EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi Guys! Merc 240D project car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-guys-merc-240d-project-car-26865.html)

majorrich 09-05-2013 09:01 PM

Hi Guys! Merc 240D project car

Hi guys!

Stumbled on to your site and became intrigued. Today I purchased a semi-derelict 1978 Mercedes 240D. It's been sitting for several years and is going to need some TLC to put on the road. It starts and runs pretty good and the automatic shifts good. Bad brakes. either bad booster or vacuum pump. and a fuel leak. Worst.. NO A/C. lol. I've never had a diesel before so this is going to be quite an adventure. Very interested by 'dieseleverything' who has a very similar vehicle to mine. :)

UltArc 09-05-2013 09:10 PM

Welcome, fellow Ohioan!

elhigh 09-06-2013 02:23 PM

Man, once you get 'er running, you're stuck with it. Those old MB diesels can be tough to kill.

UFO 09-06-2013 02:24 PM

I love those old diesels. How many miles? I had an automatic in my 1983 240D with 260k, I installed a 5 cylinder turbo diesel in it and broke that poor old tranny.

I still have the car, but it's sitting now, waiting on my daughter to be old enough to drive.

mikeyjd 09-06-2013 02:30 PM

Welcome. There is a plethora of valuable diesel economy related information on this sight.

majorrich 09-06-2013 03:45 PM

Getting ready to go pick it up. Got the title and ready to learn. It has 138k on it and most everything works, kinda sorta. It leaks fuel, but the PO says it's a rubber hose that slips on the injector ala VW Beetle fuel line. Apparently they go bad occasionally. I'll be looking for a more permanent solution to that problem. Of course having sat for so long, it takes a mighty leg press to stop it. Personally I am excited to learn a whole different technology. Then if the Zombies attack, they can't steal my distributor cap! :D

Xist 09-06-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorrich (Post 389152)
Getting ready to go pick it up. Got the title and ready to learn. It has 138k on it and most everything works, kinda sorta. It leaks fuel, but the PO says it's a rubber hose that slips on the injector ala VW Beetle fuel line. Apparently they go bad occasionally. I'll be looking for a more permanent solution to that problem. Of course having sat for so long, it takes a mighty leg press to stop it. Personally I am excited to learn a whole different technology. Then if the Zombies attack, they can't steal my distributor cap! :D

Yes, the first objective of Zombie Armageddon will be stealing all distributor caps. It is known.

I hope that you are able to come up with a good solution for the fuel lines!

UFO 09-06-2013 05:12 PM

Don't forget those old diesels will survive EMP pulses as well as zombies, and you can run one on any old oil you can find. Best preparation for the apocalypse evar.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-06-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorrich (Post 389152)
It leaks fuel, but the PO says it's a rubber hose that slips on the injector ala VW Beetle fuel line. Apparently they go bad occasionally. I'll be looking for a more permanent solution to that problem.

I'd recommend you to replace that rubber hose for some different material better rated to handle biodiesel and veg oil.

Xist 09-06-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 389174)
Don't forget those old diesels will survive EMP pulses as well as zombies, and you can run one on any old oil you can find. Best preparation for the apocalypse evar.

The question is: How does one create biodiesel from zombies?

elhigh 09-07-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 389226)
The question is: How does one create biodiesel from zombies?

Take the chunky ones and cook 'em down. Filter out the chunky bits, skim the oil off the top and add a little methanol, Bob's your undead uncle. Brains are high in fat, so go for chest wounds and cut the heads off, don't blast 'em.