EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi, I'm a Newbie (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-im-newbie-20080.html)

ProfH 01-13-2012 09:19 AM

Hi, I'm a Newbie

Just saw this Forum when I was browsing one day. Liked what I saw, so I joined.:)
I have a '97 Buick Park Ave, and can get up to 35mpg if I keep my speed between 60-68 on the hwy.
I think that is pretty good for my big boat! Some smaller, less luxurious cars get less mileage than that, so I'm happy.
Hope I can find information to even better the mpg.
Have a nice day,
Prof H :D

Daox 01-13-2012 10:08 AM

Welcome to the site. With a bit of practice I'm sure you can even beat that 35 mpg. Check out the 100+ hypermiling tips at the top of the page as well as the 65+ mods list for ideas.

euromodder 01-13-2012 12:42 PM

Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfH (Post 279547)
I have a '97 Buick Park Ave, and can get up to 35mpg if I keep my speed between 60-68 on the hwy.

If you stick to 62mph, it'll likely get even better - if the transmission stays in its top gear / overdrive.
Except on long trips, you'll hardly notice it on the time spent to get somewhere.

Quote:

I think that is pretty good for my big boat! Some smaller, less luxurious cars get less mileage than that, so I'm happy.
It's not bad considering what your driving.
The US national average is in the low 20s , and that's for new cars !

Quote:

Hope I can find information to even better the mpg.
Another easy way is to increase the tyre pressure.
You can do it gradually, or go straight to the maximum on the tyre's sidewall (most folks here are running the max. pressure listed on their tyres' sidewall, some run a lot more pressure) .
The ride will feel hard(er), but it shouldn't feel bouncy - back off a bit if it's bouncy.

Blocking the upper grille - partially or completely - is another popular mod.
But in Florida, be sure to keep an eye on engine coolant temperature if you do.

Diesel_Dave 01-13-2012 05:18 PM

Welcome! I had a '95 Buick Park Avenue in my pre-ecomodder days. I used to get over 30 mpg on the highway too. That's a pretty good engine they put in those cars. The exception to that is the intake manifold gaskets that always seem to go out at about 100K miles (had to replace that on my old car). You don't have the supercharger version do you?

BTW, I looked up your official EPA numbers, here they are: City=17, Highway=26, Combined=20. So you're already doing quite a bit better than that.

harrkw01 01-25-2012 11:20 PM

Newbie here too! That is good gas mileage for what your driving for sure.

Frank Lee 01-25-2012 11:30 PM

Astonishing- a gas log is a useful tool.

ProfH 09-06-2012 11:28 AM

Thank you for all of your welcome tips. I'll be checking out those hypermiling tips.
As far as tire pressure, I usually run 45 in the front and 40 in the back. I like a softer ride. Guess I'll have to give up a few MPG for it.
:)