Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lone Ranger - '05 Ford Ranger FX4
Hello! Ford Ranger owner.

I'm going to see how much I can improve the economy of my 2005 Ranger. No mods yet and I'm thinking about getting a scanguage so I can establish a good baseline. I've been reading threads all day and I'm anxious to get started!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspswatter View Post
I'm going to see how much I can improve the economy of my 2005 Ranger. No mods yet and I'm thinking about getting a scanguage so I can establish a good baseline. I've been reading threads all day and I'm anxious to get started!
Welcome to ecomodder !

The first step is to start recording your fuel use, if you aren't already doing so.

The major improvement is in how you drive, so read through the
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com
and start applying those you see fit.
The main tips are to
- drive slower, your average might be just as high despite the lower cruise speed ;
- keep it rolling as much as possible;
- not waste energy accelerating to a stop further down the road;
- reduce your idling time.

Avoid manoeuvring with a cold engine, park so that you can drive straightaway .

As for mods, check out the 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com
You may object to some of them, but the most common ones are increased tyre pressure, a blocked front grille, an air dam, and getting rid of stuff you don't need to haul around all the time.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Welcome to ecomoder!
I know the Ranger generally has the best EPA mpg ratings of all the small pickups - so your truck definitely has potential for good mpg.

As you've seen from reading around - there are so many ways to improve your FE. You just pick the things you can do right away, you start there and take it as far as you want.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

euromodder, Thanks! I've been practicing some hypermiling for a while now, and I'm definately going to read up on how I can improve.
brucepick, I'm planning to start with the easiest/cheapest mods and go from there. Who knows where I'll end up!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Even tho it's a little truck it's still a truck, depending on the model you have some of them are good for nearly 1,500 pounds of people and cargo, so the first thing you should ask your self is if you need a truck like that? I've used my parents Ford Ranger for hauling and towing, including towing a trailer with my Commuti-car in it, sticking at 55mph I was able to average 25mpg, with the truck empty I can average around 30mpg going 60mph but I only drive it empty if it's going to be full on the return trip of course and because it's a truck I see no reason to drive over 60mph, most of the time 50mph or slower will get the job done and return the best mileage.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
With all due respect - which is a considerable amount -

Waspswatter is pretty new here. I'm assuming he either needs a truck, or is stuck with it having already bought it.

I think that for most of us here, changing to a different vehicle is not the first step, or even the third. I see it as one of the more expensive "mods".

Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sorry, my point was that with slow driving you can get ok mileage with it, even while towing another vehicle behind it you can get 25 mpg, but that a lot of people look at small trucks as being wimpy, near car like, so they drive them as if they are a car.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
With all due respect - which is a considerable amount -

Waspswatter is pretty new here. I'm assuming he either needs a truck, or is stuck with it having already bought it.

I think that for most of us here, changing to a different vehicle is not the first step, or even the third. I see it as one of the more expensive "mods".
Yeah, I'm stuck with it for now. I don't need a truck everyday, (except maybe for 4 wheel drive in winter ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Sorry, my point was that with slow driving you can get ok mileage with it, even while towing another vehicle behind it you can get 25 mpg, but that a lot of people look at small trucks as being wimpy, near car like, so they drive them as if they are a car.
It's all good. I know a truck isn't the best for high MPG, but I think it will be fun to see just how much I can squeeze out of it!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The big mileage killer on trucks is the under body is not smooth at all and from standing under a Ford Ranger last week that was being turned in to a plug in hybrid, the underside can be cleaned up a great deal, improving the aerodynamics a great deal.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The big mileage killer on trucks is the under body is not smooth at all and from standing under a Ford Ranger last week that was being turned in to a plug in hybrid, the underside can be cleaned up a great deal, improving the aerodynamics a great deal.
How would you clean up the undercarraige? I have some ideas, but what would you recommend? Some of that junk under there hangs pretty low. It'd be hard to make a fiberglass bellypan or something like that.

Reply  Post New Thread