EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi from a lupo 3L owner (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-lupo-3l-owner-22388.html)

finalkev1 06-26-2012 01:32 PM

Hi from a lupo 3L owner

Hello,

I'm Kévin, from France. I know ecomodder since 2 years, and 3 months ago i bough a vw lupo 3L.
My best score (the last tank) was 3.12 L per 100 km (75 MPG) and my average is 3.4 L per 100 km (69 MPG).

I drive on every kind of roads, city, highway, small roads of campaigns.

I use ecodriving technics since i've got my driving license, because my father is a bus driver, and in France, bus drivers received ecodriving lessons, so he teach me them.

If you would like to have any information about the car, ask me.

Bonne route

Kévin

Piwoslaw 06-26-2012 03:22 PM

Hello Kévin, welcome to EM:)

You are off to a very good start, I wonder how much lower you can get your average:thumbup:

Have you seen the hypermiling tips? I wonder if you and/or your father have some tips which aren't there yet?

finalkev1 07-02-2012 03:27 PM

Hi!

I saw the hypermiling technics, i naturally use some of them, thanks. The best hypermiling tips i saw was the corridor effect, the fuel consumption went from 3.3L to 3.1L at 110 km/h speed (69 mph).

Another very good hypermiling tips was one that Vekka "lupo 2L" gave me. He said to accelerate before a hill, when the road is plane, and then to slowly decrease speed on the hill. Accelerate before the hill was something i never do, i already slowly release the accelerate on the hill, but the acceleration before is a very good way to reduce consumption.

And the last tips which is very relaxing is to brake a lot when you saw a red light, to never stop.

My father told me something about the "turbo" effect on a hill. When you have to maintain your speed on a hill, just release a bit the accelerator, and you will feel the turbo better and the consumtpion will decrease a bit. Do you know something about?

Kévin

finalkev1 07-02-2012 04:04 PM

But i'm a bit surprising by one thing. The lupo 3l is made to do 3L per 100 km, and it's very difficult to do it.

My last car (Citroen ZX 1.9d) was done to about 6.5L per 100 km, and i did 4.8L to 5.2L, so i did 20 to 25 % less than the EPA, i can't do it with the lupo 3L, do you know why?

California98Civic 07-02-2012 09:38 PM

Sorry the car is not giving the performance you wanted. Let's have some more details about your car, though? Is it manual or automatic? You are keeping tire pressure up and not lugging around 100+ pounds of extra weight? Running the air conditioner heavily in the French summer? Any brakes dragging? How fast do you drive at cruising speeds on the highway. Also, maybe set up a fuel log on this site. It helps you and helps users here to advise, sometimes.

Piwoslaw 07-03-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finalkev1 (Post 314895)
But i'm a bit surprising by one thing. The lupo 3l is made to do 3L per 100 km, and it's very difficult to do it.

That's because the Lupo (or any other car in last umpteen years) wasn't made to get 3 l/100km in daily driving, but only the European fuel consumption test. The engine an transmission are tuned to a few sets of known speeds and accelerations, while on the road you need the whole spectrum of driving styles.

Your ZX was probably made before car companies started fine-tuning cars to the test only. Also, the test has changed a few times, making it harder to beat.

finalkev1 07-03-2012 05:30 AM

@Piwoslaw : Yes, you're right, the lupo is made for the consumption test, and not for daily driving... my Cotren ZX wasn't tuning for this test, that's why i did 20% less than EPA.
Oh, i saw your performance for fuel consumption with your 307 SW, it's a very good one!

@ California98Civic : There is no extra pound on the car, i rarely use the A/C, no brakes dragging, and it's a robotic gearbox. I drive at the speed limits, always. Good idea for the fuel log, I do it on spritmonitor.de, but there no graph. Graph are always better to see the evolution. Thanks!