EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi! (I have no idea what I'm doing!) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-4814.html)

bitrunner 08-28-2008 09:31 PM

Hi! (I have no idea what I'm doing!)

Hello there!

I forgot how I found this site but it's pretty cool and I'm very interested in making my car suck down less gas! :D

I drive a 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, and I always have the top down, it's awesome. I don't know too much about cars though, but I would like to learn, and I'm especially interested in cutting down on the cost of gas. Currently it costs me around $60 to fill up the tank, and I do that about every 10 days.

I know the first thing I need to do is get some kind of gauge to measure the mpg, but what other options do I have for a classic muscle car? I think the engine (Rocket 350) probably needs some tuning, but I don't know where to start! :confused:

Oh, and driving with the top up and the windows rolled up isn't really an option unless it's raining. :D

So, that's why I joined this site!

cfg83 08-29-2008 03:26 AM

bitrunner -

Welcome to EM! I saw the Cutlass in your garage and it's stunning. I tried to look it up on the EPA MPG website, but it only goes to 1985, :( .

I think you will be in the market for a Vacuum Gauge. Johhny Mullet has a thread devoted to that.

CarloSW2

azraelswrd 08-29-2008 04:50 AM

Howdy!

The first thing I would do is to check out the 100+ tips as the driver is the easiest thing to adjust, plus it can bring about the largest gains in terms of MPG regardless of what you're driving.

Remember that aerodynamics becomes a major factor at higher speeds (more drag) so top down would be "ok" at slower speeds (city driving) and open window drag depends on car design. I can go up to 50mph before I roll my windows up due to noise/drag.

My sig covers the basic areas one can address to milk the MPGs.

As for feedback, vac gauge may be your only recourse beyond the basic speedometer and tachometer.

bikin' Ed 08-29-2008 07:26 AM

Welcome. My dad used to have an analog aftermarket mpg gauge on his 1965 Buick Electra so I have to believe that there is something out there. Aerodynamic wise you might look into a tonneau cover for the back seat or even back and half of the front. You could build a fiberglass cover for over the rear seats and put intapers directly behind the driver and passenger heads. Partial grille block could also be of help. An electric cooling fan would probably yield positive results too.

Johnny Mullet 08-29-2008 10:19 PM

That is a sweet ride! Welcome to ecomodder.

zx3zetec 08-30-2008 12:13 PM

Awesome ride!
It would be a shame to "mod" such a nice classic.
Any weight you could shed and keep it mostly original?
Remove big spare tire/jack? Lightweight battery?
Install an electric fan instead of the belt-driven one?
Otherwise, just keep the foot off the gas. :)