage 10" sub)
Removed antenna
Added console power outlet
Tire pressure to 44 psi
Direct wired radar dedector

I just started to keep a mileage log so we'll see if I am improving or not. I have a ScanGauge II as well, which helps a lot I think. Most of my miles will be highway trips (probably 80% on some tanks... on major highways a lot where the speed limit is 70mph ... people hate me now for driving so slow).

I made another thread to show my grill block and belly pan:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-pan-4492.html
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
50 is definitly possible. Trikkoncepts has almost hit it (a 49.X mpg tank), and he is driving an automatic (although he does have few visual mods).

BTW, there is a Vibe/Matrix social group if you care to join/lurk.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/groups/vibe-matrix.html
Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
50 is definitly possible. Trikkoncepts has almost hit it (a 49.X mpg tank), and he is driving an automatic (although he does have few visual mods).

BTW, there is a Vibe/Matrix social group if you care to join/lurk.

Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - Vibe/Matrix
Yeah I was checking out Trik's ride too. I didn't realize he's almost at 50... wow. I will join that group ... cool
Old 08-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Markmysite -

Welcome to EM! I am a BIG Vibe fan. A thrifty/practical mini-wagon whose original design was "cool" to me from the day I saw it (in a parking lot in downtown LA, *before* it was announced to the public). Except for the color, you have the exact model I would have ordered if I had gotten a Vibe. I would have ordered white + unpainted lower panels, but you have my wife's favorite color scheme.

I'll bet you've already seen trikkonceptz' Vibe.

The belly pan is cool. From the pictures in your garage, I thought it was a heavy "fabric" until I read the thread.

In terms of tips, I would read about members with Vibes and Toyota Corollas, because you share the same drivetrain. I would also spend time on "genvibe.com" for specific stuff regarding your Vibe.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Markmysite -

Welcome to EM! I am a BIG Vibe fan. A thrifty/practical mini-wagon whose original design was "cool" to me from the day I saw it (in a parking lot in downtown LA, *before* it was announced to the public). Except for the color, you have the exact model I would have ordered if I had gotten a Vibe. I would have ordered white + unpainted lower panels, but you have my wife's favorite color scheme.

I'll bet you've already seen trikkonceptz' Vibe.

The belly pan is cool. From the pictures in your garage, I thought it was a heavy "fabric" until I read the thread.

In terms of tips, I would read about members with Vibes and Toyota Corollas, because you share the same drivetrain. I would also spend time on "genvibe.com" for specific stuff regarding your Vibe.

CarloSW2
Thx, I'm a member at GenVibe too. I've learned a ton about the car there to do my other electrical mods, etc. I've checked out a few different MPG forums and I like this one alot.

Reply  Post New Thread